Megane E-Tech

Yes, they have a reverse cycle air conditioner basically, but it's used for shifting heat around wherever it needs to go. If the battery's too hot and the cabin is too cold, it moves heat from the battery to the cabin. If it's hot in the cabin as well as the battery, the heat is moved to outside the car. Most electric cars until now have not done this - they've had fluid cooling for batteries but not used a heat pump, and the cabins have been heated with resistance heating. That is not what I want. It's too inefficient. Usually a manufacturer will tell us if it's a heat pump. If they say nothing, I'm suspicious.
I notice that in Europe, the Techno spec level of the Megane eTech comes with a heat pump. It lists this as a feature it has, which is absent on the cheaper model. If we get the same spec in our Techno, then we could expect a heat pump. But I would expect Renault to crow about it, which they aren't doing. So I'm concerned.

Thanks for the explanation. Of course, the other possibility is that they just don't mention it in Australia because the marketers here just don't think the average Australian consumer will have any idea of the significance?? We normally seem to get the top spec of most European models that come here rather than the basic spec.

Yes, they have a reverse cycle air conditioner basically, but it's used for shifting heat around wherever it needs to go. If the battery's too hot and the cabin is too cold, it moves heat from the battery to the cabin. If it's hot in the cabin as well as the battery, the heat is moved to outside the car. Most electric cars until now have not done this - they've had fluid cooling for batteries but not used a heat pump, and the cabins have been heated with resistance heating. That is not what I want. It's too inefficient. Usually a manufacturer will tell us if it's a heat pump. If they say nothing, I'm suspicious.
I notice that in Europe, the Techno spec level of the Megane eTech comes with a heat pump. It lists this as a feature it has, which is absent on the cheaper model. If we get the same spec in our Techno, then we could expect a heat pump. But I would expect Renault to crow about it, which they aren't doing. So I'm concerned.