Megane E-Tech

JoBo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
New E-Megan’s coming! Hope they learnt from Tesla and have an integrated set up not like the snake pit of hoses in many other EVs

There it is, a 20 minute commercial. Bit sad they get a non tech savvy salesman to do it :( Doubt the car has nonpotential self combusting solid state batteries (wonder if he knew the difference anyway?)

A very poor effort. Renault has really disappointed, they had a big first mover advantage they have squandered :(

Its basically an ICE platform retrofitted, just like the Zoe. Terrible packaging - it has all the disadvantages of an SUV and an ICE, and none of the EV - thats an achievement...

No front storage, front wheel drive only (really...?), a rubbish boot with no under flor storage. And of course, its a fucking suv....

Model 3/Y money, and technology thats at least 5 years behind. Fail.

Maybe that's why they don't want a tech savvy reviewer :unsure:

Maybe that's why they don't want a tech savvy reviewer :unsure:
At the end of the day, they'll sell stack of them to the fuckwits that love SUVs and shiny infotainment systems, and so long as its an EV frankly thats all good from my viewpoint.

But like the Koleos, it adds absolutely nothing to the world or to moving the technology in any way forward so it get a solid C minus grade from me.

Its what you expect from an ICE manufacturer struggling to adapt. Even Ford did better with the Mach E and F150 Lightning...

Haakon is well known, nay, famous for his anti-SUV rants. In the face of reality, of course. The question often crosses my mind, "What kind of car would Haakon have bought if he was buying it in the fifties and sixties?" Would his gentleman's carriage have looked like everyone else's? Would it have had tailfins, a weathershield, and a Fox Tail aerial? The only option to a sedan back then was a station wagon, panel van or utility. I bet he hated those! I imagine Haakon was suitably un-impressed with the first hatchback on the market (An R16) and cursed all the stupid people that bought those as well! It is worth pointing out that Renault have a large parts bin and a limited budget and using some of their existing components in the design and production of a new vehicle (with electric power) would have made sense, mechanically, economically and engineering wise. Front wheel drive power is now universal except for manufacturers and customers that have yet to get their heads around the concept. Vehicle styling is also a matter of personal taste and if you don't like the look of my car, don't look at it! :)

Just for Haakon, and it's another one.......
Alpine SUV.GIF

What a joke!!
Bastardising the Alpine name on STUPID USELESS VEHICLES
AND NOT EVEN FRENCH MADE!

Memories of a Holden Brougham
Or a Ford Landau
Or a Limosine Datsun Bluebird!!!

Feeble attempts at so called "marketing" leads to mediocraty
for small minded sheep.

What a joke!!

Or a Ford Landau

for small minded sheep.
That is a bit like the new MG that is now an SUV from China.

You see a fair few of them around, by all accounts they seem to be pretty reliable.

What a joke!!

Or a Ford Landau

for small minded sheep.
"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Memories of Rolls-Royce made by Rolls-Royce or a Bentley made by Bentley, both of them seem to sell enough cars to mindless sheep
A large proportion of "French" vehicles are not made in France................

Hi all - seems a few bits of more detailed info on the electric Megane are needed!
1. It is NOT built on an ICE platform. (Unlike my Kona). The E-Tech Megane is built on an electric-only platform. (It is in fact the CMF-EV platform as used in the Nissan Ariya). As such, the EV tech in it is fairly recent.
2. As it is on the CMF-EV platform - an AWD version is perfectly possible (the Ariya has an AWD option already). Renault are for now limiting it to FWD only.
3. Technically, it is not an SUV - rather, it is classed as a 'crossover'. (AKA looks like an SUV but a bit smaller/lower. The E-Tech having the current boofy Renault corporate nose does not help it's looks escape the SUV tag though ;-)
4. It is also only a medium/small-ish car by today's standards. At 4.2m long it is the same size as a series 3 Megane hatch. (And significantly smaller than a Model Y Tesla).
5. The E-Tech will fully replace the existing ICE Megane - i.e. the Megane will become an electric-only model.
6. If it helps - when (if?) it arrives, I will do a full test drive of it write-up for TheDriven. (TheDriven.io)

Cheers
Bryce

Hi all - seems a few bits of more detailed info on the electric Megane are needed!
1. It is NOT built on an ICE platform. (Unlike my Kona). The E-Tech Megane is built on an electric-only platform. (It is in fact the CMF-EV platform as used in the Nissan Ariya). As such, the EV tech in it is fairly recent.
2. As it is on the CMF-EV platform - an AWD version is perfectly possible (the Ariya has an AWD option already). Renault are for now limiting it to FWD only.
3. Technically, it is not an SUV - rather, it is classed as a 'crossover'. (AKA looks like an SUV but a bit smaller/lower. The E-Tech having the current boofy Renault corporate nose does not help it's looks escape the SUV tag though ;-)
4. It is also only a medium/small-ish car by today's standards. At 4.2m long it is the same size as a series 3 Megane hatch. (And significantly smaller than a Model Y Tesla).
5. The E-Tech will fully replace the existing ICE Megane - i.e. the Megane will become an electric-only model.
6. If it helps - when (if?) it arrives, I will do a full test drive of it write-up for TheDriven. (TheDriven.io)

Cheers
Bryce
Looking forward to that Bryce, though at this stage it very much looks like replacement of the current Megane with another Diesel fueled vehicle as they slowly work out the incentives (or otherwise). People should be able to choose how they transition, rather than be bludgeoned with mandated penalties to have to changeover (no real choice) the hallmarks of socialized dictatorships.

In fact I would probably resist dictatorial change rather than accept, while I have some freedom of choice where and how to expend my hard earned..:rolleyes: I watch the UK reports on the same issues.

Ken

Cheers
Bryce
Hello there Bryce,
In the showroom event, did you manage to find out if the Australian-delivered models will have a heat pump? I have read that Europe gets a heat pump, but the UK is given only resistive cabin heating and therefore uses more power for heating. I really wouldn't want to buy a battery-powered car that uses resistance heating.

Interesting conversations are yet to be had.

I saw a Megane E tech for the first time in the flesh recently at the Melbourne French Car Day.
It is certainly a snappy looking car and a lot lower and smaller than anticipated.
Obviously thoughtfully designed by Renault. It REALLY needs to be successful in the market.
Lots of favourable reviews.
I am a Renault die-hard with several models having served me well in the past.
My current daily is a 2009 Megane Sport 175 Diesel with 250,000 K's on the clock.
Ordinarily at this juncture I should be looking for an appropriate replacement...
BUT... No thanks....
Until my 175 DCI waves all four Michelins in the air, I will persevere with it.
Great poise, comfort, handling, performance and low fuel consumption etc.etc.

All for environmental care, but really? Has it been thought through sufficiently?
* Brown coal fired power generation in Vic and predominantly fossil fuels.
* More mining for rare earth / metals.
* Chinese processing and battery production with lax environmental controls.
* Recycling lip service. It ain't going to happen!
* Fires that cannot be put out - 2 car carriers and Luton car park, Mascot control tower.
* Understandable EV parking bans on the cards.
* Much higher insurance costs.
* Huge depreciation.
* Ever larger, heavier vehicles - should be smaller.
etc.etc.

I think I will wait patiently.

Hello there Bryce,
In the showroom event, did you manage to find out if the Australian-delivered models will have a heat pump? I have read that Europe gets a heat pump, but the UK is given only resistive cabin heating and therefore uses more power for heating. I really wouldn't want to buy a battery-powered car that uses resistance heating.
How is a heat pump heater implemented? Are they making the AC system work in reverse cycle?