Manufacture of engine sleeves in 3rd world country

It would be true to say if you used clean cast iron from sleeves and engine castings and the like it could produce a good product. But if you use those curved seat pieces or exhaust manifolds that are burnt out and rusty and old building decorations etc you might get any quality. Cast iron was a wonder material back in the day and they had expertise to get a good product that was used even for bridges. Old cast iron machinery lasted for 100 years. Now we could be even better if we tried but those guys might not always have the good information. After all Honda himself started out making CI rings for rebuilding the little motors after WW2 but they were shit quality and did not last. However he went to college to find out how to do it properly and worked his business up from there. :headbanger"
Jaahn
I agree, if you melted down old pistons to make new pistons it would be a piston alloy. If you melted down old cylinder heads to make new cylinder heads you would have a suitable alloy for cylinder heads and if you melted down a gold wedding ring to make a new ring it would still be a gold ring. It's plain logic.

Hmm well Graham as you might get to casting a block and head for an engine in the future I will make this comment.

Oils ain't oils ya' know. While high quality gold does not oxidise and can be melted and recast without losses, possibly less pure gold alloys might not be so good and mixing rings might end up with less valuable ring material. Not much experience there. But our wedding ring is still going ok, 53 years ago tomorrow actually. :giggle:

But aluminum is made in many many different alloys, differing in classes by the alloys added to the mix. Even pistons and heads etc might be different classes of alloy from one lot to the next. This is said to be helpful not be scarey. EG pistons/heads/? can be die cast or sand cast as can other items. So some selective scrap selection is called for for a good outcome.
Some heat treatment is needed for some head alloys as discussed in another thread. https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/brinell-test-failure-options.147104/

If you could get an analysis done on a batch that would be ideal, by casting a test bar, even testing the items going in.
Here is a not unreasonable cost machine, second hand, that could do it. :confused: there are sellers in the US.
1664777848051.png

There could be a person around who could zap a cast test bar for you. PeterT ?? A gold buyer even ?
Jaahn

Last edited:
I agree, if you melted down old pistons to make new pistons it would be a piston alloy. If you melted down old cylinder heads to make new cylinder heads you would have a suitable alloy for cylinder heads and if you melted down a gold wedding ring to make a new ring it would still be a gold ring. It's plain logic.
Need to see the Movie, "The Fastest Indian"
He melted down one Ford and 4 Chev pistons to make a piston for his Indian Motorbike.
He squeezed 190 MPH from an old Indian Scout
That is 305 KPH so should easy get 200kph for the Renault

Actually why muck around with recasting just machine and resleeve the cylinder
This guys do 2 in to 8 in up to 24 in long.
Now that is a big bore stroked engine

Actually why muck around with recasting just machine and resleeve the cylinder
This guys do 2 in to 8 in up to 24 in long.
Now that is a big bore stroked engine
Well the biggest engine I have worked on was (by memory !) 500mm bore x 750MM stroke and had sleeves, 5 cyl supercharged two stroke too ??🛳️ :rolleyes: :giggle: :headbanger"
Jaahn

But aluminum is made in many many different alloys, differing in classes by the alloys added to the mix. Even pistons and heads etc might be different classes of alloy from one lot to the next. This is said to be helpful not be scarey. EG pistons/heads/? can be die cast or sand cast as can other items. So some selective scrap selection is called for for a good outcome.
Some heat treatment is needed for some head alloys
Regardless of the alloy mix though the donor material will never be the same unless it receives the same heat treatment as it did per the original application.

Mark Williams makes 7075 grade aluminium tailshafts for various uses (up to 3000 HP Pro Mods) and the uni yokes are glued into the shaft.
The heat from welding, regardless of any attempts to "retreat" the material resulted in significantly weakened areas, hence they developed their bonding process.

I'm trying to imagineer the best way to build a long heat treat oven actually. Be it gas or electric I'm sure it can be done with a modified commercial electric oven or even a gas BBQ. I'd prefer gas so I don't overload the circuitry in my 1965 vintage house.

I'm trying to imagineer the best way to build a long heat treat oven actually. Be it gas or electric I'm sure it can be done with a modified commercial electric oven or even a gas BBQ. I'd prefer gas so I don't overload the circuitry in my 1965 vintage house.
Induction heating only way to go.