Manufacture of engine sleeves in 3rd world country

jaahn

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I decided to start a new thread for this so the other alloy casting and straight 8 engine threads can run on their own. I have been sucked in by watching these guys producing items that look like reasonable quality and using the parts to repair/ rebuild/ recondition engines and machinery we just discard. Mostly using low tek machinery and manual skill we have forgotten.
There are lots of these Utube videos and I think are from India or Parkistan most likely. The home built rigs used for casting are amazing. Not sure about the quality control ??
Enjoy;
Plenty more where that comes from too.
Jaahn

Applying moldwash when smoking and casting iron in sandals, but they seem to know their stuff.

I’m nervous when poring aluminium wearing flame proof clothes, apron and face shield…

Applying moldwash when smoking and casting iron in sandals, but they seem to know their stuff.

I’m nervous when poring aluminium wearing flame proof clothes, apron and face shield…
I can’t imagine the workers spent much time in TAFE or took a day off mourning the passing of E. Windsor.

Having spent some years trying to rid the world of fake/pirate "Genuine" Perkins Engine Parts, most (but not all) of which were expertly made out of rubbish material on the sub-continent, even packaged exactly like the real thing but with a service life of months, I suspect that the pirates expertise does not encompass anything to do with the science of metallurgy!

Having spent some years trying to rid the world of fake/pirate "Genuine" Perkins Engine Parts, most (but not all) of which were expertly made out of rubbish material on the sub-continent, even packaged exactly like the real thing but with a service life of months, I suspect that the pirates expertise does not encompass anything to do with the science of metallurgy!
Probably correct Kim, not too many foundries in those countries equipped with centrifugal casting equipment, that we were told was essential along with metallurgical checks over the molten material processing to produce top quality sleeve material. I am always amazed at the ingenuity though, that is displayed in those almost backyard operations.

Ken

A few years back I did a r25 engine rebuild and thought I’d get some new pistons and liners.
I reckon that guy in the video made them.

total waste of money. So out of round and cone shaped were they…. Wrong on every measurement I could make.
that was just dimensional flaws. Who knows what type of crapy cast iron alloy they were made from.
The bin didn’t care.

Hmm yes the problem is mainly, possibly, the feed stock selection initially. They look like they throw in any scrap they can get. Possibly a case for a metallurgist with a hand held analyser to get into it and disrupt their business model, for the best.

Ken they were using centrifugal molds for the casting. That impressed me as I did not expect that. Possibly not rotating fast enough for high centrifugal forces. But certainly forcing the rubbish to the center to be machined away. :confused:

I heard a B&S rep talk years ago about the problem in Asia with backyard operators making replacement pistons and conrods for their motors. They were dirt cheap and forced B&S to cut their silly inflated prices for genuine spares to a more sensible level. They tried to force their Aussie dealers to only sell genuine but they refused as they were so bloody expensive. Actually the others parts worked OK in my very limited experience. ;)

My old steelworks Commsteel uses scrap for feedstock to a high percentage to produce high quality special steels of many types for the market. They do use metalurgists and production testing before, during, and after the melt and additions of alloys to ensure in spec results though. :cool:
jaahn

Sochaux 1950's.
cylinder liners.jpg

Don't underestimate India. As well as backyarders they have modern casting works. India is a major railway manufacturer, witness the Sydney driverless trains. Makers such as Alstom build there, as all the supplier support exists..

Last edited:
Don't underestimate India. As well as backyarders they have modern casting works. India is a major railway manufacturer, witness the Sydney driverless trains. Makers such as Alstom build there, as all the supplier support exists..
Would that be the trains that "don't fit" or some other kind? They probably build ferries as well.......

You read the wrong papers Kim. The Indian computer driven trains are excellent, if you ignore the bum-breaking new NSW standardised seats that were specified. Look up Sydney Metro.

The Korean-built inter-city trains didn't fit because a public employee didn't realise that there are (were) two width gauges at stations and tunnels in this state and it wasn't picked up.. Every schoolboy train fan could have told him. Nobody has criticised the trains, except a union that wants a strike excuse..

The ferry problems are several, some also due to mis-specification - eg the under-bridge clearance problem.. Why harbour catamaran ferries are faring badly in the swells at the heads isn't a build problem - its misuse.

It's not foreign construction - it's sloppy work by our people

Gee I'm glad this is a technical thread about making iron sleeves and not a slanderous attempt at discrediting our friends over there. :rolleyes:

You read the wrong papers Kim. The Indian computer driven trains are excellent, if you ignore the bum-breaking new NSW standardised seats that were specified. Look up Sydney Metro.

The Korean-built inter-city trains didn't fit because a public employee didn't realise that there are (were) two width gauges at stations and tunnels in this state and it wasn't picked up.. Every schoolboy train fan could have told him. Nobody has criticised the trains, except a union that wants a strike excuse..

The ferry problems are several, some also due to mis-specification - eg the under-bridge clearance problem.. Why harbour catamaran ferries are faring badly in the swells at the heads isn't a build problem - its misuse.

It's not foreign construction - it's sloppy work by our people

Incredulous stupidity is not just something owned by New South Wales, except that their procurement process seems to have focussed on providing inanely ineffective public transport vehicles and vessels that were sourced overseas, where other states seem to have been able to manufacture their public transport requirements to a realistic specification in-house. I wouldn't mention cracking problems found in everything marine and rail that NSW bought overseas except that those problems make their purchases unsafe.

Listen go away please and only discuss the subject. You have already started to hijack this thread Kim with BS that is not helpful to anyone. You do not know when to stop. Please stop !
jaahn

I think I spot a cylinder from a scooter or small motorcycle. Those I’ve seen have been from aluminium except the liner. Have not seen to many Indian or Pakistani ones though..

CA5AFE2B-1A84-4529-AB62-60E88A8A689D.jpeg

Hi Reidar :giggle:
The small engine bikes thoughout Asia would have cast iron cylinders I believe. They are 50- 125 CC and are genuine Hondas or copies of the old step-through models. Old designs even if newly made.
Who needs a big capacity engine if, like one we went on, it can pull a side car for two people and have the rider and a second pillion, all with 50CC and three gears ?? :rolleyes: Who needs speed.
In Indonesia quite some years back, we saw some old post WW2 BSA bikes with side cars, some OHV some even side valve types doing 'taxi' work. They had been continuously kept going for 50 years then by local remanufacture and steady driving. :approve:

It would be true to say if you used clean cast iron from sleeves and engine castings and the like it could produce a good product. But if you use those curved seat pieces or exhaust manifolds that are burnt out and rusty and old building decorations etc you might get any quality. Cast iron was a wonder material back in the day and they had expertise to get a good product that was used even for bridges. Old cast iron machinery lasted for 100 years. Now we could be even better if we tried but those guys might not always have the good information. After all Honda himself started out making CI rings for rebuilding the little motors after WW2 but they were shit quality and did not last. However he went to college to find out how to do it properly and worked his business up from there. :headbanger"
Jaahn

Listen go away please and only discuss the subject. You have already started to hijack this thread Kim with BS that is not helpful to anyone. You do not know when to stop. Please stop !
jaahn

I'm simply pointing out that with many products sourced overseas what you see is not necessarily what you get, all that glisters is not gold and as with counterfeit Perkins Parts their quality can leave much to be desired. In the marine field we have been purchasing good quality stainless products from the same companies in Taiwan for over twenty years with absolutely no problems. Sourced from China or elsewhere the stainless literally has lumps of high carbon steel in it. Who can guess the quality of scrap metal reconstituted in corporate backyard furnaces, let alone their production methods and metallurgical expertise?

Some examples of Asian motorbikes parked and with family loads. And the old BSA becak taxis that are around in Indonesia.
1664407879132.png
Motor bikes Vietnam (2)r.jpg
1664407232789.png
1664407435892.png

Last edited: