Kugelfischer dreaming

luthier

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hey TI dudes,
I was grazing on Google images of Kugelfischer, [as you do] and came across this interesting photo.
50475AndersonEngine.jpg

As you see they've made extended air intakes and possibly have a blower in the filter section.
The 'log' appears to be totally redone as well and the throttle butterfly could be electronic?
It is obviously a race car from the cross brace between the struts and the lettering on the front.

Can anyone shed more light on the workings of this creation?
I see from the image name it is an Anderson engine if that means anything. Having googled that I found a company but not sure if it would have been the same.
It also has Dave McBean on the name and I see he is an AF member, so perhaps Dave can tell us about this engine?

Last edited:
This is the engine of Ove Anderson's 1975 Safari Rally winning 504. It has a 170hp engine with Kugelfischer fuel injection. Notice the much larger throttle body and plenum chamber than a standard 504TI. It also has unique inlet runners, a distributor extension and a tubular exhaust manifold/headers. Notice also the water proofed ignition system and the suspension strut brace.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/w...eohsindex.html

My KF2 pump is in Nottingham right now and was just rebuilt by Steve! Getting it on the way through town next week....

The OP is the 165 HP 504 Injection rally car from 1975. No blower.

Hi Mike (and thanks for the share of that stuff before) I spent 30 years in that town! great place. I hope you enjoy being there.

I'm planning on taking my 504 TI pump system there when I next return.

(BTW... I found the size of the special measuring spanner that Peugeot use to check the extending rod gap that leans the system as the engine gets hot (I measure when the cooling fan kicks in)
it is 12.5 mm , r's mike

My KF2 pump is in Nottingham right now and was just rebuilt by Steve! Getting it on the way through town next week....

The OP is the 165 HP 504 Injection rally car from 1975. No blower.

Okay Luthier old son............ let's see you graft that set up into the 203. That'll beat that blower you haven't installed yet! :headbang:

Hi, there is also a bit of Kugelfischer servicing in the Wheeler Dealer episode on a BMW 2002 tii.

This time over in California at Pacific Fuel Injection (Gus Pfister). There is some good information on them including a cut-away version so you can see how it works.

A very bad copy of the video can be found at https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x51yzv7. The good stuff is at 30:25 and make sure you select HQ mode.

The graduated cylinders look more extreme than they are in differences. Steve says his tolerance between cylinders is 0.5 mL and this "low" one is 0.2 mL (KF documentation says 1 mL/stroke variance maximum) so it's all good.

The flow amount is adjusted by the ball seat setting, not changing the pistons!

I picked up my pump today (Tuesday). Steve (in photo beside the tourist in the loud red shirt) showed me the little plunger and barrel assemblies that had been marked up by inactivity and corrosion and so all four were changed for new ones.
40935415793_c8cf336617_b.jpg

47113454504_0ee2745be3_b.jpg

Okay Luthier old son............ let's see you graft that set up into the 203. That'll beat that blower you haven't installed yet! :headbang:

I'd rather have red hot needles inserted up the eye of my dick than ever have to own or work on a Kugelfisher again, thanks Dee.
But good luck to all the hopefuls. Just make sure your electric fuel pump doesn't pump too hard boys. Mine did and the fuel bypassed the kugel pump and filled up the sump. I was amazed when I checked the oil to find it so clean and so high.
I was SOOOOO lucky I didn't EXPLODE!!!!!!!!
My wife and I had previously spent the night stranded in the car, freezing , with huge petrol fumes, having filled the tank 5 k's earlier only to find we were suddenly out of gas. It was the most diabolical engine I've ever had the misfortune to own.

And what was the reason for the sudden increase in the pumping pressure of the electric fuel pump ? I seem to recall the existence of a return to tank line and de-gassing container that would likely to be able to handle at least as much fuel as the pump could deliver.

I had this happen on a 404 that i had fitted an injection motor to .I leant the car to my sister in law and it must have stalled when she parked it and the ignition was left on [it had a non standard ignition switch fitted].The next day she said petrol was coming out the bottom of the engine .The sump was full with petrol and 2 injectors were blown and it ran on 2 cylinders .Once the injectors were replaced with s/h ones and the sumo drained and refilled it ran as normal again.

Yes mine was fitted to a non TI 504 and the Bosch electric fuel pump put out way too much pressure. I looked but couldn't find the appropriate pump , from memory it needed somewhere between 20 and 40psi and such pumps are rare and expensive, so I invented a return system which had a Tpiece after the pump with one side returning to the tank and the other side regulated with a dial pressure reg. That fixed the problem of the fuel. but then I took the car on an unfortunate trip carrying my Moto Guzzi to SA to deliver to a buyer, and during that trip the TI head began to have serious valve recession such that after an adjustment at West Wyalong it was closing up by the SA border and I was so pissed off I drove it home without a further adjustment which only just got me home and used copious gallons of fuel. At that point I took the head off and returned it to a carby head. It was truly a bastard of a car.

My current 504 cab has a VLcommodore electric pump fitted. I took it to BM fuel services and had it dyno tuned at the same time and they said there would be no problems. That was about 5 years ago and no problems since. PS the 404 that had the fuel pumping into the cylinders had a standard ti feed pump at the tank.

Last edited:
VL Commodore electric pump worked for my KF2 setup as well, although now has a 504 TI pump fitted, also behaving itself.

Other possibly useful tip for those contemplating such a conversion is that the fuel pump mount for a Datsun 280Z ( an otherwise uninspiring car ) makes a very nice mount for it which is well cushioned and bolts straight into a 404

Andrew

I'm sorry ...........I didn't mean to laugh but you conjured up such a vivid mental image I couldn't help it! Ten out of ten for matrimonial tolerance to your wife also ....... or were you on your honeymoon? There again maybe she decided to wait until you both got home so she could dig out the sewing kit.( Naturally, I presume she would need a lot of needles !!!) :trouslap: ...... Ithink that is a Kugel Fish by the way!
Cheers. Dee.

Oh, I love Carbies!!!!!!

Having read further and discovering you were also playing with Italian motorcycles I have been forced to conclude that you are the victim of your own enthusiasms..... Motorcycles?...... Italian?........ Next you'll be telling us you blew up letter boxes on Cracker Night as a child whilst blowing on the wick for a faster burn.:burnboun:
Cheers
Deane (but I still prefer carbies!)

Having read further and discovering you were also playing with Italian motorcycles I have been forced to conclude that you are the victim of your own enthusiasms..... Motorcycles?...... Italian?........ Next you'll be telling us you blew up letter boxes on Cracker Night as a child whilst blowing on the wick for a faster burn.:burnboun:
Cheers
Deane (but I still prefer carbies!)

Er , didn't everybody? Thrupenny bungers under metal buckets would go 40feet in the air. And cracker guns full of nails and snails to pummel the garden gnomes, yes those were the days.
I don't quite understand what you are saying about Italian Motorcycles though. Victim? Que? I now ride a Ducati ST3 which is the most beautiful fast well handling bit of machinery I ever piloted.
For masochism I also have an old Trumpy TR7RV , not really old, 1973, just nicely old. A lovely thing in it's own write as it were.