Jaeger DS Clock

We'll know....

too true.
also there will be an audible click click from a quartz rather than a grinding kinda swoosh from the "perfectly relliable and proper" citroen original.... :joker:

but that of course is only when the car is resting in tits garage, coz the moment the engine starts you are treated to the drone of a tractor engine and the rattle of a hydraulic pump to hide any offending quartz click.....:D

too true.
also there will be an audible click click from a quartz rather than a grinding kinda swoosh from the "perfectly relliable and proper" citroen original.... :joker:

but that of course is only when the car is resting in tits garage, coz the moment the engine starts you are treated to the drone of a tractor engine and the rattle of a hydraulic pump to hide any offending quartz click.....:D

...and here I was thinking the incessant 'tick tick' of a quartz clock would be what kept me awake....

...and here I was thinking the incessant 'tick tick' of a quartz clock would be what kept me awake....

If the dash clock in your 23 doesnt work, you will know how to 'fix' it thanks to this thread..... and enjoy the grinding gentle swish rather than a modern click click...:crazy:

How true...

I've been wondering, and can't remember seeing reference to it here, if the clock out of a R12 would fit....

Same proportions (not sure on size) and Jaeger too....

How true...

I've been wondering, and can't remember seeing reference to it here, if the clock out of a R12 would fit....

Same proportions (not sure on size) and Jaeger too....

same size but different design with a thicker suround and they have a second hand too(??)

I found George Tandy's shop by complete fluke on Cambridge street Wembley, he has been doing car instrument repairs for 40 years and says he has done heaps of Jaeger over the years, so I just dropped a couple of DS clocks in there for repair last week. Will post outcome & costs, he certainly seems to know his way around all this stuff..

http://www.tandyinstruments.com.au/

OK, I've now had my old 8-day Jaeger dashboard clock completely overhauled and repaired and it is going well. George also recalibrated my old barometer. Back to his workshop and there is a pile of old clocks and things that weren't there before.

I'm pretty impressed.

I'd recommend anyone else try him for such things. Fascinating range of things in the workshop too, from dashboard instruments guages to barometers, via clocks!

Dear all,

I just wanted to say thanks for one of the funniest threads I have read for ages.

Now, where's that Absinthe...

OK, I've now had my old 8-day Jaeger dashboard clock completely overhauled and repaired and it is going well. George also recalibrated my old barometer. Back to his workshop and there is a pile of old clocks and things that weren't there before.

I'm pretty impressed.

I'd recommend anyone else try him for such things. Fascinating range of things in the workshop too, from dashboard instruments guages to barometers, via clocks!

My final word on this one I expect. The old Jaeger car clock is keeping remarkablely good time, better than one minute in the day, so I'd reiterate that George Tandy really seems to know his stuff. There aren't too many folk around who do this sort of work.

So glad we can also cause such amusement - clocks and watches cause the same afflictions as Citroens, so if you have both diseases at once..........

I just remembered that one of the way back past presidents of CCC NSW is an horologist. He probably knows how to fix them. Pity he now lives and works in Belgium.

I just remembered that one of the way back past presidents of CCC NSW is an horologist. He probably knows how to fix them. Pity he now lives and works in Belgium.

That is inconsiderate of him. You gave him permission for this move?

Some of these devices cannot realistically be fixed if too far gone I suspect. Old fashioned clockwork ones seem always fixable!

That is inconsiderate of him. You gave him permission for this move?

Some of these devices cannot realistically be fixed if too far gone I suspect. Old fashioned clockwork ones seem always fixable!

He moved to Belgium pre Craig and Deb joining CCCNSW. Maybe he sensed something?:rolleyes:

...just thought I'd pass this on :wink2:

I've managed to get my hands on a very nice working Jaeger clock, but in the process have had to buy a couple before getting one that works.

Today I thought I'd have look at one that wasn't working and pulled it apart. Quite easy, remove the time adjustment knob, gently prise off the plastic face cover, undo two fixing screws on the back - one of these is attached to the earth connection, release the mechanism.

Once free of the body I connected it up to 12v and earthed to the mechanism frame - and the little beasty kicked into action. It would seem the mechanism is shielded from the metal body and relies on the earth fixing screw being clean and tight. Put it back together and it has now kept good time for 6 hours.

Could be that many of these clocks don't need any more than removing the earth screw cleaning and replacing?

Cheers
Chris

I am certainly going to try that. I bought a clock some time ago that worked for a while but then seemed to give up the ghost.

Spotted one on EBay from the USA last week and made a bid but beaten in the last 30 seconds. Went outside to the car and heard a ticking.

30 minutes later the ticking had stopped again. I went in for lunch and found an EBay "second chance" email... bought the clock for my final bid :)

The seller claims it works so here's hoping.

I am certainly going to try that. I bought a clock some time ago that worked for a while but then seemed to give up the ghost.

Spotted one on EBay from the USA last week and made a bid but beaten in the last 30 seconds. Went outside to the car and heard a ticking.

30 minutes later the ticking had stopped again. I went in for lunch and found an EBay "second chance" email... bought the clock for my final bid :)

The seller claims it works so here's hoping.

Was that hanging around $18.00 for a while? If it was it looked pretty good and I was tempted 'cause we all know a Jaeger is going to let you down and we need at least two in working order (and I paid a damn site more for the ones I puchased). :roflmao: :roflmao:

Cheers
Chris

HA!
I bet that was the one I bid on? went for US$15.50
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130542138240&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

There was also this one in France went for E15.50
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180695060159&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The French one is the correct one for the DS the American one has a sweep second hand which was not fitted to the DS. (As far as I can find out so far)

Yep, it was the French one I remember seeing, that is so cheap compared to what they can go for - and looks pretty, even if it doesn't work. I've gone off the American clocks, I have two here and whilst they work, on both the time adjustment knob has disintegrated in my hand.

Cheers
Chris

...just thought I'd pass this on :wink2:

I've managed to get my hands on a very nice working Jaeger clock, but in the process have had to buy a couple before getting one that works.

Today I thought I'd have look at one that wasn't working and pulled it apart. Quite easy, remove the time adjustment knob, gently prise off the plastic face cover, undo two fixing screws on the back - one of these is attached to the earth connection, release the mechanism.

Once free of the body I connected it up to 12v and earthed to the mechanism frame - and the little beasty kicked into action. It would seem the mechanism is shielded from the metal body and relies on the earth fixing screw being clean and tight. Put it back together and it has now kept good time for 6 hours.

Could be that many of these clocks don't need any more than removing the earth screw cleaning and replacing?

Cheers
Chris

Chris

is that the screw on the back with the head or the thread on the right with the nut on it?

Matthew