Jaeger DS Clock

I am wondering if it is worth sending stuff for repair from the other side of the country.

Roger

Seemed pretty good to me when I visited Roger. Instruments and clocks from a pretty wide range of vehicles are being repaired and overhauled. I've a 4" Jaeger 8-day car clock in there for a quote now.

The only other place I've come across that may be similar is Dennis Burr in Shepparton, who advertises in the Renault 4CV Register.

I suggest you ring George up and have a chat. The phone number is on the link further up the thread I think.

The best way is for a few of our group to give him a try I reckon. That's what I'm doing anyway.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

My office is directly opposite (that's how I found him) the business is called Oceanica. I usually walk or cycle in but sometimes there is black D parked underneath the building- like now :) I am there every week day (unfortunately) so when you are next around drop in ask for Mark with the old citroen as it would be good to meet you.

Apparently my clock is RS, he said it had been dropped at some stage and wasn't repairable. Still waiting to hear back on the fate of Ross's (rmac's), will give a full account then.

M.

Hi John,

My office is directly opposite (that's how I found him) the business is called Oceanica. I usually walk or cycle in but sometimes there is black D parked underneath the building- like now :) I am there every week day (unfortunately) so when you are next around drop in ask for Mark with the old citroen as it would be good to meet you.

Apparently my clock is RS, he said it had been dropped at some stage and wasn't repairable. Still waiting to hear back on the fate of Ross's (rmac's), will give a full account then.

M.

So close! You didn't see the silver grey BX Estate parked outside late yesterday morning I suppose?

I was impressed by what I saw - talk about hiding a business! He seems to have plenty on, and I imagine is quite well known in classic car circles judging by the speedos sitting around.

Off to Jakarta today, so I'll look you up in March.

Cheers

The clock on my DS 23 Pallas,does not work ,and a long time ago I pulled it apart ,to see what the problem was,from what I could see, some of the plastic gears looked to be worn. I wonder if there is anyone in Melbourne than can repair it,or is it un repairable because of the worn gears ? Cheers

Yes please do John.

I just went in and picked up the two clocks we had in there.
1. both are RS :(
2. rmac's: the pendulum mechanism has come into contact with the very fine coil wires and broken some of them so that it runs but doesn't have enough power to keep time (caused by the very thin spindle bending slightly). The coil is not repairable.
3. Mine has been shocked/dropped in the past 40 years so that the pivot and jewel is broken. Unreapairable.

No charge, but he usually charges $37 for quotes.

His general comments:
- the quartz mechanisms in these have some pretty fine tolerances so it doesn't take much abuse to kill them, so e-bay purchases could be very pot-luck.
- the mechanisms are crimped/pressed together rather than screwed so pulling them apart & cobbling together a few old clocks to make one working one is possible but not something he has ever done before and potentially very time consuming ($).
- would be very painful to try and retro fit new movement into old case

So that's it really...back to correct time twice a day for us

I have purchased two of these from Ebay USA, OK they are not Jaeger, but unless you have an absolutely original car is the difference so abhorrent?? Both clocks have been tested since arriving and both are keeping very good time 24/7. These are an exact fit into the dash of a D with no modifications required. The same seller in the US lists these for $12.00 it costs about the same for shipping. The sweeping second hand is an added bonus. :wink2:

I'm currently experimenting with a hot foil to rejuvinate the frame trim, if it works dash rims etc.

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

I have purchased two of these from Ebay USA, OK they are not Jaeger, but unless you have an absolutely original car is the difference so abhorrent?? Both clocks have been tested since arriving and both are keeping very good time 24/7.

Cheers
Chris

Chris, you will be guillotined at lunch if you prefer to have brekky first, you not only have a non genuine working clock, it keeps good time :confused:
Have you no conscience man for the original, inoperable Jaeger :(

Go on, stand in front of your guillotine and make sure you're early, to work on those foils. :joker:

While it is great to have an original, genuine working clock, the reliable, working alternatives do have their attractions. Crikey, I've paid more than that for some of my " unmentionable " alternatives.
The quartz second hand stutter, I find unsettling, however I am a smooth sweep hand aficionado.

I post in jest...

Chris, you will be guillotined at lunch if you prefer to have brekky first, you not only have a non genuine working clock, it keeps good time :confused:
Have you no conscience man for the original, inoperable Jaeger :(

Go on, stand in front of your guillotine and make sure you're early, to work on those foils. :joker:

While it is great to have an original, genuine working clock, the reliable, working alternatives do have their attractions. Crikey, I've paid more than that for some of my " unmentionable " alternatives.
The quartz second hand stutter, I find unsettling, however I am a smooth sweep hand aficionado.

I know, I know... I shudder when you lift the bonnet and see a Bosch coil on a D... but, but Jaeger Smaeger :crazy:

Look, you anal retentives :joker: (not you Richo) it must be really easy to replace the back from one of these non-genuine clocks into your Jaeger clocks and have the best of both worlds??

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for having mine checked out Mark. Can't help bad luck. Can you save the housing for me. I might try fitting another movement or else go down the replacement route mentioned above.

Have been in touch with the man in US doing the panel to replace the cigarette lighter section with a set of holes for temperature, oil pressure gauge and two 12 volt sockets. Have asked about ten shipped to share with anyone who wants one.

If anyone is interested in trying a group buy of clocks count me in with two required.

Thanks for having mine checked out Mark. Can't help bad luck. Can you save the housing for me. I might try fitting another movement or else go down the replacement route mentioned above.

Have been in touch with the man in US doing the panel to replace the cigarette lighter section with a set of holes for temperature, oil pressure gauge and two 12 volt sockets. Have asked about ten shipped to share with anyone who wants one.

If anyone is interested in trying a group buy of clocks count me in with two required.

Hi Ross, yes sorry we struck out but at least we know, I'll post your clock back to you this week & I'll stick to using my watch :)

I'm in for a clock too please....for the sake of $12+ some postage you never know how long the original is going to work for....

....and I love the idea of the dash add-on...so yes please to that too!

Please send me details by PM

I know, I know... I shudder when you lift the bonnet and see a Bosch coil on a D... but, but Jaeger Smaeger :crazy:

Look, you anal retentives :joker: (not you Richo) it must be really easy to replace the back from one of these non-genuine clocks into your Jaeger clocks and have the best of both worlds??

Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris, c'mon, I'm an anal retentive or at worst know what is the right thing and then go the other way!

A bloke I know put a Holden Commodore ( I think ) quartz clock movement from a VB,VC or similar into the back of a Jaeger, the only problem is the light is really bright at night, you can actually see what time it is.
I have one alternative Jaeger which is quartz with a second hand from some sort of UK model Ford Granada. Bought two but only one works.
Have a couple of non working Jaegers and a rampant watch fetish.

Attachments

• Certina DS s.jpg
    Certina DS s.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 761
  • Certina DS Automatic Date s.jpg
    Certina DS Automatic Date s.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 767
  • certina DS No. 3 001s.jpg
    certina DS No. 3 001s.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,688
Hey Chris, c'mon, I'm an anal retentive or at worst know what is the right thing and then go the other way!

A bloke I know put a Holden Commodore ( I think ) quartz clock movement from a VB,VC or similar into the back of a Jaeger, the only problem is the light is really bright at night, you can actually see what time it is.
I have one alternative Jaeger which is quartz with a second hand from some sort of UK model Ford Granada. Bought two but only one works.
Have a couple of non working Jaegers and a rampant watch fetish.

Those watches all show the wrong time :nownow:

Jaeger Smaeger... :joker:

Cheers
Chris

This is the ebay seller I bought my two clocks from, he lists them one at a time but must have a swag tucked away... contact seller for a bulk buy?

This one has already reached $12.61 :cry: get in quick :roflmao:

http://global.ebay.com/JAGUAR_XJ_S_LOTUS_ELITE_CITROEN_DS_JENSEN_QUARTZ_CLOCK/140506962211/item

Cheers
Chris

Kienzle also made clocks for Citroen, they were in some GS. I have one of those clocks too, sadly it doesn't work.
Could be they were also fitted to Jags, makes sense. Plenty of them at wreckers in Oz, though probably not as cheap.

Have contacted clock seller to ask how many he has and what he wants for a bulk sale. We'll see what he says!

Will also chase up the console seller to see what is happening.

Yes please do John.

I just went in and picked up the two clocks we had in there.
1. both are RS :(
2. rmac's: the pendulum mechanism has come into contact with the very fine coil wires and broken some of them so that it runs but doesn't have enough power to keep time (caused by the very thin spindle bending slightly). The coil is not repairable.
3. Mine has been shocked/dropped in the past 40 years so that the pivot and jewel is broken. Unreapairable.

No charge, but he usually charges $37 for quotes.

His general comments:
- the quartz mechanisms in these have some pretty fine tolerances so it doesn't take much abuse to kill them, so e-bay purchases could be very pot-luck.
- the mechanisms are crimped/pressed together rather than screwed so pulling them apart & cobbling together a few old clocks to make one working one is possible but not something he has ever done before and potentially very time consuming ($).
- would be very painful to try and retro fit new movement into old case

That sounds to me as if he's giving us fair advice. I've been very dubious about eBay transistorised clock purchases - some secondhand buying is basically "someone else's trouble"! Then there is the issue of how well packed the items are relative to postal handling. Better to get one locally that hasn't been posted!

Having said all that, I'd be less than happy driving a car with a dead clock. Better no clock than one you look at that you know isn't working!!

I have a mechanical clock in the Renault 4CV, no clock in the R8. The CX clock works well and the BX has a NOS digital one.