Indianapolis F1 GP****spoiler****

chips said:
I like most of you was gutted to only see 6 cars race.
Bernie did keep his word,he said there will be 20 cars on the grid for the start of the race :D

well Im not sure if the lining up for the warmup lap qualifies as a grid for the start of the race. :)

re 10% of the movie. I think the people that stayed actually watched the whole movie, its just the 70% of the actors got photochopped out of it.

Here is Max Mosley's response to questions on all the issues regarding the USGP. In my opinion he is right on the money. I think there was more to it than what is first evident. If the tyres were so unsafe why did the teams qualify on them? I can't believe that was ok but nobody thought they would be able to cover 66 laps and gain 3 championship points. The teams simply were in a power struggle which they lost.

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2005/June/220605-01.html

max molsley said:
Did the Michelin teams have any other way of running the race if the circuit itself was unchanged?
Yes, they could have used the pit lane on each lap. The pit lane is part of the circuit. This would have avoided Turn 13 altogether. It is difficult to understand why none of them did this, because 7th and 8th places were certainly available, plus others if any of the six Bridgestone runners did not finish. There were points available which might change the outcome of the World Championship.

But that would have looked very strange – could you call that a race?
It would seem strange, but it would absolutely have been a race for the 14 cars concerned. And they would all have been at full speed for most of each lap. That would have been a show for the fans, certainly infinitely better than what happened.

is he kidding? I dont think anyone would even contemplate this seriously (or reduced speed through the corner coming onto the straight) and a week after the event most certinally NOT the FIA president. !!!

Also some of the other answers seem childish at best.

edit:
my musings on the pitlane drivethrough idea.
Pitlane is one of the most dangerous places around the race track (hence the strict speed limits there). why would FIA president even entertain the idea of forcing 14 cars to drive through it and exit it into the path of faster Bridgestone runners is beyond me. What would happen if one of the Michelin runners didnt? Pitlane drive through penalty??? :crazy:

Last edited:
tekkie said:
What would happen if one of the Michelin runners didnt? Pitlane drive through penalty??? :crazy:

Haha good point!

Thanks for the link John.

tekkie said:
my musings on the pitlane drivethrough idea...
why would FIA president even entertain the idea of forcing 14 cars to drive through it and exit it into the path of faster Bridgestone runners is beyond me. What would happen if one of the Michelin runners didnt? Pitlane drive through penalty??? :crazy:

perhaps the pitlane was not as dangerous a place turn 13 for the michelin runners :p

I don't think he was suggesting that they force the cars to use pit lane every lap, but the teams could elect to do so...

there's always a risk of incident when cars are returning to full speed from the pits, but perhaps that situation would be more familiar and safer than running cars slow though turn 13?

I think Max has made mistakes with rule changes over the last few years, but last weekend was problems were caused by Michelin, and then aggravated by their teams.

To clarify my earlier comment I thought MM had it right - that certainly doesn't include proposing cars drive/race through pit lane, that's just stoopid

I watched the Champ car race from Cleveland Ohio last night - apparently the organisers offered free entry to anyone with their F1 US Indy GP ticket.

Making hay while the sun shines!

Also of interest noted that the Bridgestone tyres were identified for the spectators - the harder compound was plain black - the softer compound had a red band on the sidewall - so you knew what each team was running as they did their pitstops. They have probably being doing this for a while, but this was the first race I've seen this year.

Michelin will refund all fans' money from Indy and will buy 20,000 tickets for next year's race to give to those fans.

I bet someone will try to get Michelin to pay for travel, food and all other expenses at the race. Not that I dislike Americans, I just know the human race is stupid.

Rich

p.s. I had a bad day of traffic in the Brisbane rain... how else do you explain 6km of stop start because a truck was broken down on the side (SIDE... SIDE!!! SIDE!!! ) of the road.

grandprix.com said:
The latest from Paris...

Word has it that matters are falling apart within the FIA World Council meeting in Paris today. The general hearing has already taken place, and the team principals are now coming out one by one - and are refusing to comment - but the word from within the meeting is that bad news is expected.

BAR principal Nick Fry has just come out of the meeting, with Ron Dennis expected to be the next to come out.

Minardi's Paul Stoddart came to Paris, but was refused entry to the World Council meeting.

An FIA press conference with Max Mosley is planned for 3pm local Paris time, while a press conference of the Manufacturers is expected sometime after - at which Stoddart is expected to be part of.

Rumours are that BAR is facing a ban - in which case it is anticipated that BAT and Honda would announce that they would pull out of the championship.

More as things develop...

Oh dear.....

gti138 said:
Oh dear.....

They made it sound more dramatic than what it is.

The court case will be resolved in September. Season to continue as per normal.

PLAYLIFE said:
They made it sound more dramatic than what it is.

The court case will be resolved in September. Season to continue as per normal.

Until when in September when the wipe out the Michelin 7's results for the season!! :D

How in the lords name are people blaming Michelin for what happened at Indy??

The FIA gave MICHELIN an official warning 2 weeks before Indy to not compromise SAFETY for performance.....

Michelin recognised it had an unsuitable tyre for Indy. After swallowing their ego's, they DID THE RIGHT THING in announcing it and after Ralf Schumacher's accident, it was up to the FIA TO GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD. After all, its the FIA's current regulations that prevented the new compound Michelin's that where flown in from France from being used for the race...

The Michelin teams even offered to race with no points to be won by all the michelin runners with new tyres....What more can you do????

Seems to me FIA have forgotten what happened in 1994. They needed 2 drivers to die before they started to asses safety issues at each Grand Prix. Man made chicanes were erected anywhere where the 'newly formed' safety commitee felt safety was compromised (Spain, Canada, Spa a few i can remember...oh and Imola the next year.... :cussing: )

FIA is only trying to pass the buck downwards but its easy to see through their intentions (so i thought...). Time to see a Pro-active FIA and not a re-active FIA

2cv said:
How in the lords name are people blaming Michelin for what happened at Indy??

The FIA gave MICHELIN an official warning 2 weeks before Indy to not compromise SAFETY for performance.....

Michelin recognised it had an unsuitable tyre for Indy. After swallowing their ego's, they DID THE RIGHT THING in announcing it and after Ralf Schumacher's accident, it was up to the FIA TO GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD. After all, its the FIA's current regulations that prevented the new compound Michelin's that where flown in from France from being used for the race...
Time to see a Pro-active FIA and not a re-active FIA
... we stated this before but the FIA are there to uphold CURRENT regulations... not to create new ones willi nilli, what happened in 94 is trajic, but irrelevent. So it would have to have been an F1/bernie/indy comity thing to create something.
As far as I see it i can only blame Michelin for one thing, and that is that they brought an unsafe tyre to indy, the rest will be up to the courts. < full stop. - Chris

It was Michelin's fault, the tyres they made caused the problem. The FIA didn't resolve the problem as best they could but in the end I think they did the right thing - it was Michelin and the teams that couldn't come to a solution that would have allowed the cars to race safely. The fact that they all went out and qualified flat out tells me a lot about how concerned they really were about safety (remember Ralf Schumacher's tyre failed on his first or second fast lap). Car setup and tyre pressure changes, and a slightly lower speed through turn 13 would probably have allowed the cars to run with a sufficient level of safety in my opinion[/]. The teams could have run the Barcelona tyres and incurred a penalty that I don't think was ever decided upon, which I see as a reasonable response by the FIA to a force majeur-type situation, however this was also quashed by Michelin.

Anyway that was a fortnight ago, now the announcement has been made by the FIA that the teams are guilty of
1. failing to ensure that they were in possession of suitable tyres for the 2005 US Grand Prix; but with strong, mitigating circumstances;
2. wrongfully refusing to allow their cars to start the race, having regard to their right to use the pit lane on each lap

No penalties have been issued yet, the FIA will wait until September to see
- what steps have been taken by the seven Michelin teams and/or their tyre supplier to compensate the Formula One fans and repair the damage to the reputation of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and to the image of Formula One;
- what steps have been taken by the Michelin teams to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again.

Given the compensation announced by Michelin already, and assuming there are no more tyre failures (each and every one will be closely scrutinised you can be sure) I don't think there will be much in the way of penalties announced. Max Mosley indicated he didn't think points penalties would be appropriate in any case.

Here's an interesting look at the events in the USA from sniffpetrol.com

Sniff Petrol is saddened to report the tragic death of Formula 1 motor racing. Following a long decline, F1 finally passed away in America on Sunday 19 July. The sport was surrounded by fans and family. Although Formula 1 had been suffering from several maladies and needless complications for some time, the actual cause of death is yet to be confirmed. Many suggest it may have been hastened by being repeatedly abused and shat upon by a Prancing Horse, but it is believed that the once-loved sport's actual demise was brought on by a number of other factors including dangerously swollen egos, over exertion caused by money grabbing, and a bad reaction to certain kinds of rubber. Some close to F1 are already pointing the finger at those who were meant to care for the ailing sport, and in particular Dr Max Mosley. Critics allege that Mosley himself was in no fit state of health for the position, suffering as he was from several osteopathic ailments including a weak spine and severe inflexibility. "F1 needed a taste of its own medicine to wake it from a fat, lazy sleep," noted Maurice Ital of Every Other Sunday magazine. "Since Michelin were involved perhaps this could have been administered in true French style, as a suppository. Or, to put it another way, Max Mosley can shove the whole thing up his arse".

latenews0507_02.jpg
latenews0507_01.jpg

Last edited:
Haha Rek I tried to post that but couldnt resize it to fit properly or something. :)