Incorrectly connected battery - Now no crank, no start - 2007 407 2L HDI

I guess it depends how much you value your time and convenience.

And of course how often you are likely to do such work.

$150 would be too much investment for the single $6 component I needed to replace a couple months back.
If I was doing it on a regular basis. Heck yes.

And of course how often you are likely to do such work.

$150 would be too much investment for the single $6 component I needed to replace a couple months back.
If I was doing it on a regular basis. Heck yes.

A $6 smt component ? The entire circuit board is usually worth less than that.

I do some homebrew projects and most are SMT these days. After trying toothpicks, too big soldering irons and conventional tools, I took the leap and purchased a reflow station.

It was a good move.

A $6 smt component ? The entire circuit board is usually worth less than that.
It was a friends induction cooktop controller. new board around $160 from Stokes. The chip was a rather unusual PWM controller (only available from RS in a multi pack). Turned out the IC wasn't faulty after all, it was just a resistor that I missed. C'est la vie

The BSI repair on our 407 was unsuccessful. So still unable to start my (new to me) wagon.

I am now on the lookout for a used ECU, BSI and remote/transponder set from the same car. I have been advised to ensure the ecu part number is the same as what's in the car now. I have a Siemens VDO ECU - I think its part number is: 5WS40423C-T. See attached pic.

Anyone know where I can find a 2007 pug 407 2.0 Hdi auto with this ECU and matching BSI, remote/transponder and optionally maybe even the instrument cluster?

2018-01-12 15.19.24.jpg

Last edited:
The BSI repair on our 407 was unsuccessful. So still unable to start my (new to me) wagon.

I am now on the lookout for a used ECU, BSI and remote/transponder set from the same car. I have been advised to ensure the ecu part number is the same as what's in the car now. I have a Siemens VDO ECU - I think its part number is: 5WS40423C-T. See attached pic.

Anyone know where I can find a 2007 pug 407 2.0 Hdi auto with this ECU and matching BSI, remote/transponder and optionally maybe even the instrument cluster?

View attachment 102783

This one is close but no cigar, but could be worth contacting the seller. They claim to be able to supply as plug and play with your data transferred i.e. you send your ECU and they clone details to the replacement. Sellers contact details address and email at the bottom of listing.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Peugeot-407...ee-programm-/282812103215?hash=item41d8ea3a2f

If they have a problem dealing with Aus I have a London address you can use :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

The kids had a Hot100 party at the house while we are away in Sydney. One of the guys there was a mechanic and offered to have a look at the 407 sitting on stands on the nature strip out front of the house.

He got the new battery I bought for it our the garage, installed it, and discovered my "no crank, no start" problem. He put his scanner on the car and found a couple of minor faults but nothing to worry about. However he did discover there was "no communication" to and from the auto gearbox and the gear lever will not move out of P.

He suspects I have a faulty / blown gearbox ecu/controller. Once this is addressed, he reckons I can press forward to see if I have any other issues, like a damaged starter motor.

This inspection was unplanned and done without my knowledge. Do you Pug experts think this guy might be on the right track? If so, Where do I find the ECU controller for the auto box in my car? Is it an item I can replace with one from a wrecker without the need for reprogramming or a dealer involved?

I still can't believe I was silly enough to incorrectly connect my battery. Anyhow the car is a 2007 Pug 407 Wagon 2.0 Hdi auto.

Last edited:
AM6 box? The CAN connection is to the controller. am6.jpg The position switch is within the housing. The voltage read there indicates the gear stick position from P up to D

Instant friend and given he could do this with no prior knowledge hints at good skill / knowledge set. Worthwhile chasing it I would think.

AM6GBox.JPG

This is the part for one of my 2007 2ltr Hdi Auto 307s.

This is the same configuration engine/gearbox as for your 407 as far as I know.

I checked my second 307 which has the same engine etc and is the same year (2007) and it has the exact same part numbers for the Electronic box.

So, in theory you can swap them from car to car BUT notice that the part is numbered as 2529.W1 and is described as Part to be configured.
And then the second part number 2529.AH says Configured part and vehicle ident no (VIN) to be specified on order.

It appears that these are the same part but need to be programmed with the VIN of the car onto which they are to be used.

Getting a spare from another car and plugging it in is probably worth a try but might not get you anywhere.

Cheers
Roland

:)

Last edited:
Via DiagBox, it may be possible to temporarily configure the car to think it is manual for the purposes of a crank test. Then it would not be looking for the gearbox ECU. That is something to consider, but you'd need to be cautious about doing this.

I don't think the gearbox ECU's are VIN coded, but the same physical part would run different software versions depending on the application and which engine it is hooked up to. There are compatibility requirements for engine and gearbox software, so it is not as simple as swapping them.

Via DiagBox, it may be possible to temporarily configure the car to think it is manual for the purposes of a crank test. Then it would not be looking for the gearbox ECU. That is something to consider, but you'd need to be cautious about doing this.

I don't think the gearbox ECU's are VIN coded, but the same physical part would run different software versions depending on the application and which engine it is hooked up to. There are compatibility requirements for engine and gearbox software, so it is not as simple as swapping them.

I am quickly learning these cars are far from simple to repair and work on.

AM6 Ecu's can be swapped car to car- as David S says they are not vin coded.

But realistically the above is just a guess. It could be stuck in park because its either in Economy Mode or there is no power to the Park lever solenoid/brake switch. However a faulty gbox ecu would cause a multiplexed vehicle not to start as it provides a gateway for the High Speed Can lines- but always start with the simple items first.

With a vehicle in this state fault codes are usually not helpful and potentially misleading, because nothing is operating to log codes, car wasn't running when fault occurred and battery wasn't connected (albeit correctly) for any ecu to be operating at the time.

Its not much help but you are going to have to start at the basics and have wiring diagrams to check for power in and out of components. Without a wiring diagram and a copy of diagbox/pp2000 you are just guessing.

AM6 Ecu's can be swapped car to car- as David S says they are not vin coded.

But realistically the above is just a guess. It could be stuck in park because its either in Economy Mode or there is no power to the Park lever solenoid/brake switch. However a faulty gbox ecu would cause a multiplexed vehicle not to start as it provides a gateway for the High Speed Can lines- but always start with the simple items first.

With a vehicle in this state fault codes are usually not helpful and potentially misleading, because nothing is operating to log codes, car wasn't running when fault occurred and battery wasn't connected (albeit correctly) for any ecu to be operating at the time.

Its not much help but you are going to have to start at the basics and have wiring diagrams to check for power in and out of components. Without a wiring diagram and a copy of diagbox/pp2000 you are just guessing.

Where do i get a wiring diagram from?
If you are able to help me diagnose and fix this thing, pm me.
My wife wants it off the nature strip. I don't even get back from Sydney until the end of the week, at the earliest.

Have found a BSM (engine bay fuse box) that I picked up cheaply, so i will try it when it arrives. Still struggling to find an auto transmission controller. Was quoted $1800 + labour from Brisbane Peugeot for one.