INCHCAPE To Show Us How To Sell Citroens?

Still waiting for the 131kw engine to be homogolated with 8-speed AT. It brings active cruise control it seems (even though the 3008 offers it). Not buying my next car without it.

Mind you, with the new C4 launching at the end of the month, that could be interesting...

Is the new C4 launching in Australia? I haven't seen or heard anything about this.

May sales results are now in, it's a little worrying ....

Citroen:

C3 - 4 Units
C3 Aircross - 4 Units
C4 Cactus - 0 Units
C5 Aircross - 2 Units
Berlingo - 0 Units
Dispatch - 0 Units

Total - 10 Units (Sales down 82.1% Year To Date - Total Sales so far for 2020 - 76 Units)

Peugeot:

208 - 0 Units
308 - 8 Units
508 - 9 Units
2008 - 3 Units
3008 - 52 Units
5008 - 12 Units
Partner - 11 Units
Expert - 17 Units
Boxer - 1 Unit

Total: 113 Units (Sales down 21.5% Year To Date - Total Sales so far for 2020 - 670 Units)

Citroen is of some concern. It's like Inchcape are just dwindling down it stock in readiness for the brand to exit the market. How long can it's dealers hold out? Inchcape still haven't officially confirmed the new 208 or the 2008 either, so one wonders if they'll even see the light of day in Australia now.

May sales results are now in, it's a little worrying ....

Citroen:

C3 - 4 Units
C3 Aircross - 4 Units
C4 Cactus - 0 Units
C5 Aircross - 2 Units
Berlingo - 0 Units
Dispatch - 0 Units

Total - 10 Units (Sales down 82.1% Year To Date - Total Sales so far for 2020 - 76 Units)

Citroen is of some concern. It's like Inchcape are just dwindling down it stock in readiness for the brand to exit the market. How long can it's dealers hold out? Inchcape still haven't officially confirmed the new 208 or the 2008 either, so one wonders if they'll even see the light of day in Australia now.

You would hope that given the history (95 years in Australia in August 2020 I believe) that PSA would step in and keep the continuity of distribution going....

You would hope that given the history (95 years in Australia in August 2020 I believe) that PSA would step in and keep the continuity of distribution going....

Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything when you've got no presence to preserve in the Australian market.

You would think PSA would've stepped in by now to save what they have left in Australia, but still nothing. Maybe they're trying to figure out FCA into it's Australian operations, but at least come out and say something.

The title of this thread says - INCHCAPE to show is how to sell Citroens - And this was meant to be the re-launch that was going to get Peugeot and Citroen moving in the Australian market place, but it's been 3 years now and all Inchcape have done is show us how they can sink the Citroen brand in Australia and Peugeot isn't too far behind it.

We could've been a repeat Peugeot buyer or even a first time Citroen buyer, now that we're looking to replace our Peugeot 2008 wagon but not now and we'll look at what Skoda and maybe even Renault and Volkswagen have to offer instead.

I think Inchcape are committed to the Australian market, they recently opened a massive new showroom in Artarmon which used to be occupied by VW. Very friendly and helpful staff and a great collection of cars, and also a very reasonable price for a minor service job which I was going to get done elsewhere but actually ended up cheaper at the dealer. Sales may be down for now, but with the quality of their current line up (and new 208, 308 and hybrid 3008 on the way) now is the time to win back the customers. The line up is very strong, just need to get the people into showrooms, test driving and experiencing how great the cars are. I am disappointed at the changes/cuts to the 308 line, very odd and will not help sales but hopefully the new model isn't too far off. I was strongly considering a 308 GT but once the 33k driveaway offer ended and they shot back up in price I lost all interest, big shame that it didn't come with panoramic roof in our market too.

Last edited:
The title of this thread says - INCHCAPE to show is how to sell Citroens - And this was meant to be the re-launch that was going to get Peugeot and Citroen moving in the Australian market place, but it's been 3 years now and all Inchcape have done is show us how they can sink the Citroen brand in Australia and Peugeot isn't too far behind it.
Yes, and it seemed patently clear to most of us that they just didn't understand the marque, its history in Australia, or the customer base. Their actions have been arrogant and almost everything they've done has been a backward step and detrimental. I was hopeful that the end of Anouk Poelmann's disastrous incumbency might herald a new approach but nothing much has changed.

The only glimmer of hope was Linda Jackson's visit in October last year when she said that Citroen was here to stay in Australia. But she was replaced not long after by Vincent Cobée so the promise probably doesn't mean much.

Yes, and it seemed patently clear to most of us that they just didn't understand the marque, its history in Australia, or the customer base. Their actions have been arrogant and almost everything they've done has been a backward step and detrimental. I was hopeful that the end of Anouk Poelmann's disastrous incumbency might herald a new approach but nothing much has changed.

The only glimmer of hope was Linda Jackson's visit in October last year when she said that Citroen was here to stay in Australia. But she was replaced not long after by Vincent Cobée so the promise probably doesn't mean much.
IMO the vehicle does the selling . The representative should just need to make the buyers aware.

I think Inchcape are committed to the Australian market, they recently opened a massive new showroom in Artarmon which used to be occupied by VW. Very friendly and helpful staff and a great collection of cars, and also a very reasonable price for a minor service job which I was going to get done elsewhere but actually ended up cheaper at the dealer. Sales may be down for now, but with the quality of their current line up (and new 208, 308 and hybrid 3008 on the way) now is the time to win back the customers
There's been a marked lack of commitment to the new 208 and I suspect the 308 has a similar feeling at Inchape, sadly.

Having said all that, I don't see them closing up or leaving the market.

Inchcape marketing just sent an email out offering what they call "5+5+5 comfort therapy"...
- 5 Years FREE Scheduled Servicing
- 5 Years UNLIMITED Kilometre Warranty
- 5 Years Roadside Assistance

Five years of free servicing sounds good.

I got that email too. A pity the few models now on sale are of little interest to me.

Yes that is a good offer, although not really interested in the Citroen offering at the moment. I do like the new C5 Aircross but wouldn't buy one, more of a hatch and sedan person. Peugeot and Citroen fixed price servicing is exorbitant, final capped price service on my 308 was an eye watering $530 for an oil change.

Hopefully, Inchcape won't do weird things with the specs of the new C4 when it launches here (like omit active cruise control)...

Been looking at various news articles and images on the proposed C4.
Most reports indicate that the current C4 Cactus will be discontinued and the new C4 will replace both Cactus and the previous C4 passenger car.
Some images and designs suggest the new C4 will be more like the current C3 & C5 Aircross, more of a SUV look rather than a traditional passenger car style.
All will be revealed soon I guess. We may not even see the new C4 here.

...We may not even see the new C4 here.

If that's the case, it'll be a matter of when not if Citroen is pulled. It'd be a true reflection of how badly Inchcape has handled things if they don't decide to import what is probably the biggest volume seller...

(From Carsguide: "An Australian spokesperson told CarsGuide an Australian return for the C4 is a “possibility”, although there are “no concrete plans yet”. https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-ne...al-returns-with-an-unexpected-suv-twist-79480)

If that's the case, it'll be a matter of when not if Citroen is pulled. It'd be a true reflection of how badly Inchcape has handled things if they don't decide to import what is probably the biggest volume seller...

(From Carsguide: "An Australian spokesperson told CarsGuide an Australian return for the C4 is a “possibility”, although there are “no concrete plans yet”. https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-ne...al-returns-with-an-unexpected-suv-twist-79480)

"No concrete plans yet"... :rolleyes: The people making decisions at Inchcape do not inspire confidence.

That rear view of the new C4 looks like a Honda Civic. :sick:

"No concrete plans yet"... :rolleyes: The people making decisions at Inchcape do not inspire confidence.

That rear view of the new C4 looks like a Honda Civic. :sick:

There's been another round of movements from the voices above ... It's like a revolving door at that place.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/subaru/christie-takes-charge-at-inchcape/2020-06-23/83109.html

At least they've confirmed the C3 facelift for early 2021. It was meant to be late in 2020, but Covid-19 has now delayed it. I like the new look front on the facelifted C3 and the interior and seats look to be improved also. I'm still getting used to the new C4, the rear on that looks a little fussy.

June Sales - slight improvement over May, but hardly the Jun 30 bumper event of (many) years past.

In terms of COVID impact I guess the YTD figures are reasonable. Peugeot's "theft" of commercials has certainly helped their bottom line with the Instant Asset Write Off scheme boosting Partner, Expert and Boxer sales.

Citroën
Berlingo – 0
C3 – 6
C3 Aircross – 5
C4 Cactus – 0
C5 Aircross – 11
Dispatch – 0
Citroen Total: 22 — YTD: 98 (221 in 2019)

Peugeot

2008 – 5
208 – 0
3008 – 146
308 – 23
5008 – 32
508 – 22
Boxer – 0
Expert – 31
Partner – 26
Peugeot Total: 285 — YTD: 955 (1048 in 2019)

Last edited:
June Sales - slight improvement over May, but hardly the Jun 30 bumper event of (many) years past.

In terms of COVID impact I guess the YTD figures are reasonable. Peugeot's "theft" of commercials has certainly helped their bottom line with the Instant Asset Write Off scheme boosting Partner, Expert and Boxer sales.

Citroën
Berlingo – 0
C3 – 6
C3 Aircross – 5
C4 Cactus – 0
C5 Aircross – 11
Dispatch – 0

Has the "brand reboot" been running for a full year now?

If so, even though the past 4 months have been difficult for all brands, achieving 44% of last year's sales is woeful.

June Sales - slight improvement over May
Citroën
Berlingo – 0
C3 – 6
C3 Aircross – 5
C4 Cactus – 0
C5 Aircross – 11
Dispatch – 0

In June 2019 Citroën sold:
Berlingo - 15
C3 - 5
C3 Aircross - 5
C4 Cactus - 22
C4 Picasso - 0
C5 Aircross - 4

15 of those were Berlingos, so 36 cars. 22 cars this year isn’t terrible in comparison all things considered.

In June 2018, Citroën sold 86 vehicles - 48 of them Berlingos, so only 38 cars.

There is a reasonable argument to be made still that, although Citroën’s numbers are down, a lot of that decrease is the lack of Berlingos. Their sales of cars have remained reasonably consistent for a while now, and if they moved 11 C5 Aircross’s this month, then that can only be a good thing.

Point being - sales are down, and although it really isn’t encouraging in any way, it’s not quite as bad as the pure number drop suggests.

(Still clinging to my optimism!!)

I think the new C4 looks pretty cool. It would be on my shopping list.