INCHCAPE To Show Us How To Sell Citroens?

It was a failure of servicing under Sime Darby that lost Peugeot most of its sales and damaged the reputation of the make. Rob Dommerson knew it but wasn't able to fix it. A poor attitude that drove long term owners to Volkswagen and others. You can track it through the sales graph.

While we complain about ignorant opinions of French cars there is no substitute for practical experience. A friend who knows little about cars had always bought Peugeot. The 307 was her last, constantly back to the dealership with faults . Bought a Mazda 3): I have a Megane which is not bad but every French car that we have owned recently has had its share of eccentricities. Why do the dashboards get sticky after a few years? Why do I spend a weekend every year pulling Renault doors apart (hard) to replace a cheap 'module'. People will find a reliable make then stick with it IMO.
Our loyalty to the French marques is often based on emotion and attachment of stronger models from years ago.

I have to agree. After years of dirty fingernails type motoring ( and being a rusted on hydropneumatic Citroen driver .. about 50 years worth ) we have recently gone down the "cheep and cheerful" new car line. Two years into this "philosophy" I am beginning to come around to this consumerist way...and the bulk Asian factories are laughing all the way to the bank. Five or seven years warranty, everything depreciates so flip it for another. The personal investment in $$ and effort/time for OWNED vehicles are different from leased or rented ones.
In many ways the drift is because of the "Bureau de Bastard" practices seen in the PSA product...plain awkward design work ( even headlight bulb replacement ) with no consideration for servicing/access requirements down the track.

Yes. I always thought a ten year old car was only entering middle age but now I am coming around to the view that changing at the end of warranty may be better.
This crisis may induce people to buy at local dealerships. Given there are so few PSA dealers this will not help. In normal times I did not find travelling 300k's to buy a new Peugeot attractive and now it would be unwise. There were once people who would travel those distances for a DS or CX and have it serviced annually but the modern PSA range hardly has that drawing appeal.

Sales figures for the month of April 2020 - Covid-19 induced so the figures are no suprise with the new car market down 49% nationally.

Citroen:

C3 - 1 Unit
C3 Aircross - 2 Units
C4 Cactus - 0 Units
C5 Arcross - 3 Units
Berlingo - 0 Units
Dispatch - 0 Units

Total Sales - 6 Units

Peugeot:

208 - 0 Units
308 - 3 Units
508 - 2 Units
2008 - 2 Units
3008 - 33 Units
5008 - 8 Units
Partner - 6 Units
Expert - 17 Units
Boxer - 0 Units

Total - 71 Units

Sales figures for the month of April 2020 - Covid-19 induced so the figures are no suprise with the new car market down 49% nationally.

Citroen:

C3 - 1 Unit
C3 Aircross - 2 Units
C4 Cactus - 0 Units
C5 Arcross - 3 Units
Berlingo - 0 Units
Dispatch - 0 Units

Total Sales - 6 Units

Peugeot:

208 - 0 Units
308 - 3 Units
508 - 2 Units
2008 - 2 Units
3008 - 33 Units
5008 - 8 Units
Partner - 6 Units
Expert - 17 Units
Boxer - 0 Units

Total - 71 Units
That is very depressing. I wonder if the down turn is similar to other brands.

The Inchcape PSA operation was not doing well before the crisis. It has an overhang of unsold stock from 2019 and 2018. One of the weakest operations in Australia. To survive they will need to cut costs, reduce head office staff and make maximum use of contractors.
Car dealers have slashed the price of used stock. We're yet the see the tactics to be used to stimulate the new market. Some importers are doing better than others. A flight to certainty with Toyota increasing share. BMW fudging its figures by pressuring dealers to register yard demonstrators. A difficult period ahead for the industry. Not all operations will survive.

The Inchcape PSA operation was not doing well before the crisis. It has an overhang of unsold stock from 2019 and 2018. One of the weakest operations in Australia. To survive they will need to cut costs, reduce head office staff and make maximum use of contractors.
Car dealers have slashed the price of used stock. We're yet the see the tactics to be used to stimulate the new market. Some importers are doing better than others. A flight to certainty with Toyota increasing share. BMW fudging its figures by pressuring dealers to register yard demonstrators. A difficult period ahead for the industry. Not all operations will survive.

How do we know there is any 2018 and 2019 stock leftover? One look on Carsales suggest they have very little sitting around. And why would they keep 2018 stock out of sight? You'd think they'd be trying to advertise the hell out of them to get them off their hands.

Widely advertised last month. Their unsold stock sometimes disappears from listings without corresponding sales. They had 208's up to three years old that were reclassified.

That's what is preventing me from buying a 508 now - will Peugeot survive after this year? It's an amazing car, but not amazing enough to want to go without any manufacturer's support

That's what is preventing me from buying a 508 now - will Peugeot survive after this year? It's an amazing car, but not amazing enough to want to go without any manufacturer's support

I'd be rather more concerned about resale value unless you will keep it for ten years - I think they are obliged to provide parts support for that period in Oz. Macron made an announcement today and I doubt the French Gov't will allow Peugeot to fail.

How would any cars have been sold over the past two months? Not a legitimate reason to leave the house I would have thought.

How would any cars have been sold over the past two months? Not a legitimate reason to leave the house I would have thought.
It's actually why I've not test driven any car lately. Get pulled over and how do you justify the test drive unless you don't have a car and need to buy a new one to do essential work?

I'd be rather more concerned about resale value unless you will keep it for ten years - I think they are obliged to provide parts support for that period in Oz. Macron made an announcement today and I doubt the French Gov't will allow Peugeot to fail.
I hope so. I've never been concerned about resale if I think I'm getting a good enough car. Wouldn't have bought four Renault's and a Citroen otherwise!!

The one time I bought a car for resale it still dropped a cheap in value (Mazda 3 which I bought as a one year old demo for about $23000 and sold it three years later (and a lot of waiting around) for $12000. Pretty bummed. That's a huge loss for something that was $32000 brand new.

We got our grand Picasso as a one year old demo for $43K (list price I think was over 50), had it 5 years, and don't think we'll get more than $20000 for it. We were looking at the Sorento which would have set us back $60K, but worth $15K more now. Works out the same but the Sorento would be easier to sell.

If we got a 508 wagon for $50K now and sold it for $15k five years later I'd be happy, because IMHO it's worth around $70K now.

Citroen:
C5 Arcross - 3 Units

Peugeot:
3008 - 33 Units

I would have expected that the C5 Aircross might have done better given that 3008 sales seem to continue to tick along nicely.\

Just been reading the latest long term reviews on the C5 Aircross and the reviewers seem to have changed their opinions after living withe the Aircross for a period of time. I would like to test drive one but neither one of the 2 dealers here are stocking them. Even though they have dozens of Inchcape cars in their showrooms. They seem to have Zero interest in them.
Anyone on the forum driven one?

Still waiting for the 133kw engine to be homogolated with 8-speed AT. It brings active cruise control it seems (even though the 3008 offers it with the 121kw engine). Not buying my next car without it.

Mind you, with the new C4 launching at the end of the month, that could be interesting...

EDIT - corrected power

Last edited:
May figures (still COVID affected)...

Peugeot 2008 – 3
Peugeot 208 – 0
Peugeot 3008 – 52
Peugeot 308 – 8
Peugeot 5008 – 12
Peugeot 508 – 9
Peugeot Boxer – 1
Peugeot Expert – 17
Peugeot Partner – 11