Ignition coil for 2011 Peugeot 308 115kw THP

Oz pug308

Tadpole
Hi All,
I'm looking at replacing the ignition coils in my 308 115kw THP (2011)

Can anyone confirm the bosch part number for the correct coils? it seems that every parts supplier i go to says different things i.e. one will say part number 0221 504 470 is correct for the car, then another will say it is incorrect and vice versa etc...

Is there much of a difference in the part numbers 470 and 467? or does one supersede the other?

Thanks!

Not sure the ignition coils are Bosch OEM - I think they were mainly Delphi which could be where the issue lies with confusing part numbers.

Anyway, the OEM part number (from Peugeot) is 5970 91.

There are dozens of websites that will probably steer you to even more "equivalent" part numbers when you search for "5970 91"

This post has probably been no help whatsoever :)

The originals are from Delphi. You can get them from EAI in Melbourne & Sydney. Get a price at least.

Try swapping them around to move the coil throwing a fault. It's unlikely all 4 need replacement and coil faults are known to sometimes be phantoms. If the fault follows the coil, then the coil is suspect.

Are you sure that there is a difference between any of the main brands? NGK, like the others, purchases after-market stuff from a multitude of manufacturers. All three makes coming from the same plant would not surprise me. I have often seen non-original parts with the original part number moulded on them.

I have some 12 y.o originals still going well.

Ngk are the best to use don't forget with charged engines the coils need more bang even though they fit plenty of these cars have had on going issues with missing because vti coils have been fitted to thp engines and the owner mechanic then goes down the fuel pump clogged port rabbit hole

Hi All,
I'm looking at replacing the ignition coils in my 308 115kw THP (2011)

Can anyone confirm the bosch part number for the correct coils? it seems that every parts supplier i go to says different things i.e. one will say part number 0221 504 470 is correct for the car, then another will say it is incorrect and vice versa etc...

Is there much of a difference in the part numbers 470 and 467? or does one supersede the other?

Thanks!
I would be inclined to change all four ignition coils if the existing coils have been in the vehicle for over 80, 00km, thus giving you a clean sheet on your ignition system.

I would use NGK coils and you could go to their web site and cross reference the part numbers of your original coils if you can read the part number on them. Of course you could also try the Bosch parts finder but I could not find a listing for your vehicle.

From using the NGK parts finder the ignition coil part number is U5055. Please confirm this for yourself. Hope this has been of help.

The only marking on a factory coil is an embossed lightning bolt under the electrical socket.

On my 2013 208 GTI all the coils are Delphi. According to service records one coil was replaced by the Peugeot dealer some time before I purchased the car. The part number is 597091.

When the electrical connector is removed part numbers and manufacturing codes can be seen. If there are no numbers on a component it would be difficult to list them in a maintenance manual or illustrated parts catalogue.

Perhaps at some point all my factory coils had been replaced and all newly fitted coils have identification.

They may be replacements. I have three older than yours which are definitely original and have no markings. There is also a fourth Delphi bought about two years ago which has no markings.

Are you sure that there is a difference between any of the main brands? NGK, like the others, purchases after-market stuff from a multitude of manufacturers. All three makes coming from the same plant would not surprise me. I have often seen non-original parts with the original part number moulded on them.

I have some 12 y.o originals still going well.
I still have the original Delphi coils in my 2011 DS3 as well. I figure changing the very fine-tipped spark plugs when scheduled means they don't tend to suffer coil failures.

My 208 GTi coils had very clear "Delphi" markings and very clear part number markings "V757501080-06".

Sadly, I seem to have not taken pictures of the DS3 originals.

coil.jpg

Last edited:
I still have the original Delphi coils in my 2011 DS3 as well. I figure changing the very fine-tipped spark plugs when scheduled means they don't tend to suffer coil failures.

My 208 GTi coils had very clear "Delphi" markings and very clear part number markings "V757501080-06".

Sadly, I seem to have not taken pictures of the DS3 originals.

View attachment 201560
Great photo that is where the I.D numbers are on mine. I agree that changing plugs at the correct intervals may prolong the life of the coils. Of course heat is also an ignition coil killer.
Regards Robert.

Great photo that is where the I.D numbers are on mine. I agree that changing plugs at the correct intervals may prolong the life of the coils. Of course heat is also an ignition coil killer.
Regards Robert.

Ignition
  • Ignition coils
    The stock coils will generally not fail. They are very reliable. But make sure you never expose them to humidity or water and they will be good for life. If you wash your engine, remove the coils and let everything dry up completely before re-installing them.
  • Spark plugs
    Spark plugs should be kept no more than 30.000km on a completely stock engine. If you have a remap, it is advisable to renew them every 20.000km because you will notice a big drop in performance as you go over the 20.000km limit.
    A good way to check their condition is by measuring spark gap. Stock spark gap is 0.8mm. The moment it goes over 0.9mm, ignition problems start to occur. For engines with a remap, we recommend setting the spark gap to 0.6mm. This will increase spark plug wear but will improve spark power by a lot.
    Always stick to the manufacturers recommended spark plugs. As a rule of thumb, they are all made by NGK and are either made of Platinum (PLZ code prefix) or Iridium (ILZ code prefix). Anything else will just not do as only the heat range of Platinum and Iridium is suitable for turbo engines.
    Useful codes:
    Iridium – ILZKBR7A-8G (Peugeot RCZ THP200, Citroen DS4 Racing THP200, Mini Cooper S Works Edition)
    Platinum – PLZKBR7A-G (stock 150/156/165hp and 175hp)

Ignition
  • Ignition coils
    The stock coils will generally not fail. They are very reliable. But make sure you never expose them to humidity or water and they will be good for life. If you wash your engine, remove the coils and let everything dry up completely before re-installing them.
  • Spark plugs
    Spark plugs should be kept no more than 30.000km on a completely stock engine. If you have a remap, it is advisable to renew them every 20.000km because you will notice a big drop in performance as you go over the 20.000km limit.
    A good way to check their condition is by measuring spark gap. Stock spark gap is 0.8mm. The moment it goes over 0.9mm, ignition problems start to occur. For engines with a remap, we recommend setting the spark gap to 0.6mm. This will increase spark plug wear but will improve spark power by a lot.
    Always stick to the manufacturers recommended spark plugs. As a rule of thumb, they are all made by NGK and are either made of Platinum (PLZ code prefix) or Iridium (ILZ code prefix). Anything else will just not do as only the heat range of Platinum and Iridium is suitable for turbo engines.
    Useful codes:
    Iridium – ILZKBR7A-8G (Peugeot RCZ THP200, Citroen DS4 Racing THP200, Mini Cooper S Works Edition)
    Platinum – PLZKBR7A-G (stock 150/156/165hp and 175hp)
Thank you for your excellent advice and info on part numbers.

I prefer to use NGK parts where possible on all of my vehicles.

Does any one on the forum require the 208 factory workshop manual as I can attach it as a pdf 155mb in size ( I reduced its size and it has been virus scanned)

Delphi. The originals, because PSA gets them cheaper . . .

Never had an issue with NGK.

Replace one? Replace them all . . .
Thanks,

I had one die on me last week and the mechanic replaced it with 504 470 (Bosch).

I was actually wondering whether changing them all was necessary or just overkill but i managed to find the same coils online for $40.00 Each and since the spark plugs where changed only approx.. 2000 kms ago ... i thought well why not freshen the whole lot up!!

Try swapping them around to move the coil throwing a fault. It's unlikely all 4 need replacement and coil faults are known to sometimes be phantoms. If the fault follows the coil, then the coil is suspect.
It was definitely the coil (P1340) and error cleared when a "new" coil was put in. Nearing 100k kms on the car so ordered new ones to replace the remaining three as they're not overly expensive.

Cheers,

I would be inclined to change all four ignition coils if the existing coils have been in the vehicle for over 80, 00km, thus giving you a clean sheet on your ignition system.

I would use NGK coils and you could go to their web site and cross reference the part numbers of your original coils if you can read the part number on them. Of course you could also try the Bosch parts finder but I could not find a listing for your vehicle.

From using the NGK parts finder the ignition coil part number is U5055. Please confirm this for yourself. Hope this has been of help.
Yep, car has almost 100k on it so i've ordered a full new set now also, the spark plugs where changed approx 2-3000kms ago so might as well freshen it all up

cheers,