I bought a 306... poor mans 205?

JB405

Tadpole
So with 205 values very quickly becoming out of my reach, and dreams of a mi16 205 build fading, I decided to look for a neat 306.
I found what I was looking for. base model 1.8, 3 door, manual. low km's in completely original condition. So I bought it but now trying to work out what I'll do with it. I've had a couple 205's but never owned a 306... very impressed though! perfect base for a rally car build?!?
long term plans for a 16 valve transplant but not sure what to do in the short term... any suggestions? I'm thinking Euro spec Rallye thoughts. I've got a set of c5 'steelies' which I might paint white (should look good with the red paintwork) and add some sticky rubber. Remove back seat etc.
I plan to use it as my daily pretty much, it can be my poor mans 205? feels very similar thus far... dare I say better, even!? maybe that's just psychological because of the money I've saved.

let me know if you have any suggestions. Would be keen to hear from fellow 306 owners.

cheers!

Newer and stronger I'd have thought. Wonderful drivers' cars. Lots of potential and cheap as chips to buy, speaking as one who sold a 306 this week!

The 205 may be slightly lighter, but in EVERY other respect, the 306 is a superior car.

Newer and stronger I'd have thought. Wonderful drivers' cars. Lots of potential and cheap as chips to buy, speaking as one who sold a 306 this week!

So much fun to drive, parts seem fairly easy to come by, and like you say heaps of potential! As much as I would like to have a 205 I’m glad I didn’t cough up $15k+ and bought the 306 for $1000 instead! Lots of possibilities with the left over $$$

Great cars. GTI6 conversion could be an option (or just buy a complete GTI6). Some of the U.K. guys have fitted the 406 V6 into 306s [emoji57]

The 205 may be slightly lighter, but in EVERY other respect, the 306 is a superior car.

Less weight in a car helps in EVERY dynamic respect and people seem to dive for the 205 keys every single time.

I have owned both and the 306 is excellent, and it looks great, have fun.

Should really try and just buy a gti6 no?

I'd think a transplant would be more work than just waiting for the right GTI6/S16!

They really are fun cars. Give them sticky rubber, and keep the passenger seat empty. I don't know what the 205 is like to drive, but the lower weight is surely fun!

Peugeot 306 are great cars.
Great on forrest roads.

Safe.
Reliable if you look after them.

Great cars. GTI6 conversion could be an option (or just buy a complete GTI6). Some of the U.K. guys have fitted the 406 V6 into 306s [emoji57]

And made them slower than a Healey or some such as demonstrated in a TopGear episode.

But I love your advice for someone who just bought a car to buy another.

Seems you bought the wrong car, dude.

My advice, put her in good shape mechanically as close as possible to how it came out of the factory and enjoy. Leave mods to the street fighters who want a Getz killer.

And made them slower than a Healey or some such as demonstrated in a TopGear episode.

But I love your advice for someone who just bought a car to buy another.

Seems you bought the wrong car, dude.

My advice, put her in good shape mechanically as close as possible to how it came out of the factory and enjoy. Leave mods to the street fighters who want a Getz killer.

I suggested a GTI6 conversion, but also noted it would likely be much cheaper and easier to sell and buy a GTi6 than convert a lower model into one (16v transplant mentioned above). Just a suggestion to save potential $$$ down the track.

The top gear car tested was a max power car with huge chrome wheels, airbag suspension and literally a tonne of stereo equipment. Hardly set up for a track competition (in the wet from memory). Plenty of other examples where they performed reasonably well. The smirk at the end of my sentence potentially indicated that the suggestion was a bit tongue in cheek.

Thanks for your comments though, valuable as always.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car. (I'm the one who sold it.) :)

Hi mate! Thought you might be on here...
I understand why you like the 306’s. I’ll have to come for a drive to pick up those wheels sometime soon... did you say you had the original radio too? I might pm

306 is a brilliant car, better than a 205 in every way!

I've had a very well sorted 205 GTI and now have a very late 306 XSI and could not deal with another 205 after owning the 306!

Have fun with it
Ben

My thoughts are that the base Si 205 is a great car, so practical, and it will do anything you ask of it. The GTi is over rated, even the steering is less precise than the Si. If you want a high spec car the forgotten S1 405 Mi16 is the way to go.
In the 306 range the XSi in 8 or 16 valve form is the best all rounder.

My thoughts are that the base Si 205 is a great car, so practical, and it will do anything you ask of it. The GTi is over rated, even the steering is less precise than the Si. If you want a high spec car the forgotten S1 405 Mi16 is the way to go.
In the 306 range the XSi in 8 or 16 valve form is the best all rounder.

Agreed S1 405 MI16s were bloody fantastic! Still look great today too. That said, the 306 is still one of the best looking hatches made IMO.