I’m attempting to put a c4 vts engine into a xsara vts

The C4 VTS have a EW engine while your Xsara VTS have a XU engine. As far as I remember they are quite similar as the EW is based on the XU. Same bolt pattern for the gearbox etc.
actually I just had a look at the engine alternatives for the Xsara and they were actually made with a 136hp EW engine.

Should be possible if not straight forward.

I put the engine from my rusty Xsara VTS in a Berlingo Multispace some years ago. Both were XU engined and only a year apart. Quite easy but still a bit of work.

I should have explained the Xsara VTS is the facelift with an EW10j4. As far as I could tell the gearboxes are also the same BE4 so with the EW10j4rs im hoping the ecu should be plug in and play. More worried about the mounts not matching up right

Even better! Is it the 136hp wesion?
If you can get access to servicebox you can compare the wiring diagrams for the two and find out if they have the same type of ECU(but different maps). Also read up on the two cars imobilizers.
I would not worry to mutch about the mounts. If they are different the ones from the car probably bolts up to the engine.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be a VTS if it had the 136 hp Ew engine. My VTS is a 2005 model with the XU10J4RS

It seems like the VTS badge were used on a more modest output wersion as well. A bit like the 75bhp Saxo VTS 8V and the 120bhp Saxo VTS 16V
F586ABED-868B-48FC-9900-E6C2EA736857.png

Not here for the Xsara though, the other Coupe was the VTR with 1600. As I said my car is 2005 and has the XU10.

Should be possible if not straight forward.
EW is mounted at 15º, XU at 30º. The TDC sensor is thus in a completely different position. Shouldn't be too hard to nut out. o_O

I converted a series 2 EW equipped Xsara from an AL4 auto to a BE4 manual using a combination of a 206GTi gearbox, Xsara VTS pedalbox etc and some euro spec parts for clutch parts.

You can use the 206GTi gearbox and it’s a plug and play into the Xsara chassis but you need to convert it to cable clutch. RHD Diesel Berlingo clutch cable from the UK and a clutch fork and cable bracket for the gearbox from LHD 206GTi which had a cable clutch.

You should also find an EW equipped Xsara for the engine mounts and exhaust etc.

There will be a lot of things different.

As someone who has done a big conversion like this, my advice is - don’t.

Life is short, it will suck a lot of time and the XU engine is still a great lump and more than adequate for the old Xsara.

You should also find an EW equipped Xsara for the engine mounts and exhaust etc.

There will be a lot of things different.

As someone who has done a big conversion like this, my advice is - don’t.

Life is short, it will suck a lot of time and the XU engine is still a great lump and more than adequate for the old Xsara.
Should of made myself a bit clearer. I currently own a xsara VTS with an ew10j4. I have a C4 VTS as a donor with all its parts. The C4 VTS gearbox is a BE4 like the xsara. Xsara VTS dont come with an auto gearbox

Maybe they had a few VTS bodies with no engines available so fitted the lower power EW as a run out model. Mine may have been a rare one for which an engine was found.

Xsara gearbox is the same as the 206gti (BE4). But The donor car I've got has its original gearbox anyway
Yes, but your Xsara be4 gearbox has the wrong bellhousing.

And your C4 won’t have the mounts and wiring and exhaust you’ll need.