How reliable is the C5? - No Rose coloured glasses please

GTI124 said:
Estate. I drove it for a few days when they first got it. It's in Brisbane, so I don't see it much. Parents are very very happy with it.

Has the occassional electrical gremlin where the mirrors won't fold in, but other than that it's been great.

Oh, but the stereo in the C5... I just gotta say... it's woeful.

It has electrical folding mirrors like the C4? Ask your parents, if the mirrors are scratching the paint when they open/close...

This is so annoying (with my C4).

Uga Boga said:
It has electrical folding mirrors like the C4? Ask your parents, if the mirrors are scratching the paint when they open/close...

This is so annoying (with my C4).

That's pretty poor form from Citroen. I had an issue with my side skirts on the Focus being rubbed by the doors and taking off some paint. I took it back to Ford and they repainted the skirt and adjusted the doors so it wouldn't happen.

I'd be doing the same with Citroen there... that's just poor design.

I'll check with the folks re: the C5.

Spent the past few days in Brissie with the folks. Firstly, the mirrors are fine on the C5.

Secondly, what an awesome car! I just love driving it. The diesel engine is cool. The handling is a bit rolly polly but it keeps gripping and gripping. You have to adjust to how the transmission, throttle, steering and overall balance work - but it's so rewarding. Couldn't stop grinning or driving it! Every chance I had I'd drive it. Was so much fun!

The auto works pretty darn well too, I can't imagine it with a manual. The Auto just suits it so well.

G'day GTI124

Good to read your comments. I also enjoyed a test drive of a 2.2 HDI about a month ago; a much more impressive car than the initial 2.0 model. It stormed up the local "hill" at a clip that I won't disclose here - and that was in top gear.

The gearbox in the 2.2 is the ZF 4HP20 not the AL4 in the 4 cyl. petrols which apparently is made by Siemens. That's probably why I couldn't coax any "slam-bang" 1-2 changes out of it and why it is such a good match for the car.

Speaking of gearboxes: A dealer mechanic told us the other day that they had a German car in their workshop with a stuffed tranny. Replacement cost? The hapless owner was quoted $15,000. Oh, and did I mention that the warranty had expired.

Not sure about the ZF but a new AL4 is not far shy of $5,000 so lay off the drag starts fellas.

Who knows, if I can resolve a couple of remaining doubts about spare parts I might even join what has previously been for me "the dark side of the Force".

An extended warranty program might even tip the balance.

Safe driving all.

jmn

I found the 2.0 could never really be floored. It'd just make noise and felt like it'd go slower. Found you had to squeeze the throttle and then gradually increase the throttle input. Simply flooring it wouldn't achieve very good results. Sport button helps too! :)

Just read the fine print on the extended warranty... sometimes they're not worth the paper they're written on.

Lincoln,

GTI124 said:
Just read the fine print on the extended warranty... sometimes they're not worth the paper they're written on.

Which one are you looking at (I'm assuming it's third party, not factory)? If it's one that puts specific dollar limits on claim events (like $1000 for a gearbox) then I agree it's crap. However, you can buy an extension of manufacturer's warranty which has the value of that car as the limit (with no limit per claim type), and the only thing I found negative was oil leaks being excluded. Should cover most things that could expensively go bang on a C5 & cost me around $1200 for three years/130000km.Cheers,

Barry.

barryg said:
Lincoln,

Which one are you looking at (I'm assuming it's third party, not factory)? If it's one that puts specific dollar limits on claim events (like $1000 for a gearbox) then I agree it's crap. However, you can buy an extension of manufacturer's warranty which has the value of that car as the limit (with no limit per claim type), and the only thing I found negative was oil leaks being excluded. Should cover most things that could expensively go bang on a C5 & cost me around $1200 for three years/130000km.Cheers,

Barry.

Flatmate has had minor electrical issues and the leak problems which are not covered by the extended warranty from Peugeot. I haven't read the Peugeot extended warranty, hence my word of warning. Anyone who knows the Citroen warranty, please feel free to comment.

Lincoln,

GTI124 said:
Flatmate has had minor electrical issues and the leak problems which are not covered by the extended warranty from Peugeot. I haven't read the Peugeot extended warranty, hence my word of warning. Anyone who knows the Citroen warranty, please feel free to comment.

Sorry, I saw "Just read the fine print ..." as "Just red the fine print ...", as in you had actually read it.

Citroen don't offer extended warranty as far as I know. Mine is a third party one, with the restrictions no cover for oil leaks, service every 10k by a mechanic etc etc. Not perfect, but a heck of a lot better than nothing. I'd advise everyone to steer clear of the warranties that have dollar limits for specfic events, they won't come close to covering you if something goes badly bang.

Barry.