How many Gti6s were sold in Australia

parry

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
With prices of 205s going so high, s the Gti6 the next Pug to climb in value?

Surely it's just the rare few mint 205's that are actually worth any money. With the same respect, I'd imagine it'll only be the rare few 6's that will be worth serious money. From memory I paid $43K for my '6' back in '99 - how long before they're worth the purchase cost ?

Cheers

Justin

The S16 should come in before the gti6 ;) Only roughly 300 S16's were sold in Aus, I'd guess that the 6's would have been a few more, but maybe not a lot more. The number of either S16's or GTi6's still on the road must be a lot less than originally sold by now though.

The S16 was max $1500 on redbook for a long time, but now showing max $2400. Mine will be Vintage in another 6 years time (if it lasts that long). That is usually the point when values start to change. But yes, they will need to be in very good condition (and non-modified) to command a high price.

Tony.

I thought 120 GTi6 were sold in Aus.

There isn't a lot of intrinsic value; it's mostly nostalgia. The 306 didn't have the same impact as the 205; it'll likely never reach 205 prices.

I'd argue the phase 2 306's are rightfully a lot more popular, the GTi6 will always be worth more than S16. The 6 speed gearbox is a big factor, as is the updated styling.

I've never driven a six so I don't know the difference performance wise, but personally I much prefer the styling of the S16. There is something more menacing and raw about it. The six is a bit too pretty :wink2: The S16 also has somewhat of an advantage on turning circle :D

The six is more refined for sure, it will be interesting to see how history treats the two performance 306's.

BTW my winking smilie after the comment about the S16 coming in before the GTi6 didn't come out. semicolon ) doesn't work!!

The original figures I was given for Aus delivered S16's was around 90, but someone later told me it was around 300, so I have no idea what the real figures are.

Tony.

Just checked UK registrations, and the numbers if S16's have fallen from 1000 to 12!

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

I think that the gti6 will never reach the level of a good 205 GTi.

Unfortunately for the 6 it sits in an awkward middle ground. Not as raw and legendary as a 205, not as capable (read powerful) as more modern hot hatches. The handling is good but maybe not enough to overcome the failing plastics, fading paint and saggy interior linings that even good examples will have.

I loved my short time with a gti6 (wish I could have restored it) but my current xsi is proving to be a joy to own and drive and really does everything you need from a nostalgic warm hatchback.

Remember at Euro tech we had one in the showroom for well over a year couldn’t shift it

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I think that the gti6 will never reach the level of a good 205 GTi.

Unfortunately for the 6 it sits in an awkward middle ground. Not as raw and legendary as a 205, not as capable (read powerful) as more modern hot hatches. The handling is good but maybe not enough to overcome the failing plastics, fading paint and saggy interior linings that even good examples will have.

I loved my short time with a gti6 (wish I could have restored it) but my current xsi is proving to be a joy to own and drive and really does everything you need from a nostalgic warm hatchback.

You and I have very different experiences of 205's and GTI6's.

I owned a 205GTI S3 for 3 years from '96 to '99. Legendary was all I could agree on. Raw to me meant 'poor build quality'. In '99 my 205 had the plastics cracking around the sunroof and around the plenum under the windscreen. The body flexed so much the base of the 'B' pillar was pulling away from the sill. The seat bolsters were collapsing even with my knowledge of how brittle they were and how careful you had to be with them. The door seals were pealing off as they were only held on with double sided tape. The engine was as dull as a wet sponge. The air-con failed completely (the car was only 3 years old at the time) and it had the power of a victa without the character. The electrics left me stranded when a relay vibrated out of it's mount. Leaking battery acid took all the paint off the battery tray - which also contained the gearbox mount ( I removed that, had it media blasted and powder coated to prevent rust - all when it was 4 years old). I could go on and on - but yes I loved that 205 when I threw it at a corner. I'd never known lift off oversteer like that in the wet !

By contrast, the GTi6 was a gem. I owned that for 13 years from '99 to 2012. No plastics failed, the paint was mint even when I sold it, the air-con was still icy cold, and after warming at the start of a drive that xu10j4rs went to the redline on every drive, and again, and again....mmmmmm yum. Handling was a dream and so controllable it was ridiculous. First FWD car I've owned where you could drift it on a roundabout in the wet...lol. What finally made me sell it ultimately was the leaking heater matrix which seems to affect a great deal of 306's. I hear handy owners can change them in about 3 hours. Ah - the door linings came loose which I glued back on with contact cement - messy but not beyond most owners I'm sure.

So my vote would be for the GTi6 over a 205GTi.

Cheers

Justin

I owned a 205GTI S3 for 3 years from '96 to '99. Legendary was all I could agree on. Raw to me meant 'poor build quality'. In '99 my 205 had the plastics cracking around the sunroof and around the plenum under the windscreen. The body flexed so much the base of the 'B' pillar was pulling away from the sill. The seat bolsters were collapsing even with my knowledge of how brittle they were and how careful you had to be with them. The door seals were pealing off as they were only held on with double sided tape. The engine was as dull as a wet sponge. The air-con failed completely (the car was only 3 years old at the time) and it had the power of a victa without the character. The electrics left me stranded when a relay vibrated out of it's mount. Leaking battery acid took all the paint off the battery tray - which also contained the gearbox mount ( I removed that, had it media blasted and powder coated to prevent rust - all when it was 4 years old). I could go on and on - but yes I loved that 205 when I threw it at a corner. I'd never known lift off oversteer like that in the wet !

By contrast, the GTi6 was a gem. I owned that for 13 years from '99 to 2012. No plastics failed, the paint was mint even when I sold it, the air-con was still icy cold, and after warming at the start of a drive that xu10j4rs went to the redline on every drive, and again, and again....mmmmmm yum. Handling was a dream and so controllable it was ridiculous. First FWD car I've owned where you could drift it on a roundabout in the wet...lol. What finally made me sell it ultimately was the leaking heater matrix which seems to affect a great deal of 306's. I hear handy owners can change them in about 3 hours. Ah - the door linings came loose which I glued back on with contact cement - messy but not beyond most owners I'm sure.

Cheers

Justin

Well I guess my first ownership of a 6 was a car with 300,000 odd Kay's on it :)

I agree with your driving assessment though, an absolute blast to drive, I did love it and loved redlining the engine. My xsi has the handling but not the revving...

Cheers

Justin

Maybe you got a dud one. That engine shines and given the car is so light, you've got all the power you need.

But you're looking at all the wrong things. The 205GTI was all about driving pleasure, cornering ability and that torquey, low geared engine. Raw means unmediated connection to the road, not quality plastics. G forces in your bum if you want.

That is why the 205 had more impact. And why in every modern hot hatch review you see today the benchmark is the 205GTI, not the GTI6. That is what impact means. By comparison the GTI6 went nearly unnoticed.

Take solace in the fact that the GTI6 is going to be a good bargain whilst the 205GTI will get out of reach.

Irrespective of any shortcomings with interiors, finish and what else. These are not what the 205GTI is about and nobody cares about it. If they did, they would buy a Honda.

Last edited:
Here's a table of local sales for you, based on historical VFacts data:

1994S1688
S16207
1996S1624
1997GTi643
1998GTi6143
1999GTi666GTi9
2000GTi65GTi24
TotalS16319GTi6257GTi33

Last edited:
So gti was 206?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

So gti was 206?
No, I think some time late in production Peugeot dropped the 6 from the GTi6. I don't think Peugeot Australia ever referred to it as anything other than the GTi6 though, so I'm not sure why VFacts had a separate listing for it.

The 206 GTi/GTi180 was up to 2815 local sales by the end of 2006 (from 1999-2006). The Ryton plant closed in Dec 2006 so I don't think too many more 206 GTi/GTi180s were sold here after then.

That's interesting, I would have thought there were far more Gti6's than S16's sold. There are certainly far more still on the road, surely.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

I don’t know we had one of the last gti6s at Euro tech I can’t remember anything about that I should remember the thing sat on the showroom for ever.
S16 was a bit cheaper

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE