How many Gti6s were sold in Australia

I'm no fan of 205 GTis but love the Sis. 306s ride extremely well but nothing else appeals to me that much.

You and I have very different experiences of 205's and GTI6's.

I owned a 205GTI S3 for 3 years from '96 to '99. Legendary was all I could agree on. Raw to me meant 'poor build quality'. In '99 my 205 had the plastics cracking around the sunroof and around the plenum under the windscreen. The body flexed so much the base of the 'B' pillar was pulling away from the sill. The seat bolsters were collapsing even with my knowledge of how brittle they were and how careful you had to be with them. The door seals were pealing off as they were only held on with double sided tape. The engine was as dull as a wet sponge. The air-con failed completely (the car was only 3 years old at the time) and it had the power of a victa without the character. The electrics left me stranded when a relay vibrated out of it's mount. Leaking battery acid took all the paint off the battery tray - which also contained the gearbox mount ( I removed that, had it media blasted and powder coated to prevent rust - all when it was 4 years old). I could go on and on - but yes I loved that 205 when I threw it at a corner. I'd never known lift off oversteer like that in the wet !

By contrast, the GTi6 was a gem. I owned that for 13 years from '99 to 2012. No plastics failed, the paint was mint even when I sold it, the air-con was still icy cold, and after warming at the start of a drive that xu10j4rs went to the redline on every drive, and again, and again....mmmmmm yum. Handling was a dream and so controllable it was ridiculous. First FWD car I've owned where you could drift it on a roundabout in the wet...lol. What finally made me sell it ultimately was the leaking heater matrix which seems to affect a great deal of 306's. I hear handy owners can change them in about 3 hours. Ah - the door linings came loose which I glued back on with contact cement - messy but not beyond most owners I'm sure.

So my vote would be for the GTi6 over a 205GTi.

Cheers

Justin

No, I think some time late in production Peugeot dropped the 6 from the GTi6. I don't think Peugeot Australia ever referred to it as anything other than the GTi6 though, so I'm not sure why VFacts had a separate listing for it..

That would go some way to explaining why my 3/2000 model has 'GTi' badging when nearly all the others I see, most older, have the red '6' as well.

That would go some way to explaining why my 3/2000 model has 'GTi' badging when nearly all the others I see, most older, have the red '6' as well.

Can you post a pick of the badges for my own shits and giggles

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

This was my 99 306 many years ago (silver). Was badged GTi (not the best pic of badge) while dads 97 was GTi6.

a62c72df18f3c7924161d5e32a1bebde.jpg

5e4f6f699e543b600a0e1d8ff75948b6.jpg

Edit: found a better pic of the badge.

79f3ecc37885b1d477f989de145d7747.jpg

Last edited:
I think the GTI6 will go up in value from where they, but nothing like we have seen with the 205. It just doesn't get enough exposure. The 205 has character which more than compensates for its grievances, which I think is why people, who would never consider a French car, are buying them. The 306, in Australia at least, is still foreshadowed by the unreliable french car stereotype. Maybe it will show up on a Grand Tour episode, and it might spark some more interest. But until then it's still really only known among the french car circle and nostalgic expats.

She's my old girl too. I had her from new. sold at 250K for $3000 to a frogger. I replaced her with a 1999 model and we've passed her Kms at 388K. I recognise the aluminium pedal covers I applied. Bet they have self welded on by now. Happy she is still on the road and providing some revhead fun.