How many CX's in Australia?

Andy,

mate, wait till next summer .... There's no denying it, CX's are an excrutiatingly hot car in summer. There's a lot of time devoted to this on the forums simply due to the fact it basically prevents them being a daily used car in hot conditions (especially in heavy traffic where heat soak will set into the floor, firewall, not to mention ventilation). Have you noticed the heater can't be turned off in summer yet.

My series II CX gets nowhere near as hot in summer, the heat soak through the floor and firewall isn't anywhere near as bad as the old CX C-matic ... It's still BLOODY HOT sitting under the windscreen though. Possibly the only reason it stays cooler is the turbo unit itself is absorbing a lot of the exhaust heat before it reaches the cars underbody. The ventilation doesn't blow hot on a warm day (no doubt you have found you can't turn the heater off on a hot day by now... That's not the heater, it's the ambiant air being heated by the floor/firewall/ducting on the way in). The Series II ventilation though not warm is simply terrible. The fan switch is more like a 'volume' switch (ie: the fan makes lots more noise but doesn't really move more air).

Chris Stewert over in Perth I think will eventually solve the heat issue. Though it's not going to be a simple fix. He's using a very methodical process to eliminate and measure the heat ingress. He even used a garden blower strapped to the intake tower to see if that would increase the air flow through the vents in the car. Even though the air was moving at cyclonic speeds into the bonnet vent, the air inside the car was no greater than having the fans on high.

He's wrapped the exhaust with high temperature bandage. He found this worked for about 20minutes until the heat bandage soaked up lots of heat, then it heated the cars interior and continued to (as it stored heat) for a considerable time after you have stopped.

Seriously join the CX-L list on the yahoogroups server, he's been posting his progress there on trying to stop the heat transfer. I have no doubts he'll will get it right (he's taking the right approach to it, methodical changes everywhere followed by testing of the changes). When he finishes I'll most likley copy what he's done.

My CX doesn't even have air-con fitted, however until I can keep the inside of the car at ambiant temperature it's pointless even attempting to fit it.

Rear spheres are simple to remove (weren't yours just regassed). It's just time consuming as you need to whip the rear suspension cylinders out (take a back wheel off and look where they are. You'll soon see what's involved in taking them off).

seeya,
Shane L.

We didn't do the rear spheres on Andy's car because they were obviously at 100% and no point in doing something that doesn't need doing or claiming to do it & not touching it, as we have enough people doing things like that as it is.
When he gets back from the Snowys and we organise the lower control arm bushes, we'll take another look and if by then they've degenrerated, we'll do them then.

As regards heat, I reckon we may have had the one and only ever cool CX; ask Craig as he drove in it.
The car had insulation about 5mm thick all over it (150 kgs of it in fact) a ceramic coated set of extractors connected to I think it was a stainless steel exhaust, a full aluminium radiator that was custom made and insulation on the air tower that feeds the air to the inside, and a tint as dark as was legal with a high UV resistence.
Andy has seen the car and knows how much went into it. The radiator was so efficient that it took over a half hour to get the fans to cut in if it was left idling in the garage.
It was one CX that would have had an efficient air conditioning system had it not been "Liberaced" in that RBT.

Alan S

Alan,

I'm sure you could help Chris immensly if you dropped him an email (he really has put a LOT of time into the cabin heat issue).

His webpage is here:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/hobbier/chris/

His email adddress in on the webpage (I won't post it here, I'm sure he gets enough spam now).

seeya,
Shane L.

Well that got 'em talking! I guess I must concede (under much pressure) that the CX is a hot car.
Lucky I'm going to the snow then, eh! :joker:
The rear spheres will need to be checked when I get back, thanks Alan. I reckon they are about 70% due to the way the rear sinks relative to the front (used to be the other way around before the fronts were regassed).
On the subject of heat, there is a big red tap (technical) that I turned on the other day which I think may open up the radiator fluid to the heater matrix. The heater doesn't appear to be much stronger since it's been opened but the car's nice and cosy anyway.
Vive la CX!
Andy :citplak:

DoubleChevron said:
I'd say maybe 100 aussie sold CX's on the road, possibly as many as 30-50 GTi Turbos hidden away never to see daylight, maybe 1dozen wagons, and 1/2dozen deisel sedans.

Not many would still be in daily use I imagine (due to how hot they are in summer).

seeya,
Shane L.

I think there'd be more than 100 Aussie sold CX's. There'd be at least that many in Queensland in various states of decay/dismay. :)

danielsydney said:
I love that look. A CX with ski gear and ski racks on it......LOL:headbang:

Yeah, I'll be able to chuck my board across the back seat so I'll leave the racks off. If I see a CX with ski gear and racks I'll let you know! :roflmao: ha, ha ..we all know that's unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
Andy

Andy N said:
Well that got 'em talking! I guess I must concede (under much pressure) that the CX is a hot car.
Lucky I'm going to the snow then, eh! :joker:
The rear spheres will need to be checked when I get back, thanks Alan. I reckon they are about 70% due to the way the rear sinks relative to the front (used to be the other way around before the fronts were regassed).
On the subject of heat, there is a big red tap (technical) that I turned on the other day which I think may open up the radiator fluid to the heater matrix. The heater doesn't appear to be much stronger since it's been opened but the car's nice and cosy anyway.
Vive la CX!
Andy :citplak:

Yep, from memory I think I did see the red tap on the firewall area and may have commented about it's "agricultural" look which seems the way they all are.
That assend on yours had a tremendous amount of travel when both the other guy and I both jumped on it (and he's s big boy to go jumping on things isn't he?) I'd be surprised if it were down to 70%; we'll see when you get back :joker: :joker:

Alan S :cheers:

theres gotta be at least 20 cx's sitting in a certain backyard near malany, Qld................and i didnt even try to count the D's..........

Andy N said:
G'day
I do however find it hilarious that the air inlet is situated in a spot that has almost zero airflow due to the aerodynamic shape. I have seen a plastic scoop added to a couple of CX's to improve this but only slightly. I have no problem with driving with the window/s down and I think many of you guys hold the car in league with many modern cars.
If you think about it, it wouldn't be to hard to increase ventilation by moving the air inlet to the front of the vehicle using an additional pipe if needs be.
Don't let it stop you buying one though. I am not an engineer and even I could improve this but I don't think it needs it just yet.
Cheers for listening to my rant :2cents:
Andy

Andy,

They are hot. The air inlet is indeed ludicrous - I was only thinking of this yesterday driving along on a cold Perth day in the rain (9 degrees, lovely in the CX, with the heater half way on). However, to airflow, there were large droplet of water all over the bonnet (still has polish!) and up to 70 kph I was watching them carefully, andthey just sat there with no perceptible air movement at all - and this is the area right around the air inlet!!!

The previous owner of our car put a lot of effort into the AC and it works very well. Larger condenser and various things. It also takes the fuel consumption from somewhat alarming to very alarming!!

However, I just love it anyway, as nothing is perfect. You'll need a good battery and alternator and various connections in the snow, as a side comment.

Cheers

John

I wish My CX22 TRS had aircon, its a lovely 30ºC here in England, but it feels hotter in the CX!!!!!! john s

123abc said:
theres gotta be at least 20 cx's sitting in a certain backyard near malany, Qld................and i didnt even try to count the D's..........

123ABC

Yep there is a green 2400 parked in a shed in Cootamundra too, Im waiting to win lotto so I can register it.

By the way do you know if the trafficators are suposed to be self canceling or are they of the motorbike type (thumb canceling)?

Cooch

Last edited:
Cooch Goodwin said:
123ABC

Yep there is a green 2400 parked in a shed in Cootamundra too, Im waiting to win lotto so I can register it.

By the way do you know if the trafficators are suposed to be self canceling or are they of the motorbike type (thumb canceling)?

Cooch

No cx ever featured self cancelling indicators. john s

smiffy1071 said:
No cx ever featured self cancelling indicators. john s

Well John You would think that if the French had the technology to blow the S&!T out of a small island in the Pacific and spread dengerous contamination for GOD knows how many years as well as sink a boat in Auckland harbour (and virtually get away with it) not to mention an un natural facination with things to remove peoples heads you would kinda expect self cancelling blinkers.

Cooch :nownow:

Cooch Goodwin said:
Well John You would think that if the French had the technology to blow the S&!T out of a small island in the Pacific and spread dengerous contamination for GOD knows how many years as well as sink a boat in Auckland harbour (and virtually get away with it) not to mention an un natural facination with things to remove peoples heads you would kinda expect self cancelling blinkers.

Cooch :nownow:
The above depends on whether you think self cancelling blinkers are worth while. I happen to think they are not, in fact they are a pain in the ass in many situations. Thanks to Citroen for holding out as long as they did!
Graham

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
The above depends on whether you think self cancelling blinkers are worth while. I happen to think they are not, in fact they are a pain in the ass in many situations. Thanks to Citroen for holding out as long as they did!
Graham

Couldnt agree more! Many times, ie turning through roundabouts you end up having to turn them on again......& again. Much prefer the simplicity of doing it yourself, never really found it that hard! :cheers:

I agree with that sentiment. On my way to work, there is a left turn, just after a fet bend in the road. If I'm in the ZX, I have to turn them on againwhich is irritating, but the CX is no problem.
If you are on a motorway (not that there are many motorways in OZ), you have to cancell them yourself anyway, so where is the problem?
BTW, I remember the rainbow warrier incident, and that was perhaps not one of france's best public relations decisions. john s

indicators

Way back in the dim distant past the early Ds had indicators that were operated with a small plastic lever on the dashboard...next to the ignition key and the red starter button. This was a clockwork device that self cancelled as a function of time..about 14 flashes from memory, then the ticker would go silent and need "rebooting".

zykyra said:
Couldnt agree more! Many times, ie turning through roundabouts you end up having to turn them on again......& again. Much prefer the simplicity of doing it yourself, never really found it that hard! :cheers:

OK OK OK sorry I was not thinking about city driving, you have a point that I did not think about, me thinks maybe the frogs have a good reason not to have self cancel trafficators after all. One day Ill go to the city and try the roundabout scenario.

Hoo roo
Cooch

Don't bother Cooch - they're overrated!

Nice thread, I have a CX Matchbox car (well it will be at Mum's place) not sure if it is a saloon or estate though, it has been a day or five since I last laid eyes on it!