How a Slide Rule works - basic.

I remember Phil Irving saying he designed the whole Repco Brabham v8 engine without using a slide rule. So there.
Understandable I think. After all, the slide rule is merely an aid to the arithmetic, it doesn't help one design anything. Any calculation can be done long hand, or using a tables book for Squares, Cubes, Logarithms, etc, as we did in high school.

Now this is going just too far back in the calculator discussion. :D :D :D
Abacus_red.jpg

Reactions: COL
Like these ones, Schlitz?

View attachment 213893

Interchangeable pen nibs, pencil holders and divider points. I think these "compasses" were called springbows. Small springbow set up for ink work. I forget how I used to use the nibs, I think I had a small bottle with a nozzle and squeezed a few drops in between the points. Note the points are adjustable to make thicker/thinner lines.

Below - my old box of bits and pieces. (The box may be worth more than the instruments, and that's not much).

View attachment 213894

This is one handy piece of equipment. I've had this for many years, I think you can still buy them (maybe another brand) at drawing supply shops. I recently lent this to my neighbour's son doing Civil Eng at uni for a bit of drawing homework - he liked it and bought one of his own. It holds an A3 sheet in the clips. The horizontal edge can be locked with the knob at the left. The angular edges can be locked in the main positions eg 90°, 60°, 45° etc. Handy to use on the kitchen table. I've used it for council building submissions etc. I do have a CAD program but sometimes find this quicker/easier.

View attachment 213895

These are some Rotring drawing pens I have bought about 3 years ago. They are easier to use than the old pens which tended to block up if left for a while, and they flow very easily. I think with these when they run out of ink you just buy new ones, not sure, they were about $10 each. Note line width varies, I find this selection (0.5, 0.3, 0.1mm) quite handy, but more sizes available.
I thought I had a compass with the adapter to hold these pens but can't find it, maybe I only used one in a work office at some time years ago. But I guess they are still available.

View attachment 213896
I've got both Rotring and Faber tech pens with the refillable reservoirs in 0.25, 0.35, 0.5, 0.7 and 1.0mm along with the Faber compass and extension arm. My only tattoo is from dropping the 0.35 pen dead straight on my thumb. 🤣

Like these ones, Schlitz?

View attachment 213893

Interchangeable pen nibs, pencil holders and divider points. I think these "compasses" were called springbows. Small springbow set up for ink work. I forget how I used to use the nibs, I think I had a small bottle with a nozzle and squeezed a few drops in between the points. Note the points are adjustable to make thicker/thinner lines.

Below - my old box of bits and pieces. (The box may be worth more than the instruments, and that's not much).

View attachment 213894

This is one handy piece of equipment. I've had this for many years, I think you can still buy them (maybe another brand) at drawing supply shops. I recently lent this to my neighbour's son doing Civil Eng at uni for a bit of drawing homework - he liked it and bought one of his own. It holds an A3 sheet in the clips. The horizontal edge can be locked with the knob at the left. The angular edges can be locked in the main positions eg 90°, 60°, 45° etc. Handy to use on the kitchen table. I've used it for council building submissions etc. I do have a CAD program but sometimes find this quicker/easier.

View attachment 213895

These are some Rotring drawing pens I have bought about 3 years ago. They are easier to use than the old pens which tended to block up if left for a while, and they flow very easily. I think with these when they run out of ink you just buy new ones, not sure, they were about $10 each. Note line width varies, I find this selection (0.5, 0.3, 0.1mm) quite handy, but more sizes available.
I thought I had a compass with the adapter to hold these pens but can't find it, maybe I only used one in a work office at some time years ago. But I guess they are still available.

View attachment 213896

Yep, that is the circle tool I was talking about.

As for pens, when they became available (in the west), my mom received a set of Rotring Isograph but they were not for professionals. She wanted the Rapidograph pens, but that only happened in 79 when we went to Germany and she bought her own. I used them much later at uni and they are still with me. Mind you, they still make them.

They still are around. They are all younger blokes can use.

I have a drawer full of bits of them. When one breaks some of the parts will become a new one. We used to keep them usable with ultrasonic cleaners.

Pen plotters like mine (another antique) use similar pens and had to be watched all through the plot as the ink flow isn't completely reliable.

When I used to draw on film, I had a full set of pens, ie 0.13 to 2.0mm. Those were the days. Making a mistake was costly. I still have all the lettering stencils.

In the olden days we used razor blades on tracing paper and linen as well. Do it right and you can put a new ink line over it.

In the olden days we used razor blades on tracing paper and linen as well. Do it right and you can put a new ink line over
You’d always cringe though, that it was going bleed. And what about dragging a set square over wet ink?

In the olden days we used razor blades on tracing paper and linen as well. Do it right and you can put a new ink line over it.

I remember there were a few grades of Kalk (tracing) paper, some more tough than others. The very tough ones gave no problems with scraping away ink and re-drawing on top. The lesser grades were a nightmare. The high grade felt thicker.

I'm talking about drafting film. Not tracing paper. You can still buy it.

I was too.

I added paper and linen to make the technique more versatile. We used the blade on everything that had some sort of solidity to it. Final inked work wasn't done on thin tracing paper, or butter paper.

The architects and their draftsmen were masters of the pencil for final work, which I never saw an engineering draftsman really good at.

And some architects did beautiful perspective renderings in watercolour.

It was one of the exams (they had four) for admission to Architecture to draw freehand a perspective at specified angles from three plane views. In three hours. A lot of these exam papers were then displayed in a window facing the street I was walking to get to the Geology dept. Never quite understood how anyone could actually do that. Keep in mind, most of these people were just high school graduates when sitting the exam.

I got this one from my wife's grandfather. No idea how to use it!
I made it through my Aerospace Eng degree with my highschool Canon scientific calculator, couldn't afford the Texas Instruments fancy one. Well maybe I could have, but that would have meant less beer!

Attachments

• 20221220_125331.jpg
    20221220_125331.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 90
If you have ever used a graph with log scales (I am certain you have) you already know how to use it. The numbers are nothing more than log tables, base 10. Add numbers on two tables along the rule and you multiply. Subtract two and you divide. It won't do additions. This one being circular, means you can't run off the end. They were very fast if problems were expressed as multiply, divide, multiply, etc.

See https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Slide-Rule

Those large rules can do trig, squares and cubes (and roots), simply by changing the scale of the engraving of the logs.

Last edited: