Hoogy's DS 23 Pallas

Remember to catch the pin! They are made of instantdisappearium.

The other problem is that that if lost, you will find out that they will have transformed into 119th element in the periodic table - Unobtanium........

You can remove just the lower part of the door trims as they slide upwards into the horizontal stainless strip on Pallas models.

If you decide to remove the upper portion of the Pallas door trimming, you will need to remove the stainless strip adjacent to the inside of the door glass. These are a real pain to get off and are very easily damaged. They clip over a plated steel retainer and you need to be able to unclip them along their length to get them off. Start at one one end with a pick or the corner of a blade like a paint scraper and carefully working along. It's very easy to damage them.

Most small screws on the DS are Posidriv heads, NOT Philips, so invest a few dollars in some Posidriv bits or screwdrivers. It makes a world of difference and you won't have as many burred heads and screwdrivers.

Finally had some time to start pulling the beast apart to get to the steering rack.:D
The engine bay is a great place to work once you take off the front guards.

There are some areas with light surface rust and I will respray many of the parts. I put the wheels on full lock and noticed the rubber boot reveals much of the part underneath, is this normal?

Eventually got to the steering rack and thought to myself, "That's not meant to look like that." :confused:Hmm.. will hopefully pull it out tomorrow and figure out what to do next.

I also didn't realize this model has the engine driven radiator fan and another smaller electric fan in front of it inside the cowling of the radiator, is this standard? It certainly looks ex factory.

Anyway, had a whale of a time getting this far but now it's time for a cold one.:adrink:

Attachments

• DSC_1446.JPG
    DSC_1446.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC_1458.JPG
    DSC_1458.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC_1464.JPG
    DSC_1464.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC_1468.JPG
    DSC_1468.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC_1469.JPG
    DSC_1469.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 360
Finally had some time to start pulling the beast apart to get to the steering rack.:D
The engine bay is a great place to work once you take off the front guards.

There are some areas with light surface rust and I will respray many of the parts. I put the wheels on full lock and noticed the rubber boot reveals much of the part underneath, is this normal?

Eventually got to the steering rack and thought to myself, "That's not meant to look like that." :confused:Hmm.. will hopefully pull it out tomorrow and figure out what to do next.

I also didn't realize this model has the engine driven radiator fan and another smaller electric fan in front of it inside the cowling of the radiator, is this standard? It certainly looks ex factory.

Anyway, had a whale of a time getting this far but now it's time for a cold one.:adrink:

Hi Hoogy,

Steering rack - one of the dirt/grime protective gators has torn, at least on that side. They are a PITA to change unless the rack is disassembled. Would suggest that the other one be checked for surface cracking - most likely it is ready to fail also if not all ready. There are quite specific positions they are suppose to be attached on the rack which prevents them from being overly stretched when making full lock turns either L o r R - info is in 814.

Give the overall state of the car I would suggest that you have radiator inspected, flushed by a good radiator shop and pressure tested. If the car has been sitting for a long period of time the accumulator/suspension spheres are most likely either flat or low in pressure.

Radiator - You have what is known as a cross-flow radiator. The electric fan was a factory option on 21's and installed on all A/C cars, at least here in the US. Not sure but I think it was standard on all on 23 cars. You will find a solenoid that provides power to the fan motor. The ground for the solenoid is controlled via the thermostatic switch mounted on the radiator.

As I said at the very beginning of your posts - that steering rack is not responsible for the car not pressurizing - to be the source of the problem fluid would have to pouring out of the unit fast enough to empty the main reservoir in 30 seconds or so after car was started.

Steve

Hoogy,
With respect, unless you neglected to post the results, Steve initially suggested the rack wasn't the likely cause.
In turn after you asked the question, I advised the procedure for diagnosis.

Try not to hitch the cart before the horse.

The electric auxiliary fan is standard on all 23s, which are all fitted with cross flow radiators, in this country. Provided it is wired correctly it actually rotates in the opposite direction to the pulley mounted engine fan.

That driveshaft looks normal and the boot will reveal bare steel on full lock as you show. Someone seems to have removed one of the dampers on the driveshaft and left the rubber bush. If the rubber bush is worn out, remove the other damper too.

Richo,

Sorry if I gave the impression I was going to pull out the steering rack without first checking where the leak is coming from. My post ("Hmm.. will hopefully pull it out tomorrow and figure out what to do next."):blush:. I spent yesterday cleaning all the hydraulic gubbins and will follow your advice to hunt down the leak(s). Will get some LHM from Dave at the Club BBQ on Wednesday. As Citroenfan said I will at least need to take the steering rack out to replace the rubber boots.

Thanks mberry, I'm quite proud of it myself.

By the way, tadpole question, how do I quote other peoples posts.:confused:

Cheers,

John.

Last edited:
Richo,

Sorry if I gave the impression I was going to pull out the steering rack without first checking where the leak is coming from. My post ("Hmm.. will hopefully pull it out tomorrow and figure out what to do next."):blush:. I spent yesterday cleaning all the hydraulic gubbins and will follow your advice to hunt down the leak(s). Will get some LHM from Dave at the Club BBQ on Wednesday. As Citroenfan said I will at least need to take the steering rack out to replace the rubber boots.

Thanks mberry, I'm quite proud of it myself.

By the way, tadpole question, how do I quote other peoples posts.:confused:

Cheers,

John.

Simple enough John- just go to the bottom of the post you wish to quote, and click the "quote" button. For multiple quotes, go to the first post you wish to quote and click the "X" button. Go to the next one, and so on until you get to your last quote, then click the "quote" button. In either case, your quotes will open in a new window, ready for your comment(s). You can also highlight, copy and paste into the comment box, then use ["quote" in bracket]your quote["/quote" in bracket]. :2cents::cheers: