Hill Assist?

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
That is bizarre .... the boss women has just purchased an old RCZ. I was just running one of the kids to school in it and ended up in traffic on a steep hill. I let the clutch out and though "that felt completely wrong" ..... So after the next car got out at the intersection and I needed to move a car length up the hill..... I let my foot off the brake .... and the car just sits there. I get a good 2seconds of the car being held by the brakes before it starts rolling backwards.
Then getting towards the school I get stuck in traffic, this time facing downhill not uphill. I figured "this could be interesting" .... I let my foot of the brakes and the car immediately starts to roll.... hmmm

So the old rcz has an incline meter .... and must give the brakes a burst of the ABS pump to activate the brakes so it doesn't roll backwards if we are on a hill, so need to do a hill start.

Well this car is no good for learners to drive in. Its trying to "help" to much.

I've noticed it gives the motor an occasional blip of the throttle when letting the clutch out too. It must have an "anti-stall" type setup.

From the C5 X7 Owner's Handbook, 2008. Your car has similar mechanicals.
To aid starting on a gradient, your vehicle is equipped with a system which keeps it immobilised for a short time (about 2 seconds), the approximate time it takes to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.

This function is only active when:
• The vehicle is completely stationary, with your foot on the brake pedal.
• In particular conditions on a slope.
• With the driver's door closed.

Note: The hill start assist function cannot be deactivated
It works reversing up a slope from stationary too.

Interesting, I know the EGS/automated manuals had "anti-rollback". I didn't realise they had it on cars with a proper gearbox though.

Our manual 'L' series Subaru wagon (1989 build) had a "hill holder", and the feature was certainly around in the early '80s. Was just for hill starts.

I wonder how that works? It would need to mechanical somehow. The modern cars must be using the ABS pump to add pressure into the brake system (then vent it) as needed.

The modern assist is done by the ABS/ESP. The earlier Subaru version had a valve fitting in the brake line with a ball that fell back on a slope to block release of the brake pressure that stopped the car. It was known as the Pressure Hold Valve. It only worked with the front of the car facing uphill.

That is bizarre .... the boss women has just purchased an old RCZ. I was just running one of the kids to school in it and ended up in traffic on a steep hill. I let the clutch out and though "that felt completely wrong" ..... So after the next car got out at the intersection and I needed to move a car length up the hill..... I let my foot off the brake .... and the car just sits there. I get a good 2seconds of the car being held by the brakes before it starts rolling backwards.
Then getting towards the school I get stuck in traffic, this time facing downhill not uphill. I figured "this could be interesting" .... I let my foot of the brakes and the car immediately starts to roll.... hmmm

So the old rcz has an incline meter .... and must give the brakes a burst of the ABS pump to activate the brakes so it doesn't roll backwards if we are on a hill, so need to do a hill start.

Well this car is no good for learners to drive in. Its trying to "help" to much.

I've noticed it gives the motor an occasional blip of the throttle when letting the clutch out too. It must have an "anti-stall" type setup.
I wonder how that works? It would need to mechanical somehow. The modern cars must be using the ABS pump to add pressure into the brake system (then vent it) as needed.

As mentioned by others, it's another addition to the abs software. My recollection is that Victoria mandated Electronic Stability Control before the rest of Aus, so Ford/Holden had Bosch add the Steering Angle sensor and 3 axis accelerometer for the yaw angle to the ABS and it applies the brakes to individual wheels as required to keep car pointed in the right direction. The same is done for automatic Hill Assist if you have your foot on the brake.
The following Infotech link you can download the owners manual from Service box, change to english at Top right hand corner and then select your RCZ.

Peugeot RCZ hill assist.jpg

It isn't universal. It isn't fitted to a manual DS3.

Even the manual Hino RFS firetruck I drive has a form of hill hold.

Both our C5s have it and I think the C4 EGS had it too.

Good grief... the complexity. Just let the clutch out quicker ... the car won't roll back .... well not far anyway. Don't people know what a handbrake is .... or what heal/toeing is. Maybe I'm just getting old.

As mentioned by others, it's another addition to the abs software. My recollection is that Victoria mandated Electronic Stability Control before the rest of Aus, so Ford/Holden had Bosch add the Steering Angle sensor and 3 axis accelerometer for the yaw angle to the ABS and it applies the brakes to individual wheels as required to keep car pointed in the right direction. The same is done for automatic Hill Assist if you have your foot on the brake.
The following Infotech link you can download the owners manual from Service box, change to english at Top right hand corner and then select your RCZ.
INFOTEC - Service Box Peugeot

Just nuts.... my cars all do that through good engineering. The old CX or DS .... I can throw two wheels into the gravel on the side of the road .... take my hands off the steering wheel .... and stand on the brakes.... The car locks two wheels and brakes dead straight. I'm always more than happy to demonstrate this for non-believers :) And ahve done so many times in the past.

seeya,
Shane L.

Yeah, totally standard. My manual 308 has this with a rocker switch for a hand brake... Have to admit I have got very used to it. My wife loves the feature. In my old 306 I didn't have any issues with the manual handbrake but the new stuff is definitely easier in traffic.

Don't get me started on my dsg Audi though. Bloody thing will decide to jump into neutral when reversing up a hill to park and rapidly roll forward. Amongst many other annoying features...

The hill assist on my 2007 Forester XT has been a pain since I had a new clutch fitted. Because the take up point is slightly different, it holds on far too long, feeling like I'm burning clutch plate to get it going. A bit of googling found how to adjust it though. A few turns with the spanners seems easy enough. Maybe yours is similar?

Good grief... the complexity. Just let the clutch out quicker ... the car won't roll back .... well not far anyway. Don't people know what a handbrake is .... or what heal/toeing is. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Alas, the proportion of drivers that can synchronise clutch slip, throttle and handbrake is getting lower and lower. Even though I had no problem using 2nd gear to hill start on roads covered in ice, Hill Assist has made me quite lazy with less effort when I go skiing :)

Sooky lah lah.

Lots of cars have this feature, of those MANY don't have the physical hand brake.
It's a work around.
Just learn to use it.

Don't say I want a model T ford coz it was simple...

I woke up before i went to bed...
I walked 27 miles to school......
My house was a shoe box....

Sooky lah lah.

Lots of cars have this feature, of those MANY don't have the physical hand brake.
It's a work around.
Just learn to use it.

Don't say I want a model T ford coz it was simple...

I woke up before i went to bed...
I walked 27 miles to school......
My house was a shoe box....

You're right, I guess I'm lucky this car has a proper handbrake! I hate the idea of electric stuff (that invariably goes wrong :( ).

Good on you. You have your antique collection because they weren't scrapped after 10 years' depreciation because of expensive++ problems with auto transmissions, auto handbrakes, unobtainable dashboard TV sets with Apple-roid, etc. None of it is needed by any half competent driver. Hill starts and gear changes are like reverse parking. Once you know how it's instinctive and needs no thought.

Reactions: bob
Some days I like it - some days I want to turn it off (through Diagbox). At times it seems to hang on too long and because I've applied power the car then lurches when the handbrake releases and we roar off. I've learnt to apply a small amount of power to release the handbrake, and after 2 seconds when it releases I can apply more power and move off smoothly.

The auto / electric handbrake also has it's 'quirks'. We have quite a steep driveway, and If I park at the top, apply the electric handbrake and take my foot off the brake pedal, the handbrake 'lever' flashes, and the handbrake symbol on the dash flashes - and it doesn't stop. I've never had the car move / roll down the driveway, but I'm guessing the car is telling me it's reached the limits of the handbrake parameters.

At least with a handbrake lever I could just pull the lever up another notch.......

Cheers

Justin