Half-cuts from France - who wants what?

g'day
i'd be up for the 505 v6, that was also in the R30 (my understanding), injected please. a bare engine and flywheelis all that is needed, as i would be rebuilding it. but i am on apprentice pay so i would need to know the price first.

I would be interested in a Citroen Dyane (disc brake model) and a Citroen CX turbo 5 speed

and throw in a heap of RHD PRV V6 bell housings
the rest of the stuff we can obtain here
even LHD PRV V6 bell housings as we can use some of those as well
i'm sure they can be slotted in around other things :D

Alan S:
Before you start getting too excited about shipping big bits, check out courier costs so you know what you're up for.

<a href="http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en" target="_blank">Freight cost schedule</a>

Alan S
Fed Ex cost an absolute fortune, the cheapest thing would be to look at buying a container space or looking at one of the shipping co's offering part container space.

I can't work out who would use Fed Ex, they obviously make large sums of money,and finance a fleet of large aircraft amongst other things,
but don't even seem to advertise bulk deals for regular users (that might be different now but was the case a couple of years back when I was looking at importing/exporting parts.)

cheers!

<small>[ 29 September 2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

BogMaster:
Alan S:
Before you start getting too excited about shipping big bits, check out courier costs so you know what you're up for.

<a href="http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en" target="_blank">Freight cost schedule</a>

Alan S
Fed Ex cost an absolute fortune, the cheapest thing would be to look at buying a container space or looking at one of the shipping co's offering part container space.

I can't work out who would use Fed Ex, they obviously make large sums of money,and finance a fleet of large aircraft amongst other things,
but don't even seem to advertise bulk deals for regular users (that might be different now but was the case a couple of years back when I was looking at importing/exporting parts.)

cheers!
OCS is another who are ultra dear but very reliable and strange part is, Postal services aren't all that much cheaper but FeDex used to have a 2 tier scale of charges using "Maxi" as well as "Mini" crates.
There was a guy down the Gold Coast a while back who was involved in importing Yank Tanks & who used to advertise spare container space at a reasonable cost. I know we aren't talking Seppoland but from memory the closest to a freight port to Froggyland is Belguim & the dearest part of that exercise is transport from France to Belguim. If there was someone in the same position (ie)3/4 full container costs same as a full one.
I did once get a big mother of a box full of bits shipped over as deck cargo. You can hire a crate, pay a deposit and it is then returned after you get it home & send it back to them empty.
That one had a complete motor/gearbox assy plus a cars interior....geez was it bloody heavy!! mallet
It's something that needs to be sorted unless you can rake up enough half cuts to fill a container but even then with people spread from Perth to Brisbane, it's gunna be a nightmare trying to figure out where to get it dropped off & how the cartage will work across the Country. cry

Alan S

An image of Deka cruising around Australia in a cabrio, pulling a trailer piled with half cuts just sprang in to my head roll_lau

maybe if an aproximate cost of the half cuts could be worked out, and a rough idea of the freight could be established, and then see who is seriously interested and who is just wishul thinking. One method of distribution would be 20ft containers imported into different parts of the country, then again, a 40ft container is often not much more than a 20ft

In my experience the cheapest freight rates are offered by companies in the country of origin,

Alan S:
BogMaster:
Alan S:

Alan S

cheers!
OCS is another who are ultra dear but very reliable and strange part is, Postal services aren't all that much cheaper but FeDex used to have a 2 tier scale of charges using "Maxi" as well as "Mini" crates.
There was a guy down the Gold Coast a while back who was involved in importing Yank Tanks & who used to advertise spare container space at a reasonable cost. I know we aren't talking Seppoland but from memory the closest to a freight port to Froggyland is Belguim & the dearest part of that exercise is transport from France to Belguim. If there was someone in the same position (ie)3/4 full container costs same as a full one.
I did once get a big mother of a box full of bits shipped over as deck cargo. You can hire a crate, pay a deposit and it is then returned after you get it home & send it back to them empty.
That one had a complete motor/gearbox assy plus a cars interior....geez was it bloody heavy!! mallet
It's something that needs to be sorted unless you can rake up enough half cuts to fill a container but even then with people spread from Perth to Brisbane, it's gunna be a nightmare trying to figure out where to get it dropped off & how the cartage will work across the Country. cry

Alan S
You're right Alan, there could be difficulties, the real possibility being that the freight arounbd the country once landed could be more than the cost of bringing the bits from Europe.

cheers!

That's assuming that the bits we are asking for a really available, given that the Frogs would consider most of our cars as ancient history and that wreckers could conceivably feel that keeping piles of bits from the 70's and 80's is not good business. Finding some of the stuff requested on this thread could be a complicated adventure in itself.

cheers!

Just to let you know about 505's in France. I was in France 3 yrs ago. Then there were not many to be seen on the roads. And very few in the wrecking yards. In fact it was/is easier to find 505's in Oz wrecking yards than it was in France.
Don't be surprised that there is little available from France on 505's let alone V6 front cuts.

406's, yes there should be plenty in the wrecking yards because it is a current model. Probably easier to get diesel fronts than petrol seeing that Peugeot sell half of their cars as diesels.

Steve..

I'm going back in history a couple of years now, but I was told that there was a wrecker in the UK who had a deal going with someone in WA to take all the earlier model stuff they could buy.
If say a CX came in, they just stripped it of all the mechanical & readily saleable body parts (ie) bonnets, doors & bootlids and packed them into a crate. Once full, they were then shipped on some deal with a shipping company (don't call us we'll call you when we have the room to fit your boxes in, type of arrangement) to WA. I can't believe that this was for stock for Australia but possibly someone acting as a go between for somewhere in Asia.
Find who that is & you may strike a jackpot.

Alan S cheers!

WRX2PUG:
405 T16 would be very nice
Might need more than a front cut if I wanted the 4WD version, although the motor would make a great start :)

Cheers
Steve
I Agree... but would any of the FWD gearboxes fit??? if so what about the (as my friend calls the Maxi) 6 Speed??

306 front panels and radiators /headlights would be of interest as very few wrecked here
Japan exports front cuts and they are RHD and not expensive not many ks usually around 40kkms

CU Alpine

Originally posted by alpine
<strong>306 front panels and radiators /headlights would be of interest as very few wrecked here
Japan exports front cuts and they are RHD and not expensive not many ks usually around 40k kms
Don't let Alan S see this post...

He's got definite ideas about the veracity of these klms.