Half-cuts from France - who wants what?

aquinian

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I have a close friend, an Englishman, who lives near Bordeaux. I spoke to him on the 'phone tonight and asked him to investigate purchasing some half-cut 505s, 406s, and possibly other Frogs. French licensing law ensures that relatively low-km cars are almost worthless once they get to 10 years old or so.

So, the question is, what particular models were sold in France that didn't make it here, but which would be desirable? The late 505 V6s and turbo 2.2 petrols are obvious examples. But I'm not familiar with later Peugeot models, such as the 406 variants, and Citroens and Renaults are all Greek to me.

Any iput most welcome. If it looks viable to do this, it could be exciting. (I also have access to cheap sea-freight, so that makes life easier).

My friend also suggested getting right-hand-drive cars from Ireland, where they use little salt on the roads, and where licensing laws are also crazy, so that's another option.

Anyway, all Pug, Cit, and Renault input most welcome.

Regards,
John Lane.

how much is cheap freight? I wonder if it would be viable to bring a renault 5 turbo here?

fat bastard:
how much is cheap freight? I wonder if it would be viable to bring a renault 5 turbo here?
Don't know. Cheap freight is freight organised by a freight-forwarder at cost. My brother-in-law is in the business. I'd be looking at a 40' container.

The problem with bringing in a whole car is duty. You're better off with a half-cut and then re-shell it using a local body, I would think. Anyway, I'll add the Renault 5 turbo to the list for my friend to check out, and we'll see what they sell for over there and what the "landed" cost would be, and work it out from there.

Regards,
John Lane.

vivid:
add a renault 16TX motor and gearbox.

Thanks,

David.
No worries. What is a 16TX? Some kind of performance model, and did they not sell them here?

Regards,
John.

The TX was a turbo version.

Any chance of finding out about 1290cc 304/305 engines... just the engines in rebuildable condition. No ancillaries required. They should be very cheap, main problem might be availability.

The main advantage, by the way, of getting half cuts is to get the front panels that are so often required for accident repairs. So anyone looking at buying something just for the engine would look upon the panels they might sell as a means of offsetting the price.

Anyone know, by the way, the current duty rates applicable? Also, I've been down this route before, I was ripped off something severe. Your man on the ground will need to be able to identify and ensure all items are as required.

A good potential seller, for anyone who's interested, would be heads for diesel 505s.

Ray Bell:
The TX was a turbo version.
Surely you are not serious with that reply Ray?????

The 16TX (R1156) was a five speed version of the 16TS, with a slightly larger 1,647cc engine with a twin choke downdraft Weber carby. No forced aspiration with that.

Hi,

I'd love to get a half cut 505 V6 with the 5 speed box!

Ben

If this goes ahead, I'm keen on a Renault 30/31 UN1 5sp manual Transaxle with LSD! (or more than one!)

Originally posted by Simon
<strong>Surely you are not serious with that reply Ray?????

The 16TX (R1156) was a five speed version of the 16TS, with a slightly larger 1,647cc engine with a twin choke downdraft Weber carby. No forced aspiration with that.
Always good to make sure someone is on their toes...

To be honest, I didn't have a clue what it was.

On a related topic.

I have been offered two (2) whole RHD 505 v6s. Both are autos of 1987 vintage. One is suitable for parts and the other is in a roadworthy condition. I am interested in the parts car and would be happy to let the other one go to someone else - any one genuinely interested?

These cars being 15 years old, means that Aust. customs should not put up any roadblocks.

The purchase price would be minimal but the transport costs would be the main issue.

con..... 0404 018 278

Renault R21 Turbo Quadra pretty please with sugar on top.....(with the rear end and the leather interior in another box )

Oh, and a R25 V6 Turbo as well.

How much cheaper are half-cuts on tax than a whole car? I take it you don't need to keep them in the country under your name for a certain amount of time then? Renault 5 Turbo sounds yummy, or a 205 turbo that someone's made and then bingled if that's viable... drool whip

Line me up for a whole Peugeot 306 gti-6 front cut, 96 onwards pls.
cheers Xq

405 T16 would be very nice
Might need more than a front cut if I wanted the 4WD version, although the motor would make a great start :)

Cheers
Steve

aquinian:
Citroens and Renaults are all Greek to me.
Funny, but I've never heard of a Greek Citroen or Renault :D :D :D dance
Heard of African and South American Pugs though :D
There is also a car built in Iran called the Peugeot 1.6. It appears to be a 405 with a conventional front engine/rear drive layout. Wierd.

Being serious, there are loads of half cuts that I would LOVE, but somehow I cant see you selling half cuts for $50 apiece :D , so you can count me out cry

Haakon:
Renault R21 Turbo Quadra pretty please with sugar on top.....(with the rear end and the leather interior in another box )

Oh, and a R25 V6 Turbo as well.
X 2 :D :D :D

I would consider making a trip over there if it would help pay for some of the fare.

Maybe easier to chase up parts, go shopping on some aussiefrogs behalf.. any takers??