Frogs in spaaaaaace...(well , Subaru Rally of Canberra)

casnell

Fellow Frogger
Just a quick report from rally heaven...
Chris, Bazz, Asanka and Cam (and some non-froggies) travelled to sunny Canberra over the weekend to compete in the Subaru Rally of Canberra with fantastic results.
First the froggy news- the 205 performed extremely well as the recce car, taking jumps at up to 100k's to give me an idea of race-pace and just taking everything we threw at it and all the time it was just a puppy that wanted to play!Only prob was the rad wore 4 holes and we pumped 30 litres thru before baz could get it fixed.The 205 got almost more attention in the service park than the EVO!
Rally proper we ended up 7th provisionally(the soobies were caught cheating), but definitely first privateer- big trophy and $2000! Photos to come but will be on Ch 10 sunday I think-look for the spider web EVO VII.
Chris

What do you mean the subaru's were caught cheating, what did they do??

Also for those that can get there hands on a copy of yesterdays canberra times newspaper there is a photo of chris taking on the infamous 'mineshaft' stage & getting some serious air-time.

i'll write more & post pics when im back to earth.

casnell said:
Chris, Bazz, Asanka and Cam (and some non-froggies) travelled to sunny Canberra over the weekend to compete in the Subaru Rally of Canberra with fantastic results.
First the froggy news- the 205 performed extremely well as the recce car, taking jumps at up to 100k's to give me an idea of race-pace and just taking everything we threw at it and all the time it was just a puppy that wanted to play!Only prob was the rad wore 4 holes and we pumped 30 litres thru before baz could get it fixed.The 205 got almost more attention in the service park than the EVO!
Rally proper we ended up 7th provisionally(the soobies were caught cheating), but definitely first privateer- big trophy and $2000! Photos to come but will be on Ch 10 sunday I think-look for the spider web EVO VII.
Chris

Well done guys, really good to hear you all did so well. Sounded like an awesome weekend, If I get back from the Alfa sprint on Sunday early enough I'll watch for sure. Any idea when its on next sunday arvo.

cheers
Dave

David Shearer said:
Well done guys, really good to hear you all did so well. Sounded like an awesome weekend, If I get back from the Alfa sprint on Sunday early enough I'll watch for sure. Any idea when its on next sunday arvo.

cheers
Dave

and on which channel?? Ten or one of the others? (9 or SBS)

Alan S

purrr-geot said:
What do you mean the subaru's were caught cheating, what did they do??

Also for those that can get there hands on a copy of yesterdays canberra times newspaper there is a photo of chris taking on the infamous 'mineshaft' stage & getting some serious air-time.

i'll write more & post pics when im back to earth.
Apparently the front diffs were not homolagated, but they've been sent to FIA in Germany for confirmation cos it's an international event, but that's just a formality from what I've heard.
The Canberra times did get the names wrong tho', apparently my new name is Yasako Yamada or something... but trust me, it is me!
I think we probably did take it too fast- I was talking to Simon Evans at lunchtime and he said "I was just telling the boys at work about your jump!"
Anything I do faster than Simon wasn't planned, trust me!

hi chris, congratulations on bagging first place!:headbang:

you guys mustve had the most awesome time - i am so jealous.:cry:

cant wait for the pix.

any of you have any interesting stories? i'd be interested to read them:wink2:

:cheers:

pugjet said:
any of you have any interesting stories? i'd be interested to read them:wink2:

:cheers:
I can say I woke up yesterday with a spare turbo and a grid girl in the bed, and I'd let Asanka explain that but he didn't come home at all!

casnell said:
I can say I woke up yesterday with a spare turbo and a grid girl in the bed, and I'd let Asanka explain that but he didn't come home at all!

:roflmao: :eek: what???

asanka, where are you?! maybe hes gone walkabout!lolz

yeah sorry i didnt come back home that night, Dam groupies Hahaha:wink2:

casnell said:
Apparently the front diffs were not homolagated, but they've been sent to FIA in Germany for confirmation cos it's an international event, but that's just a formality from what I've heard.
The Canberra times did get the names wrong tho', apparently my new name is Yasako Yamada or something... but trust me, it is me!
I think we probably did take it too fast- I was talking to Simon Evans at lunchtime and he said "I was just telling the boys at work about your jump!"
Anything I do faster than Simon wasn't planned, trust me!

Was that all the subaru's or just the top three?

So who won the event??

the car in question, at the ceremonial start

I've got heaps of pix, i've got to upload them so it may be a while.

Attachments

• cermenoial start1.jpg
    cermenoial start1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 312
purrr-geot said:
the car in question, at the ceremonial start

I've got heaps of pix, i've got to upload them so it may be a while.

:eek: :eek: :eek: far-out!

chris youre frign superstar.

and did any of you get pix/footage of that jump?

Yeah Chris is a superstar, should have seen the entourage of women outside our cabin, you'd think the guy was Julio Iglesias.

I hope there is video footage around of chris going over that jump, from ALL accounts Chris got the most air/height than ALL.

purrr-geot said:
Was that all the subaru's or just the top three?

So who won the event??
It'll end up going to the finnish evo 7, then Scott Pedder, then Geoff Argyle.

Last edited:
casnell said:
Chris

Chris,
Was the inlet manifold hitting the radiator?
How was the ground clearance, no holes in the tank or exhaust?
I am going to take my 205 Si out to Heathcote tomorrow to do some field work for a rally I'm organising so I should know more by tomorrow night!

Graham

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
Chris,
Was the inlet manifold hitting the radiator?
How was the ground clearance, no holes in the tank or exhaust?
I am going to take my 205 Si out to Heathcote tomorrow to do some field work for a rally I'm organising so I should know more by tomorrow night!

Graham
The fan shroud had 4 little clip things that rubbed on the front. Ive got tank guards that protected the tank but the exhaust is a bit mangled near the cat, and I'm sure glad I put on a decent steel sump-guard, that's got some decent wacks in it! By the way it's at min gp N height.

casnell said:
The fan shroud had 4 little clip things that rubbed on the front. Ive got tank guards that protected the tank but the exhaust is a bit mangled near the cat, and I'm sure glad I put on a decent steel sump-guard, that's got some decent wacks in it! By the way it's at min gp N height.
And here's a shot from the top of the mineshaft in the 205(if this works!)

Attachments

• 205mineshaft002.jpg
    205mineshaft002.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 441
casnell said:

My god, not only is that high, but i didnt realise that left hand turn was so soon after the jump:eek:!!!

casnell said:

get lossst!:headbang:

mate that looks insane!

yoh asanka did chris let you have a drive?

i wouldnt.