Found another DS in a shed

mattg

Fellow Frogger
Hi Froggers

I found a DS under a good layer of dust yesterday. I am keen to findout more about it. It has been in this shed for 3 years. before that it was put under a tree after it's water pump died. Engine condition is unknown but the manifold is off and I can see corrosion in one of the water jackets.

It is an Aqua sort of colour with the white roof. The paint down one side is badly crows feeted. so I think that it is a bare metel paint job required. I didn't have time to check it for rust but It seems reasonable.

What is the easyest way to determine it;s true Identity. I found two plates on the Fire wall. One had a number 01FC3277 and a red plate SAA Citroen 003925199. If someone could shed some light on what these numbers represent that would be great.

How can I tel what variety it is. It has Brown leather seats that are stuffed and a Black dash. I can't find anything to say what year it is.

What is required to get the suspension working again when it has been sitting for an unknown time period.

Many questions but I am quite excited about this. I'll get some photos next time I go past it.

It is possibly for sale, How much would somthing bareing this description be worth?

Thanks for your help and time reading this novel of a post.

Cheers

Mattg
Excited Frog.
:D

Open the bootlid and let us know if your still excited .... It's impossible to value from the description.

Anything from freebie to a couple of grand if it's an injected hydraulic.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Open the bootlid and let us know if your still excited ....

what am I looking at in the boot are you expecting there to be no floor?

It's behind my cousins workshop so I'll ask him to have a look. Are there any other questions I should get him to ask?

Cheers
Matt

mattg said:
what am I looking at in the boot are you expecting there to be no floor?

It's behind my cousins workshop so I'll ask him to have a look. Are there any other questions I should get him to ask?

Cheers
Matt

DS's hide there rust quite well. You need to feel down the box section you step over as you get into the car and make sure the floors are still attached to it. This box section gives the car most of it's strength. If possible use a sharp object from underneath and poke around this box section and see if you can find any rust.

Open the boot, it will be immediatly obvious if there is no floor. The most critical bit is under the anti-roll bar cover at the base of the boot. The rear arm mounts want to be *not* rusty.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hello excited frog :D

The car (according to Reynolds - the bible on such matters) is a 1970 D Special. The chassis nos for that year were 3900000-3929133. Note that a 1970 year car was made from Sep 1969-Sep 1970.

A D special is the simplest of the Ds - but by 1970 in this country the only real difference was in trim and power - the brakes and suspension were almost the same across the range. It should have a 1985cc engine, with a single choke Solex carby. 1970 is a good year - the earlier ones (pre 1972) seem to rust less - and if you are lucky it might have push button door handles which IMHO look much better than the lift up ones. All in all a good car to start D ownership with :citroen: .

Paul

As for "how much work should the suspension need" -- none.

LHM is an oil, it's not corrosive like brake fluid. All the components have been sitting in an oil bath since the car was stopped, assuming all the fluid hasn't leaked out (no reason it should). Some of rubber boots may have perished, but if you primed the pump and spun it up I'd bet the car would shake off a great pile of dust and rise to the occasion... I wouldn't try that without looing for rust around the suspension mounts though :trouslap:

:2cents:

Chris

PS: OK, the spheres might be a bit flat :rolleyes:

chris said:
, but if you primed the pump and spun it up I'd bet the car would shake off a great pile of dust and rise to the occasion...
:2cents:

Chris

PS: OK, the spheres might be a bit flat :rolleyes:

I take it the engine needs to be running to prime the pump and spin it up?

how much does it cost to regas the spheres?

Thanks for all of your help.

Matt

Paul Smith said:
Hello excited frog :D

The car (according to Reynolds - the bible on such matters) is a 1970 D Special. The chassis nos for that year were 3900000-3929133. Note that a 1970 year car was made from Sep 1969-Sep 1970.

Paul

Is the other alternative a Pallas?

Matt

mattg said:
I take it the engine needs to be running to prime the pump and spin it up?

Actually you can do it with an electric drill... I wasn't suggesting you do that though, more making the point that it should be possible... as for priming the pump, the supply hose might be full of air after so long (probably not though), you'd then need to pull it off and pour some LHM down it. You'd have to talk to someone nearer to you about spheres.

The hydraulics are a red herring anyway, they're damn near bulletproof. Forget about them and look for rust!

Chris

mattg said:
Is the other alternative a Pallas?

Matt

There are four basic sedan models for 1970

D Special (1985cc, 4-speed)
D Super (bigger engine 2175cc, 5-speed option)
DS (bigger engine 2175cc, hydraulic gearbox option, EFI option from 1970)
DS Pallas (as DS, but plusher interior trim)

D Super & non-Pallas DS are pretty rare in this country (usually private imports).

The difference in trim between a D Special and a Pallas is noticeable, but there are only subtle diferences with the other three. In Europe a D Special was often much lower spec than the rest, but out here they had a lot of the options - power steering, turning headlights etc as standard. And people have often added Pallas bits over the years!

Paul

mattg said:
How can I tel what variety it is. It has Brown leather seats that are stuffed and a Black dash. I can't find anything to say what year it is.

Mattg
Excited Frog.
:D

As far as I know only the Pallas came with leather?? That's not to say the upholstery is original in this car though.

Get some pictures uploaded, all will be revealed :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

I guess we could narrow it down a little.... Does it have:

--fuel injection
--5spd gearbox
--crossflow radiator
--3 bump strips on each door (top middle & bottom)
--column gearshift, or funny squiggly little lever on top of the steering column
--big foam trim around the inside edges of the roof.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
I guess we could narrow it down a little.... Does it have:

--fuel injection
--5spd gearbox
--crossflow radiator
--3 bump strips on each door (top middle & bottom)
--column gearshift, or funny squiggly little lever on top of the steering column
--big foam trim around the inside edges of the roof.

seeya,
Shane L.

If any of the above, note the additional comments:

--fuel injection - rats will have eaten the wiring or someone has undone it all
--5spd gearbox - 5th gear pinion (?) will be stuffed or bearing has had it
--crossflow radiator - with added additional flow - from holes
--3 bump strips on each door (top middle & bottom) - good for hiding rust
--column gearshift, or funny squiggly little lever on top of the steering column - you will hear Shane start the hunt if you say funny squiggly lever, but tell him it has D N and P marked behind that lever and he will cease hunting immediately
--big foam trim around the inside edges of the roof. - also good for hiding rust, rats and other rodents.

mattg said:
Location must of cause remain a mistery :evil:

I'll work on some photos.

Cheers

Matt

Your secrets pretty safe here...... :clown:

Cheers
Chris

graham66 said:
yeah no one's following this thread (131 last count :deal: )
:chase:

dont worry - most of us are just bored at work on a slow friday afternoon...

graham66 said:

You're the one he's got to watch out for... going the by the list of vehicles you own :roflmao:

graham66 said:

Hey, if anyone finds a '66 Slough-built DS21 in a shed somewhere, please send me a private message :cheers: