First car being a Peugeot 205 GTi? Thoughts...

Childhood memories and family influences are certainly motivation in many car choices. My father worked for BMC so had a number of new Minis for a company car.when I was a child. I've owned several (I have 2 at the moment) a good one is great fun, a bad one is downright disheartening. When dad was still on the tools he used to bring the Morris Minor breakdown vans home, and as a child I loved them. I bought a Morris Minor for my first (on the road) car, it was was slow, painfully slow. I hotted the engine is up and it was still slow, and the little drum brakes were crap. I traded the Morris in on a 16TS that seemed like a jet fighter in comparison.
Funny thing is my brother bought an immaculate low km 16TS some 20 years later and I couldn't wait to take it for a spin and relive those vivid memories of the one I had owned, I subsequently drove it and was like, "huh, what happened"???🤔
Driving hundreds of different cars in between those two Renault 16TS experiences had a major impact on how I perceived the overall "feel" of the same car 20 years later on, it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't the same to the older me🤷‍♂️
There was a guy with a red E Type living at the end of our street, when I was 5 or 6 years old. I could just see over the door through the window. I lost count of how many times my nose was pressed against the driver's window, ogling at the 160 mph speedo.😍
Anyone want to guess what my yet to be fulfilled "dream car" is?🤣

Datsun 120Y ?
Coupe of course.
A local family had an old one, a yellow coupe, and it had done so many miles by that time that it would almost vanish in the start-up haze.

Heat soak and no AC became a problem in the later E-Types. Roast passenger!

Welcome to the club! They are actually a very sensible hot hatch. If you drive them that way....
This is my second T9 308. I have gone from the cheapest in the range you could buy (2015 Access manual) to the most expensive. Even though some things really annoy me about the 308, it is a car I feel very comfortable in. I only sold my Access as the kids wouldn't drive manual (I really tried...) and it was becoming a problem. I have wanted a 308 GTi (250 or 270) for some time but was not looking for one so soon. It found me. Nice to be back in a Peugeot.

This is my second T9 308. I have gone from the cheapest in the range you could buy (2015 Access manual) to the most expensive. Even though some things really annoy me about the 308, it is a car I feel very comfortable in. I only sold my Access as the kids wouldn't drive manual (I really tried...) and it was becoming a problem. I have wanted a 308 GTi (250 or 270) for some time but was not looking for one so soon. It found me. Nice to be back in a Peugeot.
Well be sure to wave if you see a pearl white one around Chatswood. What colour is yours? Not metallic grey?

Heat soak and no AC became a problem in the later E-Types. Roast passenger!
So owning a DS is sort of like getting yourself "conditioned" for E Type ownership?🤔

The 205 passenger cell has zero strength check out pics.
The red one was a 70km/hr impact
Getting hit by a RAM or the new F150 is a life changing experience.
I loved my 206 GTi

Attachments

• 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 201.jpg
    201.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 87
Well be sure to wave if you see a pearl white one around Chatswood. What colour is yours? Not metallic grey?
Will do! Yes, Artense Grey. I was visiting Lane Cove in it this morning. There is another grey one - in the inner west - saw it the morning I picked up mine.

Will do! Yes, Artense Grey. I was visiting Lane Cove in it this morning. There is another grey one - in the inner west - saw it the morning I picked up mine.
Awesome, well I hope you enjoy it. I saw a nice artense grey one 2 weeks ago on my to Bunnings.

I saw a car just like mine the other day.😃
I was waving furiously, and the handsome devil in the other car was waving furiously back.👋👋👋👋
Then the Mirrors-R-Us truck that I'd pulled up next to beat me off the lights.😔

Resized_20230521_160813.jpeg

The 205 passenger cell has zero strength check out pics.
The red one was a 70km/hr impact
Getting hit by a RAM or the new F150 is a life changing experience.
I loved my 206 GTi
70km/h is an immense impact.

its not the 1.6 like the minis I previously looked at.
No it's a turbocharged 875cc inline twin, variable valve timing, variable valve lift, up to 77 kw of power and 145 nm of torque at 2000 rpm.
There is also a 1 litre NA version, but I don't think we got that in Aus? It won a sh#tload of engine design awards when it was released in Europe.
Cheaper rego in QLD with 2 cylinders.👍

I was thinking bout it some more and I remembered the best daily I ever had from all points of view was an auto 2005 Corolla wagon (the wagon part is irrelevant but that's what mine was). Best thing about it? If it gets scratched, dented, broken into, written off, you don't feel anything.

I never serviced mine in four years of ownership and it never missed a beat. Never leaked anything anywhere, never topped up any fluids, never needed the least bit of maintenance and everything worked perfectly, including the A/C. Beat that.

Well, logic says everyone's first car should probably be a corolla. Hell, mine was! But it sounds like the OP Zac_ is after something with a little flair. The one thing a 'rolla really does fail at.

Although, weird admission.... I like those early 2000s wagons. Chuck some decent wheels and tyres on and throw a surfboard on the roof, go road tripping... appealing.

Well, logic says everyone's first car should probably be a corolla. Hell, mine was! But it sounds like the OP Zac_ is after something with a little flair. The one thing a 'rolla really does fail
I don't mind the early ones with a little JDM flair added.🤷‍♂️

20230807_011600.jpg
20230807_011631.jpg