FCD - Why the delay - question

I would say that this in the perfect place to air such concerns about the Victorian French car day.

"Aussie Frogs" implies Australian content, and as the Victorian day often attracts interstate visitors (myself being one of them), any news and opinions seem quite relevant.

The last VFCD I attended was cancelled due to rain, with no alternative venue in place. Not good for the interstate visitors as it's a long way to drive (plus getting time off work etc) only to be told to go away. Even Westfield Doncaster car park would have been a reasonable alternative.

Subsequent events announcements were haphazard, many dates seemed to be announced and then retracted. I was even chastised on this very forum a couple of months ago for asking about the next VFCD

I can't think of a better way to bring these issues to a head - sure you can "write letters" (DO people still write letters?) to car clubs, then wait for the next regular meeting for them to be read, and all the members to murmur consolations and muffled agreements. But that's about as far as it goes. Everyone says they know it is wrong, but no-one seems to have any solutions.

Then someone comes up with a potential solution, posted on this forum, and is promptly shouted down by a 12-member committee of one car club.

Surely there is another way to ensure these events occur?

<small>[ 13 September 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Europa ]</small>

Can I just try and clear some of this crap up.
Firstly, RCCV want the FCD and will do everthing in its power to do it and the same goes for PCCV.
What Covert is saying about FCD committee is exactly what does happen, I know because I've been on them, this year is CCCV turn and myself and the PCCV President attend meetings with CCCV.
PCCV told CCCV that we (PCCV & RCCV) will help out in anyway, all they have to do is ask.
Unfortinatly nothing happened after that, every week we've been waiting on CCCV to get back to us but it just didn't happen so when word came out about it's cancellation it really got us angry especially when we find out that on the same day CCCV have planned to hold there own concourse which they must have public liability insurance for.
So RCCV and PCCV are just as angry and annoyed as Covert and the rest of you French car enthusiasts.
The reason it's hosted by a host club in the first place and not an independant FCD committee as Covert suggests is purely because of public liability insurance, you must be a registered club to get insurance and thats the only reason it went like this and deffinatly not for egotistical reasons like whats been sugested.
I hope this clears all this up and lets stop snapping at each other and work togeather.
At the meeting Thursday night it was decided that seeing that next year is RCCV's turn we'll set the date right now, so I announce that the 2003 ALL FRENCH CAR DAY will be held on the 23rd February 2003, I'm currently looking for venues so all suggestion will be noted.

David Cavanagh
President RCCV.

David Cavanagh:

The reason it's hosted by a host club in the first place and not an independant FCD committee as Covert suggests is purely because of public liability insurance, you must be a registered club to get insurance and thats the only reason it went like this and deffinatly not for egotistical reasons like whats been sugested.
FYI, the All French Automobile Association in SA was able to obtain liability insurance for each event held here (as stated earlier, this was a seperate association who's sole purpose was to run the FCD event)

Maybe the rules have changed regarding insurance - if not, that is another way around the liability issue which would avoid the squabbling club problem.

David Cavanagh:
...... so I announce that the 2003 ALL FRENCH CAR DAY will be held on the 23rd February 2003, I'm currently looking for venues so all suggestion will be noted.

David Cavanagh
President RCCV.
So is this date set in concrete or still subject to change?

I'd hate to be driving over, then find out it had been cancelled when I arrive..... :)

Well it's good all that has been cleared up, now at least we know the facts of what is going on.......

A few years ago I was talking to john hardy who owns the A110, he had a friend who owned a pub I think it was, right next to an oval in a inner city suburb, he was saying that it would be interesting to have a event there where you could have a drink, something to eat and walk accross the road to see the cars.

Now I don't know where that is, but maybe Colin from alpine affaire could lead you david to John Hardy, maybe there might be some ideas from that quarter of the renault enthusiast base here in Victoria.

Maybe worth the ring, it would be nice to have something like that, I knew maybe ovals are becoming hard places to find with cricket and football events on, but maybe there is somewhere among all the various events around the place........

Cool

David Cavanagh:

At the meeting Thursday night it was decided that seeing that next year is RCCV's turn we'll set the date right now, so I announce that the 2003 ALL FRENCH CAR DAY will be held on the 23rd February 2003, I'm currently looking for venues so all suggestion will be noted.
As a potential interstate visitor, can I please request that a wet-weather/sodden oval contingency plan be considered for the next event. (I know it's unlikely that it will be a problem if the February date is adhered to)

It could be as simple as transferring the cars to a car park somewhere if required, nothing fancy...

Thanks.

Wet weather in Melbourne in February, yeah rite.
Point taken, we'll look at all options. I'll ring Colin tomorrow to try to find Johns pub friend. This is great, creative input. My problem is I live and work in the western suburbs so I only know places on this side of town, I've already checked out a few sites including Brimbank Park, Werribee mansion, Point Cook Coastal Park, Bundoora Park but the best site I've found so far is Essendon Airport, I'm waiting for there man to get back to me.I would appreciate it if everyone could keep an eye out for a suitable location, anywhere in Melb metro, need to hold appoximatly 150-200 cars and be handy to toilets and food. So FCD 2003 is up and going, of course I can't guarantee anything yet but failing things like terrorist attacks, all systems are go.

David.

How about asking Renault (Vehicle Distributors Australia) themselves? Would they know of a suitable venue that may attract their interest and possible sponsorship? Possibly their compound of new cars, what an interesting contrast, the new with the old!

If i lived interstate i wouldnt take the risk of planning to come to melbourne for the FCD as with Melbourne weather and the organisational track record of the event down here combined holds as much belief as Saddam Hussein letting UN weapon inspectors back into Iraq....I'll beleive it when i see it. Just as an example, on sunday we had a summers day, not a cloud in the sky with 28 degrees. Monday was dark, cold and pouring. It happens in summer too.

About the venue, how about something funky like Elwood beach car park or St.Kilda marina. These places are pumping on a summer sunday, they would draw the largest crowds ever. Maybe it wouldnt be feasible.

renaulturbo, I don't get it, you live in Melbourne yet you can Melbourne weather, don't you know Melbourne has the least amount of rainfall of all capital cities on the east coast, You've never watched football?? watch a match played in Sydney compared to Melbourne. Have you ever seen it rain at a Melbourne Grand Prix compared with Adelaide. Melbourne is on the verge of water restrictions and you complain about the weather. So the chances of calling it off because of rain are nearly impossible and besides all that, I'm currently talking to Essendon airport management because there car park is tarmac and wouldn't matter if it rained.
Elwood Beach and St Kilda Marina, yeah sure, about as much chance as Albert Park, remember it's only the week before the GP. I hoping some interstaters might stay down for the week to see the GP.
MR T. your idea about Renault Australia is about right, they do supply money and cars for the event but as to there grounds, there lawns are all beautifully kept and I don't think they'd appreciate 150 cars parked on it, besides I'm working on them to let us it for our Renault round up later in the year when there's only Renaults. The FCD I'm trying to keep equal between all three makes.

David.

renaulturbo, I don't get it, you live in Melbourne yet you can Melbourne weather, don't you know Melbourne has the least amount of rainfall of all capital cities on the east coast, You've never watched football?? watch a match played in Sydney compared to Melbourne. Have you ever seen it rain at a Melbourne Grand Prix compared with Adelaide. Melbourne is on the verge of water restrictions and you complain about the weather. So the chances of calling it off because of rain are nearly impossible and besides all that, I'm currently talking to Essendon airport management because there car park is tarmac and wouldn't matter if it rained.
Elwood Beach and St Kilda Marina, yeah sure, about as much chance as Albert Park, remember it's only the week before the GP. I hoping some interstaters might stay down for the week to see the GP.
MR T. your idea about Renault Australia is about right, they do supply money and cars for the event but as to there grounds, there lawns are all beautifully kept and I don't think they'd appreciate 150 cars parked on it, besides I'm working on them to let us it for our Renault round up later in the year when there's only Renaults. The FCD I'm trying to keep equal between all three makes.

David.

<small>[ 18 September 2002, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: David Cavanagh ]</small>

I agree, the Eastern suburbs has a lot to offer, but as I said before, I'm in the western suburbs so I need help from members across town.
Besides, it's a none fact that the western suburbs have a lot less rain fall than the east.

David.

Yeah ok it hardly rains...but somehow does on FCD day . Remember november 2000? wasnt raining but did the day before and event was organised on an oval witch was soggy
(weather+organisation=cancel of event)

renaulturbo:
Yeah ok it hardly rains...but somehow does on FCD day . Remember november 2000? wasnt raining but did the day before and event was organised on an oval witch was soggy
(weather+organisation=cancel of event)
So renaulturbo that means you maybe attended 2 FCD's & you had a wet sunday drive in your "weno" how many other FCD's have there been ? take your hand off ya little fella and let ya brain function, you might just come up with a viable venue, instead of you and the others with lots of words & no actions trying to force your ideas on others, the old adage goes if ya want something done do it your self or the other one don't piss into the wind or it'll rain on you & spoil your FCD

moon moon moon moon moon moon moon moon

oooh... strong words from our newest member evil ... point taken, nonetheless, lets not turn this into a bashing session - is it any wonder why this years event has been postponed till next year? Heavan forbid, the new date will be postponed, yet again, due to rain, hail, sleet, pigs flying, etc, etc.

Although, Melbournes weather, at times, is unpredictable, during the warmer months, it is less so.

David, one venue you might want to consider is the Docklands Precint... errr, say at one of the warfs opposite the Flower Market, and Fish Market alnong Footscray Road (or is it Dynon Road). I have attended several "foodie celebrations" at one of the warfs and seems to be a fantastic location... concrete below us, amazing capacity, sheds can be utilised incase of inclement weather, proximity to the city, and unsurpassable veiws of the bay.

Or maybe you could try for Colonial Stadium mallet whip .

my beers warm,
a_drink
pugjet

What is the proposed date for the Renault Roundup? My budget won't allow both the Vic FCD then hanging around time for the Melb Motorshow the following week.

Someone didnt get none last night....

Ok point taken tadpole, FCD at my house, chuck a couple snags on the barby..thats as much as i can muster. Dont know who you think i am (President of Renault Australia?). I'm a humble frogger that gives credit when credit is due and voices an opinion, one voice in the crowd, when things are shabby.

Why are you pissing in my wind? Practice what you preach buddy.

Dont you have anything to complain about in life? Petrol prices? John Howard? Have you heard of freedom of speach?

Cheer up bro. Have a cold one

a_drink

Go freakin frog let em have it, I hope I don't meet you on a dark night.
Renaulturbo, we've been doing FCD's for 20 years now and only one has been cancelled, thats not a bad record wouldn't you agree.
When PCCV finally did put on the 2000 FCD it was a great event, the only mistake they made was no wet weather plan, that's why we're working on one now.
Pugjet, I seem to recall checking out the Docklands area for a previous FCD a few years ago, can't remember what the problem was but it was no go at the time. What were the foodie celebrations you've attended? If we can't get somewhere like Essendon Airport that has its own cafe we might have to explore take away food vans.
Mr T, there's no date set for the Renault Round up yet, it'll probably be around June/July as RCCV turn 50 then and we'll probably have a combined round up and birthday party.

David.