F1 2005 team moves ?

XTC

VIC: a fine driving state
1000+ Posts
Renault to announce drivers at French GP?

Traditionally Renault likes to announce its drivers at the French Grand Prix and it is expected that the two current incumbents will be kept on for another season, despite recent rumours that Jarno wanted more money than Renault was willing to pay. Jarno seemed to have options at Williams and Toyota but we believe that the logical move for him is to stay where he is and that an agreement has been made. This will open the way for Williams to confirm the signing of Mark Webber, which we expect to see at the British Grand Prix and we also anticipate that there will be an announcement in the same period confirming that Ralf Schumacher will be at Toyota. The second Toyota drive may also have been settled with our sources hinting that the man most likely to be alongside Ralf in 2005 is Olivier Panis, the team realizing that stability is an important element in growth. We would expect to see serious efforts by Toyota to place Ryan Briscoe with another team so that he can get back to racing. This will mean that the driver market will be focussed more than ever on the second Williams drive with the men in the picture likely to be David Coulthard, Giancarlo Fisichella and perhaps Antonio Pizzonia. There may be others in the frame but at the moment the team is not giving anything away.

Silly season...

I'll back Renault to keep what they got, its hard to decide who is better at the mo. (Alonso is my preferred driver, but his qualifying aint been all that good!)
Webber i think will go to Williams...

Thats all i can really see as being probable

webber may or may not go anywhere depending on what jaguar can pull off in the rest of the season, Webbers only exit clause from his contract with jaguar is realted to poor performance and if jaguar can work out there problems we may not see webber going anywhere. mclaren look sorted out haveing jaun pablo montoya and kimi raikonen. hmmm... i think we might see some of the more renowned drivers ending up haveing to drive for jaguar, sauber and jordan and i also wouldn't rule out heidfeld won't get a better drive then sauber next year or that barichelo is safe at ferari

Last edited:
As I understand it, Webber's contract stipulates that if by the halfway point of the season (ie, next race or two), Jaguar isn't above a particular place in the constructors' championship, then he's free to go. He doesn't have to wait until the end of the season to get a release for next season, only halfway.

As others have said, it is most likely that he'll go to Williams, although it's also possible that he'll go to Renault, since Briatore "owns" Webber.

Contracts dont mean much in F1 - Like everything they can be bought out. I doubt that Webber will stay with Jac Rac as the reliability hasnt been there and his performance clause will let him off the hook. It's no secret that Frank Williams, Patrick Head and others think very highly of him. I wouldnt think that Williams would be a bad move as they tend to get stung quite badly when things dont go their way and they normally come up with something that will trump the others.

Then again Mclaren, Ferrari etc are all a bit like that!

How good would it be to see Webber in a Renault. If Renault Australia were sharp it could really kickstart the brand in Aus again.

Izza said:
SCOTT DIXON FOR WILLIAMS
SCOTT DIXON FOR WILLIAMS

not that I'm a kiwi or anything :wink2:

Would be nice to have Dixon and Webber at Williams.
The antipodean Mafia!

Looks like Trulli is all but confirmed for Renault.
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=55150
\

Scott Dixon wont happen - he re-signed a deal with Ganassi in the US for a couple of years. Think that it was only signed a month or so ago after his Williams Test.

whats that bloke who won a world championship & went out with danni minogue, o yeah jackie villenuve:D . Apparently he will get a chance to do some testing & maybe given a drive next year, LETS HOPE NOT:)

purrr-geot said:
whats that bloke who won a world championship & went out with danni minogue, o yeah jackie villenuve:D . Apparently he will get a chance to do some testing & maybe given a drive next year, LETS HOPE NOT:)

if he does hopefully its for minardi :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited:
Rumour has it that Williams will buy out Mark Webber's contract at Jaguar and he will join Williams before year's end, maybe even after the French GP. Ralf may be out for the rest of the season, fractures in his spinal column, he'll be out for at least three months. Go Webber!

Rich

Zen said:
Rumour has it that Williams will buy out Mark Webber's contract at Jaguar and he will join Williams before year's end, maybe even after the French GP. Ralf may be out for the rest of the season, fractures in his spinal column, he'll be out for at least three months. Go Webber!

Rich

it will be intresting to see what mark webber can do in a real car, rather then one tht has been haveing as many problems this year as the jaguar. i think more podiums may be in the cards for mark webber in the rest of ths year, maybe even a win if he can stop the ferari parade. on the other hand ralf is a decent driver and can keep the competition intresting, so if all of this plus his injurues causes him to lose a seat for next year it will be a shame

Last edited:
Read on f1-live.com that Marc Gene will run the Williams at Silverstone this weekend. No announcement on future races yet. Guess Williams are still trying to do contract negotiations etc.

Woah... didn't see this coming... WilliamsF1 has just annouced that Mark Webber's partner for the 2005 season will be BAR's Jenson Button. Dave Richards is furious as he should be...

Rich

Zen said:
Woah... didn't see this coming... WilliamsF1 has just annouced that Mark Webber's partner for the 2005 season will be BAR's Jenson Button. Dave Richards is furious as he should be...

Rich

WOW! :eek: i didnt see that one coming either... neither did anyone else probably... for all i thought jensen would have been looked into BAR, if not by contract, then by wanting to stay there in a decent team... jensen and mark will be an intresting team... it will be intresting to see wether jensen or mark is the better driver... webber hasn't had the best teams to prove himself in... minardi and what was stewart and now is jaguar... one crap team and another team thats not much better

Last edited:
Zen said:

Rich
Guys is this in concrete, were did you get this from Zen? I'm not trying to discredit this.... it's.... well... you know, F1!?.....-Chris

I reckon they would make great team mates. Good move by Frank if you ask me. Hmmm might have to go to a GP next year. Sepang looks good.

Cal.

Zen said:

Rich

I don't think that this is so unexpected really as I'm sure Button was signed on a long term contract by Williams when he first started in F-1 and then "loaned out" to other teams on a year by year basis.
I think you'll find it was always intended that he'd end up back at Williams but perhaps it's happened sooner rather than later.

Alan S

Yeah, i thinks thats what the story was "loaned out"... just odd that he went to a worse team! but now Williams have some depth in their drivers!

Webber & Button... i think it'll be a great combination... both gentlemen & not the current 2 children they have!

CHRI'S16 said:
Guys is this in concrete, were did you get this from Zen? I'm not trying to discredit this.... it's.... well... you know, F1!?.....-Chris

Heh, I know what you mean. I first saw the story on news.com.au, had to read it twice to make sure and then checked formula1.com (official F1 site) and f1.racing-live.com and both confirmed the story.

Rich