EV alternatives

You'd need the full kit of extras ...

1713183819950.png

I would actually prefer an old Falcon over a Tesla.
I bought a base model 1999 AU in 2000 with 50K on the clock and it was a bloody good car.
Smooth, quiet, went like the clappers, and for a big six cylinder it was pretty good on fuel too.

The cars "still exist". what exactly does this prove. Does it just prove, the things are to expensive to get rid of? What a weird advertisement for electric cars :unsure: How is the battery health, have they had new batteries? How many of the cars mentioned have Nimh versus Lithium batteries .......... What a weird meaningless article.

I can see what they are trying to insinuate ... they may even be right...... but they aren't even game enough to make a conclusion themselves

The cars "still exist". what exactly does this prove. Does it just prove, the things are to expensive to get rid of? What a weird advertisement for electric cars :unsure: How is the battery health, have they had new batteries?
hard earned ££ How many of the cars mentioned have Nimh versus Lithium batteries .......... What a weird meaningless article.

I can see what they are trying to insinuate ... they may even be right...... but they aren't even game enough to make a conclusion themselves
I found the article quite interesting.
I learnt if I'd bought a much cheaper ICE Ford Focus (out of the 250,000 sold in the UK between 2011 and 2013), statistically I would have a much better chance that the Ford would still viable transport today; than if I'd spent 50% more of my of my hard earned £££ on buying one of the BEVs the article mentioned.🤷‍♂️

I guess this article is just confirming what most of us already knew.
Imagine buying a new Tesla, and every day when you get home you reverse it into your drive.
Then every evening for 2 years you tuck a $50 note under the windscreen wiper, and every morning the money's gone.
Then after 2 years you buy another one, and start the same process all over again.
Makes sense.

Some of these up country chargers are in fairly isolated spots. Frankly I wouldn't like to be charging at them late at night. From a security concern. Was a time when country crime was not a problem but drug use has changed that. I guess people who need them charge in civilized hours. Never seen a car at them but some must use them. Still haven't seen a Tesla but I'm looking.

I found the article quite interesting.
I learnt if I'd bought a much cheaper ICE Ford Focus (out of the 250,000 sold in the UK between 2011 and 2013), statistically I would have a much better chance that the Ford would still viable transport today; than if I'd spent 50% more of my of my hard earned £££ on buying one of the BEVs the article mentioned.🤷‍♂️
I'd concluded the same.

More of an ad for the focus.

Even though the Cybertruck is apparently "bulletproof", and even though it has a "car wash mode", Tesla's warranty doesn't cover car wash related issues.
You couldn't make this sh#t up.

Even though the Cybertruck is apparently "bulletproof", and even though it has a "car wash mode", Tesla's warranty doesn't cover car wash related issues.
You couldn't make this sh#t up.

That's got to be a satire article right ? 🫣 🫣 This isn't even anything to do with it being and EV. regardless of propulsion method, it highlights what a ridiculous vehicle it is. All they had to do is make it a big weather proof "box" ... and it would be a very functional van sized car.

That's got to be a satire article right ? 🫣 🫣 This isn't even anything to do with it being and EV. regardless of propulsion method, it highlights what a ridiculous vehicle it is. All they had to do is make it a big weather proof "box" ... and it would be a very functional van sized car.
Whether it is due to it being an EV or not is unknown. Obviously something got wet that shouldn't have, whether that component is unique to EVs or is shared with ICE vehicles wasn't stated, and apparently the vehicle decided to work the following day.
The excerpt from the owner's manual sort of says it all, you can't just drive in to a carwash and stick it in neutral like other cars. You also can't wash it in the sun or add cleaning fluid to windscreen washer bottle.
Sound like the things need a vinyl wrap, just to protect the "bulletproof, rocket grade" stainless steel.🤦‍♂️

A module somewhere in the vehicle got wet, dried out and then started working again.

The fact that we now have cars that require reboot sequences is just stupid. But I guess that's where it ends up when there's more computing components than mechanical ones.

The whole cybertruck thing is just stupid.

The cars "still exist". what exactly does this prove. Does it just prove, the things are to expensive to get rid of? What a weird advertisement for electric cars :unsure: How is the battery health, have they had new batteries? How many of the cars mentioned have Nimh versus Lithium batteries .......... What a weird meaningless article
How many of the ICE vehicles of a similar age are still at 100% factory spec for the engine and running gear? Given the article is from the UK, how many are petrol or diesel and which type of engine is more efficient? Does it really matter? Really, you need to stop cherrypicking.
I learnt if I'd bought a much cheaper ICE Ford Focus (out of the 250,000 sold in the UK between 2011 and 2013), statistically I would have a much better chance that the Ford would still viable transport today
But subject to some reduction in power and increased consumption due to age. The vehicle's condition would depend on the use, servicing and care given to the vehicle in the past 10 years.
Frankly I wouldn't like to be charging at them late at night.
Which is why most EV charging is done at home.

Recharging may be done at home for those with suitable facilities and off street parking but travelers over quite a large geographical area don't have a choice if they are heading to a destination outside their battery range. For reasons known to them people do travel long distances at odd hours.
Hamilton did have z charger in a park but public pressure had it taken out. There is one in a light industrial area.

Last edited:
How many of the ICE vehicles of a similar age are still at 100% factory spec for the engine and running gear? Given the article is from the UK, how many are petrol or diesel and which type of engine is more efficient? Does it really matter? Really, you need to stop cherrypicking.

my guess is 99.999999999999% of them. I'm pretty sure I'm not far from wrong either. Most cars would die with there original drivelines still fitted these days. The motor/gearbox usually outlasts the car.

my guess is 99.999999999999% of them. I'm pretty sure I'm not far from wrong either. Most cars would die with there original drivelines still fitted these days. The motor/gearbox usually outlasts the car.
Hmm, have you been to the UK in the last few decades? I lived there for 10 years and barely ever saw a "normal" car in good condition.

That article actually surprised me, I thought most cars of that age had been scrapped.

I'm sure this surprised no one

Now that there's a healthy real world consumption & emissions database building up we should be able to get a real comparison between ICE/hybrid/BEV

0But subject to some reduction in power and increased consumption due to age. The vehicle's condition would depend on the use, servicing and care given to the vehicle in the past 10 years
Have you got any studies to substantiate that loss of power and increase in fuel consumption at 10 years of age claim?
Studies with actual dynometer testing, and fuel consumption trials, not a study that is comprised of assurances from some Muppet thats sole motoring experience is that they watch reruns of Top Gear?

That has never been my experience with any reasonably well maintained fuel injected ICE car.
There's no shortage of high mileage dyno tests on YouTube with cars in the order of 600K plus kms on them and still making power within a couple of percent of the factory spec.
I would hazard a guess that an average mileage 10 year old, car would make the same power (or maybe even a little more) than when it was new.
My son and DIL's 2013 diesel Dualis still burns fuel at exactly 4.5L per 100kms, the same as it did when they bought it brand new 11 years ago.
My youngest daughter still drives the 2011 J3 Chery my wife bought brand new. It used fuel at the rate of 8L per 100 kms when it was new. I just rang my daughter to check, and it still uses exactly 8L per 100kms.
I bought a 2004 Smart For2 in 2017 with 140K kms on the clock. It was in average condition with no service history, it would return 22kms per litre, rain, hail or shine, and I was non too gentle driving it either. That works out at slightly over 4.5L per 100 kms, the factory figure is 4.7L per 100 kms.

There seems to be a plethora of BS based articles getting around to try and present ICE vehicles with having exactly the same problems as EVs. They are easy to spot, because they have all only been published over the past couple of years, you know since the governments of the world decided we should all buy an EV, funny that.
One memorable comment was made in article on EV battery degradation (reduced range).
Some EV wombat stated that "the University of Minnesota released a paper stating that "on average, ICE cars used 30% more fuel at 10 years of age than they did when they were new". Of course he got crucified in the comments by all the ICE drivers that had older cars, that were still returning the same fuel economy as when they bought them new.
I easily found the study in question, it actually said "the average new car produced today uses 30% less fuel than the average new car did 10 years ago".
I simply replied to him with; "you might want to go back and read that Minnesota paper a little more thoroughly"
Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing.

Another EV pearler that comes up is, "if Ethiopia can implement an immediate ban on ICE car sales, there's no reason the western countries can't do it".
The tiniest little bit of research on the Ethiopian car market, reveals the ban on new ICE cars sales amounts to what is colloquially known as a, "big whoop".🤦‍♂️