Early vs Late Mi16's - School Me

icebergstu

Tadpole
So I've heard a lot of people say that the early 405's better than the late 405's or are more desirable.

Why?

d0154dc41b214e971104b41f0cd746ae.jpg
2600f04c19e9410a055ce84c0996beca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think it's mainly the revvy character of the early engine and the sculptured design of the dashboard (the later one, while being of better quality, is quite ordinary).

The main issue with the early one in Australia is the lack of torque due to a lower compression ratio than the European version. Unfortunately for RHD versions in hot countries, cracked dashboards are difficult to find replacement parts for.

I wish I'd not disposed of my 'Series 1.5', but life events caused me to make a rash decision...

Too me a series 1 is a more fun car. But a series 2 is a better daily.

I think the series 2 is the better car - it still has the same suspension genius that the early car has, but the better materials inside and the better engine prove it to be more durable and have more usable torque at mid range revs.
John505

I have had a couple of S2s and they seemed to have very dull handling response. Don't know why really, I haven't had the same feeling with series 2 8 valve cars. Torque wise even the XU10j4rs GTi6/VTS engine isn't all that good, you need a 4.8 or 5.1 final drive to get a 16 valve car working properly.

Why is that mate?

Series 2 has a better build quality. More structure rigidity and better dash makes the car feel much better put together. The fact that they dont rattle nearly as much (due to a good dash) and have much better sound and wind proofing all makes it feel like a much better car. Making it nicer to live with.

The series 1 is much lighter and the engine is soooo much better. The fact that if just wants to rev makes it much more fun. The series one handles slightly better, feels more nimble. Series one engine are also more reliable. My first one got to 510,000 kms without the bottom end being touched. Only reason it came off the road is because someone turned in front of me and wrote it off. Whilst my series 2 had its first engine fully rebuild at a cost of 7k buy the previous owner, it then failed, I fitted a second hand one which also failed so I fitted another second hand one which was good until I soId it. Cant remember any of the kms but it had about 270k when I sold it. However the more modern electrical under the bonnet are great. Doing away with the airflow meter and getting individual coils was a nice change!

Anyway that's my view of them both. If I found either in as good condition as mine where I'd take one!

The only structural difference that I can find in the body shell is that the S2 has extra rails alongside the centre "tunnel". These were also included in the last of the S1s, 1993, though.

IMO the S1 was way more raw, felt lighter and was much more raucous to drive. The S2 was much more refined. Most likely a better car, but I’d pick another S1 again anyday.

The only structural difference that I can find in the body shell is that the S2 has extra rails alongside the centre "tunnel". These were also included in the last of the S1s, 1993, though.

I’m sure the S2 has about 1000 extra spot welds. I may be exaggerating there but the number is huge, making it structurally stiffer. Whilst they look the same, they don’t actually share many of the same parts.

I have had a couple of S2s and they seemed to have very dull handling response. Don't know why really, I haven't had the same feeling with series 2 8 valve cars. Torque wise even the XU10j4rs GTi6/VTS engine isn't all that good, you need a 4.8 or 5.1 final drive to get a 16 valve car working properly.

Beg to differ. The J4rs has bag loads more torque than any 8v. The 8v FEELS like it has more response but alas... Drags? ...

I’m sure the S2 has about 1000 extra spot welds. I may be exaggerating there but the number is huge, making it structurally stiffer. Whilst they look the same, they don’t actually share many of the same parts.
Same with the 306 S16 vs Gti6 if I'm correct.
So engine wise the S1 has the same engine as the S16. What does the S2 have?

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Same with the 306 S16 vs Gti6 if I'm correct.
So engine wise the S1 has the same engine as the S16. What does the S2 have?

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

S2 has same engine as S16.

S1 has 1.9 litre all alloy engine. Only similarity (though slight differences) is the cyl head.

Only driven 3 x 405s.

S2 8v :- great car, very flexible power/torque wise. :)

S2 Mi-16 :- another great car similar to the above however more of everything. :headbang:

S1 Mi-16 4x4 :- short drive only a couple of kms. It had NO toque to talk about, I thought that there was something wrong with the car so I returned it to the owner immediately! :(

Some great feedback here everyone cheers.

I picked up a cheap 1994 405Mi16 which will get the royal treatment over time.

I had an S1 but it was a long time ago so can't remember any difference besides the dash and centre arm rest in the front.

This one doesn't seem as long in the tooth o The final drive from memory. Winds out a bit quicker.

Best thing so far is it says cool in traffic jams which is a relief buying an old cheap car.

$750

4f58105553890b3248073fa0d066be89.jpg
f8382c2ce89c644ddc7c4474cdd324f7.jpg
d96f3380da6bd78121f2b8228d013dd3.jpg

It's all academic now right.

They are all ~30yrs old with 200,000km's if you lucky.

Get a clean looking one, have fun and don't worry about it.

#Ninja Edit

Ah i see you did just that. Well great. Now have fun! :headbang:

S1 Mi-16 4x4 :- short drive only a couple of kms. It had NO toque to talk about, I thought that there was something wrong with the car so I returned it to the owner immediately! :(

There's no such car. There is was an Mi16x4 however. And yes, small motor, heavy car, lots of power draining transmission.

4 x 4 = 16?

It was a grey one.

I once gave it a bit of burn from the lights. I was in my '92 S3 205GTi. The 4 x (whatever) got about 1 car length in front of me off the line and after this they appeared very even, until we were approaching go straight to gaol speeds. :crazy: