Early vs Late Mi16's - School Me

Standard Mi16's were never a road rocket anyway, although Euro spec ones were fairly well regarded in the nippiness department for their time.

The x4 is Euro spec but hampered by extra weight and driveline losses over the standard car as Peter said. I'd have thought a decent GTi 1.9 should have pipped the Mi in a traffic light drag. From memory they are pretty close to a Euro spec 2WD Mi16 in 0-100 time aren't they?

The best way I would describe it is like a good rev happy Japanese h/back. Not much happened below a certain RPM, but then oh, boy! Mine was a '94 car with very low mileage (70k) and exemplary service history (bills I received in manila folders, one for each year summed up to more than the cost of the car new, all service, nothing because of issues). Went like mad when you booted it. Sold it back to the previous owner with 150k? Something like that on the clock. With good tires I don't think I've driven a better handling FWD car bar the 205GTi.

Very comfy to drive around town, quick enough to eat miles on a long road. I think the frenchies hit the bullseye with this car. Split personality, perfect fit for hoons and bank managers alike.

Last edited:
Alloy S 1 blocks could give a problem if coolant not used and copper coat or such not used on head studs.
There were a thousand odd improvements to S1.5 Mi I6's.thought it was more than just body welds.
Seven odd grand for a rebuild.Sounds like Merciless Benz ,Burn My Wallet or Insane Audi charges....BUT....to balance that out,and need to check,a gent I spoke to ,LOVES HDI WAGON...had to dig 500 bucks out for a centre rear seat ...some thing jammed inside buckle..no fix...$$500.00.

One of Peugeots many parameters was ...'WE MAKE OUR PROFIT WHEN WE SELL OUR CARS...NOT THROUGH SELLING SPARE PARTS.

The x4 is Euro spec but hampered by extra weight and driveline losses over the standard car as Peter said. I'd have thought a decent GTi 1.9 should have pipped the Mi in a traffic light drag. From memory they are pretty close to a Euro spec 2WD Mi16 in 0-100 time aren't they?

Some Googling 0-100, +/- a bit
1.9 GTi (D6B) 7.6s
1.9 GTi (DFZ) 8.5s
Mi16 (D6C) 8.2s
Mi16x4 9s
Mi16 (DFW) 9.2s
Mi16 2L 8.5s

So the Mi16x4 with a theoretical 60% grip advantage, should beat all the other (above) pugs off the line without any trouble. (One would think).:2cents: :)

That behaviour usually strips the teeth off the input shaft of the transfer case.

More about the snow and less about performance, to be fair.

I still miss my Mi16.

Nah, get a 205GTi if you miss your Mi16. Yeah, the family won't fit in it, but that is the ultimate fun car hands down. Get a Corolla for the family.

AWD/4WD is not about getting off the line quickly. The front wheels are unloaded anyway so they won't help much unless you have some clever torque biasing gizmo. It's about cornering as fast as possible in difficult conditions.

S1 - Dash rattles
S2 - Dash rattles less :roflmao:

I like the earlier cars based on the ones I have driven. The 1.9 with upped compression and a cam was a quick car, but remember in a straight line - it will still get eaten by a base model Falcon XT :mad:

There's nothing cooler than a S1 with a lux pack!

Indeed. I sold my S1 Lux pack, UK import to JohnT, complete with SL434's. I've always regretted that sale.

That behaviour usually strips the teeth off the input shaft of the transfer case.

I can't see why Peugeot built the Mi16x4? They were apparently too heavy, could not be blasted off the line either and were slower than the equivalent 2wd models? :confused:

*Edit: Sorry just read bowie's post :- driving in "snow". Maybe?

Last edited:
Handles like on rails though and a lot more comfortable to ride in. Just like a 504? The Citroen rear end is sublime.

S1 - Dash rattles

I like the earlier cars based on the ones I have driven. The 1.9 with upped compression and a cam was a quick car, but remember in a straight line - it will still get eaten by a base model Falcon XT :mad:

OK if you are short, otherwise no headroom. Also the leather seats were most uncomfortable, no lower back support, maybe they were OK when new.

Last edited:
S1 - Dash rattles

That's a 1968 XT Falcon?

OK if you are short, otherwise no headroom. Also the leather seats where most uncomfortable, no lower back support, maybe they were OK when new.
That was always a big complaint about 405s with sunroofs. I'm not short about 6 foot and never had an issue with the roof being to low. I loved my lux pack. I agree about early leather not being comfortable. But late ones are really nice.

I nearly have a Series 2 ready to go in the road, with only one problem to solve. Can anybody enlighten me on where the engine number is???