DS23IE transmission cooler hose

harrisson_citroen

Frogs Parking Only - All others will be toad.
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Would anyone have a picture of the transmission cooler hoses arrangement in a Borg warner DS23?
ie from top of auto box to oil cooler in front of radiator.

I've removed the old ones to replace them without noting which one runs where. Typical!:rolleyes:

Or does it make no difference ? Will the fluid circulate in any configuration?

Thanks Guys for replies through PM's.
I've now found a photo on Google clear enough to show what's what.

Cheers,

ffdc870fb33692f8ad36c01050eb8302.jpg

When I first had the auto transmission cooler hoses replaced, the mechanic(?) used a cool temperature rubber hose which lasted about a week. The oil gets very hot... I ended up replacing those crappy hoses with a turbo charger oil hose which will probably outlast the car. Unsure of turbo hose brand, but was blue in colour.

When I first had the auto transmission cooler hoses replaced, the mechanic(?) used a cool temperature rubber hose which lasted about a week. The oil gets very hot... I ended up replacing those crappy hoses with a turbo charger oil hose which will probably outlast the car. Unsure of turbo hose brand, but was blue in colour.

Silicone?

DSC00031.jpgDSC00030.jpgAfter repairing the hoses on the BVA, I've sprung a new leak as shown on picture. Anyone knows if I can safely remove and reaseal, or is there a particular procedure with that fitting. (It appears tight enough)

View attachment 57963View attachment 57964After repairing the hoses on the BVA, I've sprung a new leak as shown on picture. Anyone knows if I can safely remove and reaseal, or is there a particular procedure with that fitting. (It appears tight enough)

I think we're going to get you a Toyota Camry, Phil. No fuss, no muss....:whip::D

I'm thinking spray a little carb or brake cleaner around that area, then see if you can determine where from on the leak. Possibly a small split on that hose at the fitting barb, seeing as the drip is above where the fitting joint is. Can you safely crane your head down in there to look while the car is running?

I think we're going to get you a Toyota Camry, Phil. No fuss, no muss....:whip::D

I'm thinking spray a little carb or brake cleaner around that area, then see if you can determine where from on the leak. Possibly a small split on that hose at the fitting barb, seeing as the drip is above where the fitting joint is. Can you safely crane your head down in there to look while the car is running?

Thanks Bill. It's pretty hard to get your face close enough in there to see what's going on, but I was able to wipe it clean with a cloth and screw driver. Will stay dry with engine off, once engine on will leak quite quickly. Can't tell wether it's the fitting or the hose. Although I managed to fit a spanner in there and ascertained it is tight enough.
the black hose comes from the filter (as seen in the example photo of the whole engine I posted earlier up this thread).

Do you know what is the hose for? Also do you think first port of call would to replace the hose, or fitting at the same time?

Well I always knew I was in for the long run with this baby, and at least I am learning a lot of stuff, and also getting the satisfaction knowing almost everything has been replaced. uhh wait, I still have to do the injectors rubbers.....

Thanks Bill. It's pretty hard to get your face close enough in there to see what's going on, but I was able to wipe it clean with a cloth and screw driver. Will stay dry with engine off, once engine on will leak quite quickly. Can't tell wether it's the fitting or the hose. Although I managed to fit a spanner in there and ascertained it is tight enough.
the black hose comes from the filter (as seen in the example photo of the whole engine I posted earlier up this thread).

Do you know what is the hose for? Also do you think first port of call would to replace the hose, or fitting at the same time?

Well I always knew I was in for the long run with this baby, and at least I am learning a lot of stuff, and also getting the satisfaction knowing almost everything has been replaced. uhh wait, I still have to do the injectors rubbers.....

Yah- if you can't safely get in for a closer look, please don't try. Last thing I want to see is you were seriously injured or even killed just to get a closer look.

I'll have to see if I can figure out what that hose is. I don't know, I'm not familiar with those transmissions. One thing I can guess is that is a pressure fitting. Replacement of either or will depend on how good/bad the fitting on the transmission is, I would guess.

No worries about long-term work. Like I say, it's a restoration. Stuff like that is gonna happen. :bravo:

Just don't mention the injector seals again. I hear that if you invoke their name 3 times, it's like Betelgeuse- trouble pops up at the most inopportune time. :evil:

OK, I've had a bit of a look at an SM service manual. The BW35 was basically the same, SM or D.

What I saw was a rubber pipe that runs from about where your leaky fitting is, out to a small vent canister, then returning to the transmission. A short tube ran from this canister to vent. The fittings are sealed to the transmission by way of o-rings. SO! My first guess is sort of in line with yours- replace the sealing o-ring first, go from there. I'm going to say that replacing the vent hose assembly won't be too much harder if you need to.

If you do wind up replacing the hose, try not to scratch the ball/barb surface of the vent fitting. It will leak if you mar it badly enough.

Sorry- that was an SM parts book, not the service manual.

Last edited:
OK, I thought the canister was some sort of filter, but yes I see the short venting pipe. I guess I'll do the o ring and new hose at the same time.
Bill, when I spotted the dripping under the car, it was finding its way around the gasket at the pan, I thought the pan bolts were not tight enough, and I tightened then quite tight.....is that a mistake? It's only later I found it was coming from higher up.
How come the hose to the cooler has to be high grade, and this one appears to be quite ordinary rubber?
As always, thanks a million.

Via the aussiefrogs App

OK, I thought the canister was some sort of filter, but yes I see the short venting pipe. I guess I'll do the o ring and new hose at the same time.
Bill, when I spotted the dripping under the car, it was finding its way around the gasket at the pan, I thought the pan bolts were not tight enough, and I tightened then quite tight.....is that a mistake? It's only later I found it was coming from higher up.
How come the hose to the cooler has to be high grade, and this one appears to be quite ordinary rubber?
As always, thanks a million.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Excellent- that was a relatively simple fix.

Yah, you may have them too tight. Mileage will tell. Don't undo them until you're ready for a service. The real problem is you can pretty easily distort the pan gasket surface. I wouldn't worry too much just so long as you aren't leaking copious amounts from there. Expect to replace the pan gasket when you do your first fluid change. You may also need to 'flatten' the bolt holes.

Just a guess on the hose would be because the cooler hose is subject to the higher temps and the higher pressure.

57963d1404615866-ds23ie-transmission-cooler-hose-dsc00031.jpgWell now I have replaced the hose, the clamp and a new copper washer, but the leak is still there .........
If this is only a breather pipe does anyone know why it should be throwing up oil through there?

This is the old photo, just to show where the leak is:

Take the dipstick out and see if it still leaks ,reason to de pressurize the trans
Tonyandryan@msn.com

Thanks Tony and Hotrod.

I went crazy over the weekend and stripped everything out again. I finally found that the leak was coming from above and disguising itself as a leak from the black hose as per photo, when in fact it was coming from the blue hose at a point where the radiator was hiding it.
The leak would then follow a track hidden all the way and reappear at the bottom of the black hose. Tricky, but all fixed now!

Gotta get back to more serious things like arguing whether a DSpecial is a DS or not.......

Flogging with a stale croissant may have legions of enthusiasts! Especially if the punishment is delivered by Emmanuelle Béart.