Drop a PRV V6 into a 505

Renaults_Also_Go

Fellow Frogger
Hello Everyone!

I have a 2.8ltr PRV K-Jetronic V6 from a Renault 30. Does anyone know if I can drop it into a 1984 Peugot 505? Can I use the standard 505 5 speed gear box? What sump should I use to make the engine mountings match the 505 engine bay?

Thanks guys.

I think the sump is the same, but you need:

-604 engine mounts
-604 radiator
-BA10 5 speed gearbox (your 505 STI has a BA7)
-the correct bellhousing to fit the V6 to a BA10. RHD versions which allow you to keep your power steering are hard to find. LHD versions are easier to find but the starter motor interferes with the pipework. Alternaitvely there is a guy in Victoria who can cast up a RHD bellhosuing to fit either a BA10 or BA7 gearbox, but they cost $600 and there is atleast a 3 year waiting list at the moment (the guy has alot of other work on).
-your also need to modify the ventilation box on the firewall to clear to left hand head. Alternatively you can mount the engine a little further forward.

Dave

Hope you arent going to wreck an R30 for this project!! The R30 is a much nicer car (now waiting to be yelled at for my rash words.. :p ) than a 505, and a lot rarer.
I've heard the best PRV unit to use is from a Volvo (something about even v. odd fire??) and has a better injection system. Relativly plentiful too I imagine.

Renaults_Also_Go:
Hello Everyone!

I have a 2.8ltr PRV K-Jetronic V6 from a Renault 30. Does anyone know if I can drop it into a 1984 Peugot 505? Can I use the standard 505 5 speed gear box? What sump should I use to make the engine mountings match the 505 engine bay?

Thanks guys.
I'm just putting the finishing touches to a PRV V6 myself, to go in a 505, but I'm using the auto from a 604. It is pretty much a straight bolt-up.

If you decide not to go ahead, how much do you want for the motor? I have a wagon which could do with the same treatment... :)

Regards,
John Lane.

renophile:
Hope you arent going to wreck an R30 for this project!! The R30 is a much nicer car (now waiting to be yelled at for my rash words.. :p ) than a 505, and a lot rarer.
I've heard the best PRV unit to use is from a Volvo (something about even v. odd fire??) and has a better injection system. Relativly plentiful too I imagine.
actually the odd fire crank is stronger than the even fire

what are the tow variants of these volvo engines.. odd and even fire im talking about..

im geusing the injection system but cracks as well??

which is the ideal engine to use.. ? Ideal being stronger.. for use in a 505 application?

Thanks guys,

It all sounds a bit too hard so I think I'll just leave the motor in the 30 for the moment. It's actually a 1983 Volvo 760 motor with a 30 bottom end so it bolts into the 30.

Anyone want to buy the whole car? :confused: :confused:

1974-1985 2664cc odd fire carby or inj
1980-1985 2849cc odd fire inj (carby on US 604)
1985-1990? 2849cc even fire injected
1990- 2975cc and 2963cc even fire injected

I think volvo stopped using the V6 in about 1988, but I'm not sure.

I think the best version is the 2849cc odd fire, which you can find in Australia fitted to either a late 265 (i.e. 260 wagon) or early 760.

You can get 3 litre pistons and sleeve kits from overseas. The cheapest kits are probably the 2975cc 9.5:1 compression kits from the R25 based Eagle Premier sold in the US, rather than the 3 litre kits made for the 605 or Citroen XM.

Dave

renophile:
Hope you arent going to wreck an R30 for this project!! The R30 is a much nicer car than a 505
Just guessing, but it wouldn't be the motor that makes an R30 superior, would it? :p

Cheers!
John Lane.

davemcbean:
1974-1985 2664cc odd fire carby or inj
1980-1985 2849cc odd fire inj (carby on US 604)
1985-1990? 2849cc even fire injected
1990- 2975cc and 2963cc even fire injected

I think volvo stopped using the V6 in about 1988, but I'm not sure.
Probably the last PRVs you'll find in a Volvo are the very first 960s that arrived in Australia, so that'd be about 1991 or so. After 1988, you'd have the updated 760.

After the first batch of 960s, they used their new 2.9 inline six. With the jump from 108kW to 150kW, it was worth it.

so what are the PRV's like.. economically wise.. granted that they come stock with a relativly low hp rating.. still an improvment over 8v 2.2L pug donk.. bit still...

bowie:
so what are the PRV's like.. economically wise.. ...
They drink heaps more fuel than any of the standard 4 cylinder Pug engines. That's why so many people convert them to LPG. They run very well on LPG due to the large inlet ports.

Dave

<small>[ 29 July 2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>

just came accross this site talking about the 505's in america.. from here..
<a href="http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/files/505faqv1.txt" target="_blank">http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/files/505faqv1.txt</a>

The V6 engine is an all aluminum engine designed by Peugeot, Renault and Volvo, and is commonly
referred to as the PRV. The PRV has been used in various forms in Volvos, Renaults, Alpines, De
Loreans, Eagles, Venturi, and finally Peugeots. While there have been problems in the Volvo versions, the Peugeot versions are nearly indestructible and can be expected to give over 300,000 miles before rebuild if properly cared for. The PRV engine is a 90-degree V6, most V6's are 60 degree.

In earlier 604 models one could notice a slight mechanical imbalance at idle due to the 90-degree layout. Peugeot has refined the ZN3J in several ways. The crankshaft journals are offset 30 degrees to insure a combustion stroke every 120 degrees, which is identical to the firing cycle of a typical V6. The ZN3J also employees gear-driven counter-rotating flyweights on each end of the right-hand camshaft. This helps filter out any other engine vibration. Peugeot claims that with this the ZN3J could be one of the smoothest running V6's in the world.

Also worth noting is that Mercedes-Benz is also producing a similar system for their V6's. (As of 1997)The ZN3J also has the Bosch LH-Jetronic fuel-injection system that uses Platinum heated wire to measure incoming air resistance as a method of adjusting fuel-air mixture. The Bosch ignition system is also a Cartographic system. This means that the system compares many environmental factors such as engine speed, temperature, ignition timing, and throttle position, with hundreds of "maps" stored in its memory. The system also automatically maintains a 750 rpm idle regardless of load. "
Now the naturaly laws of consuption tells me a Pug PRV v6 will cost me 3 donkeys, a bucket of gold a kidney, and a splean of a 17yr old vergin Christain.. but im just a bit confussed about the differnet variatns of this PRV.

Are all the PRV blocks the same?? so theoreticall.. you could take a PUG V6 stip here down.. and turn it into a Volvo V6, if you were so crazyilly inclinded.

so basicaly its just all he differnt head's and injection systems.. along with all the other moving parts within a PRV that distinguish between them.. lol ]

<small>[ 29 July 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: bowie ]</small>

<a href="http://www.xs4all.nl/~tg00088/pdfpeug/mpeg/V6inj1.mpg" target="_blank">http://www.xs4all.nl/~tg00088/pdfpeug/mpeg/V6inj1.mpg</a>

is this realy how noisy a PRV is eek!

seems to be a lot of knocking going on there..
:confused:

this carbi one tho sounds a lot more... healthier...

<a href="http://www.xs4all.nl/~tg00088/pdfpeug/mpeg/v6carb1.mpg" target="_blank">http://www.xs4all.nl/~tg00088/pdfpeug/mpeg/v6carb1.mpg</a>

There are differences in the parts, but not great ones.

For instance, I think the Renault engine has the ancillary drive belts from the flywheel end of a camshaft. And the Renault block has a different gearbox attachment bolt pattern. That may be the crankcase casting that's different there, though, come to think of it.

The fuel issue is, as mentioned by Dave, cured by going LPG.

Check out this kit car with PRV V6:

<a href="http://www.nfauto.co.uk/pictures.htm" target="_blank">http://www.nfauto.co.uk/pictures.htm</a>

<a href="http://www.nfauto.co.uk/options.htm" target="_blank">http://www.nfauto.co.uk/options.htm</a>

Ray Bell:
There are differences in the parts, but not great ones.

For instance, I think the Renault engine has the ancillary drive belts from the flywheel end of a camshaft. And the Renault block has a different gearbox attachment bolt pattern. That may be the crankcase casting that's different there, though, come to think of it.

The fuel issue is, as mentioned by Dave, cured by going LPG.
get the right inlet manifold if you want to run a carbie and have the fuel in proper suspension before hitting the inlet ports and you have a fairly economical PRV engine

i have been there and done this and have lived to tell the tale
31-33mpg on a trip out of a 604
mums 604 used to return 29mpg running from bundanoon to moss vale and it was as stock as a rock
the car i had ran a BA10/5 with a 3.58:1 diff
on a trip from moss vale to cobar and back it returned an average of just on 32mpg (ex nick ilic car that returned from memory 64mpg on an economy run in canberra)

if you don't want to run a carbie then run injection on the car as that is what the engine was designed for in the first place as people will tell you that have pulled them apart and looked at the inlet ports as they have the cut out in them for the injectors

sorry guys i'm just not comfortable in cars running on gas especially when there are other options

the idea of gas with a huge amount of boost thos is interesting...

given that induction temps wil be minimal.. Hmmmm

nice link by the way too wink

<small>[ 29 July 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: bowie ]</small>

pugrambo:
sorry guys i'm just not comfortable in cars running on gas especially when there are other options
Just wondering, why do some people have such a deep seated hatred of LPG?

I think it's been raised on this forum before, but there are far more positives than negatives running a car on LPG.

The positives are:
Less cylinder bore wear due to less wash down.
Less total engine wear due to reduced oil contamination.
MUCH higher octane rating than PULP and higher than AVGAS in some cases.
Easy fuel metering system negates the need for EFI.
Fuel is completely atomised on entry to the intake which reduces CO emissions.
Slightly MORE power than petrol if engine is designed to run on LPG, as Higher C/R is possible due to higher octane rating.
Enviromentally friendly
Low running costs.
No pollution equipment required by EPA :D

The negatives:
Negligable power loss on a standard engine.
Lower energy content means you use slighty more LPG than Petrol (who cares, it's 1/3 the price)
Cost of the installation
Loss of originality (not really a factor if your putting a PRV in a 604 anyway)

Can anyone think of any other advantages/disadvantages with LPG?

LPG gets a raw deal...People seem to think an engine will wear out quicker, but if you've got hardened valve seats, the engine will actually last LONGER..

It's like anything, if it's done right it's great....Oh and LPG is Great for forced induction :D :D 105 octane has that effect :D