Do wish to electrify your classic Froggy ?

jaahn

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi :)
This could be an easier way to get the motor for your electric conversion. (y) A new crate motor from Ford ready to go. Mind you there are a few bibs and bobs to get together also. But quick off the mark !
Jaahn
https://www.thedrive.com/news/42974...rate-motor-costs-3900-and-you-can-buy-one-now
Eluminator-Hero.jpg

eluminator.png

Eluminator electric crate motor is expected to be the first of its kind to be engineered, developed and offered by an original equipment manufacturer - it is similar to the e-motors applied on the 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT, and will be available from Ford Performance Parts (M-9000-MACHE).
Weighing in at a svelte 205 pounds, this electric dynamo delivers 281 horsepower, 317lb.-ft. of torque, and generates a maximum speed of 13,800rpm. The Eluminator crate engine package includes a high-voltage motor-to-traction invertor harness, low-voltage harness connector, and vent tube assembly.
M-9000-MACHE

So, when it comes to heart-pounding, visceral-enhancing electric-driven high-performance technologies and relating post-purchase applications, know this:
We share your enthusiasm... and there's plenty more to come.

This is what "uncle tonie" have been ranting about. I think if these conversions ever become reasoanbly priced.... they would be absolutely fantastic for a Citroen DS ( very hard to repower any other way).

We may be forced down this road to address climate change anyway.

Hi :)
Well it was said on another site that these Ford electric motors were being offered for Hot Rodders that wanted to keep going into the electric future and would have a suitable powerful power train. Makes sense to me and Ford is hedging their bets for keeping the future aftermarket buyers. :rolleyes:
Note this motor is for front wheel drive with an axle output hole each end. So easy enough to make up some drive shafts for a classic. If only the French manufacturers had the wit to make their current electric equipment available for retro fitting. Hmm seems a way to ensure you might have a market to sell into in the years to come. A drum of diesel might be a weeks wages then o_O
Jaahn

I've been thinking about something like this for a while. Fortunately the car has a towbar, so I can tow a trailer with my Lister diesel genset in it.
Anyone know how much current the auxiliary pins on a Utilux 7-pin plug will carry?

I've been thinking about something like this for a while. Fortunately the car has a towbar, so I can tow a trailer with my Lister diesel genset in it.
Anyone know how much current the auxiliary pins on a Utilux 7-pin plug will carry?
Probably about 40A.
More than that, they might get a bit warm.

Those Ford motors are quite reasonably priced too. Unfortunately it may be a while before the price of the battery pack isn't the limiting factor.
It will also be good when someone develops an automated sound system that mimics engine and exhaust noise in the right places and with the right sounds.

Those Ford motors are quite reasonably priced too. Unfortunately it may be a while before the price of the battery pack isn't the limiting factor.
It will also be good when someone develops an automated sound system that mimics engine and exhaust noise in the right places and with the right sounds.
They are already doing that.... sort of.
I saw something the other day... was it Aston Martin? Have a team of sound engineers trying to make EV give a positive audio feedback to the driver.

Years back I was considering doing a full Electric conversion to a Fuego as it was ideally sized and has that timeless modern styling that would suit such a conversion. We had quite a thread going until someone pointed out the impossible regulations that Australia had imposed on such conversions and that it would not be a simple do it yourself backyard garage project, with a need for every step to be done and signed off by engineers, sort of crushed the project before it started.

Has some of those onerous regulations been relaxed now? or is it still an expensive pipe dream? That front wheel drive Ford unit looks made for the conversion. I don't have the time, energy to do it now but I know of a few Fuego's that might be available for such a project..:D

Yep this is going to be great, Re noise, we'll get over it, there are enough drive train bearings sounds in modern elec race cars to keep them sounding cool :D

It really is like the Jetsens!

Heaps of engine sound feedback as they climb in RPM,

Anyway, once the GM's VW, Nissan etc eventually get in on the crate engine conversions for their old fleet (if they do) it's going to be very cool.

That ford engine is ~90kg and gives you 200kw and 400nm.. That's better then most modern 4cyl turbo's, and you dont need all that ancient plumbing! :p

It's going to be cool.

Last edited:
Oh, don't know if you saw. That ford engine is 57 x 34 x 37cm. BOOM!

Years back I was considering doing a full Electric conversion to a Fuego as it was ideally sized and has that timeless modern styling that would suit such a conversion. We had quite a thread going until someone pointed out the impossible regulations that Australia had imposed on such conversions and that it would not be a simple do it yourself backyard garage project, with a need for every step to be done and signed off by engineers, sort of crushed the project before it started.

Has some of those onerous regulations been relaxed now? or is it still an expensive pipe dream? That front wheel drive Ford unit looks made for the conversion. I don't have the time, energy to do it now but I know of a few Fuego's that might be available for such a project..:D
In NSW the engineering inspection requirements have been privatised, and not too difficult to negotiate.
I've had major mods to 2 vehicles approved, for around $2k each.
Electrification would be similar.

I know of a few "backyard" EV conversions more than 15 years ago, both used deep cycle lead acid batteries. One of them has stopped here at my place to top up his charge so he could get home....... more than once.

I also have a Fuego that could be suitable, and a CX and a C35 ute.

heheh I've been watching that build too!

I don't know, that aftermarket Tesla motor is x2 as dear.. and it don't come with no factory warranty.

The significance of a large motor company making their current gen enegines avialable as crate, well tell me this quite a difference approach to how they have sold stuff in the past?