Do wish to electrify your classic Froggy ?

What's with the word "Crate"? I presumed when I first read it a few days ago in reference to the Ford electric motor conversion kit, that it referred to it being sold as a package.
Is crate going to be yet another word that is going to have its meaning changed by marketing people in the US?

What's with the word "Crate"? I presumed when I first read it a few days ago in reference to the Ford electric motor conversion kit, that it referred to it being sold as a package.
Is crate going to be yet another word that is going to have its meaning changed by marketing people in the US?
When I was young, working on a suburban milk run 4 days a week, a crate was the box that stuff came in.
Since then the "box" has been sought after and used for a variety of purposes, even reproduced and marketed as a product itself.
When I can buy a generic "boxed" EV power unit (in 50, 75 and 100kW options, and clockwise or anticlockwise rotation, with or without traction control and enhanced audio simulation) off the shelf at Supercheap, we'll know the market has matured.

Last edited:
Matured, that would be unheard of access! You can't exactly walk into Supercheap and buy an engine after all.

When I was young, Bob, if the word Crate was applied to a car, it had a similar slang meaning as "bomb".
If a car was a bomb, or a piece of junk, it could also be described as a crate. I also remember getting the free 1/3 pint of milk in the glass bottle, sitting in the sun where it was delivered, from the milk crate at morning playtime at primary school. The milk crates were wire then.

When I was young, Bob, if the word Crate was applied to a car, it had a similar slang meaning as "bomb".
If a car was a bomb, or a piece of junk, it could also be described as a crate. I also remember getting the free 1/3 pint of milk in the glass bottle, sitting in the sun where it was delivered, from the milk crate at morning playtime at primary school. The milk crates were wire then.
Crate or jalopy.

Our school had thickly insulated, fully enclosing canvas covers for the milk crates, which usually meant that the milk was still nice and cool.
I really enjoyed recess time, and would often sneak a second bottle.
Doing the milk run through my high school years, the boss reckoned that his profits always went down on the days that I helped him, 'cos i would drink so much during the 3 to 4 hours "run".
And a lot of it was running. I won the school cross-country a couple of times.
Powered by milk.

I'm holding out for switchable audio simulation. Just think of the options ...

2CV
DS
Lanz Bulldog
Stanley Steamer
Beyer Garratt
Benz V10 truck
Detroit 8V-92
Formula 1
Super Modified Tractor Pull
Supertanker
Saturn V

Roger

I'm holding out for switchable audio simulation. Just think of the options ...

2CV
DS
Lanz Bulldog
Stanley Steamer
Beyer Garratt
Benz V10 truck
Detroit 8V-92
Formula 1
Super Modified Tractor Pull
Supertanker
Saturn V

Roger

I dont get it - EVs sound awesome, why mess it up with ICE noises?

You forgot Briggs & Stratton, and Victa.
And what about the smell?
There's nothing quite like driving a 505 SRDT manual, with someone tailgating you, and flooring it without changing gears.

"If a car was a bomb, or a piece of junk, it could also be described as a crate."

During WW2 Australian commando force and sailors attacked Japanese held Singapore. They were undercover sailing in a run-down old fishing boat to get from Australia. The actual laying of the limpet mines was carried out from collapsible canoes.

The connection with this post is that the boat was named MV Krait.
Krait being the name of a poisonous sea-snake had a certain humour to it, but the pun on "crate" was surely the joke when they chose the name.

Operation Jaywick was the name of the mission. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jaywick )
Six ships were sunk in the harbour.
All crew returned safely to Exmouth unchallenged by Japanese patrols because of the old dunger in which they were sailing.

There was a good mini-series drama on TV about it, years ago.

You forgot Briggs & Stratton, and Victa.
And what about the smell?
There's nothing quite like driving a 505 SRDT manual, with someone tailgating you, and flooring it without changing gears.

Its better than being stuck behind an SRDT and slowly choking to death on the fumes..

I think Rogers suggestion of selectable custom audio would be fun!
Can you imagine a Lanz Bulldog approaching at 100km/hr.....
That would be scary.

You don’t need to be tailgating to be choking on those old diesel shit boxes
Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? They're fine when in good condition and serviced properly. It only blew smoke when I deliberately caused it.

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? They're fine when in good condition and serviced properly. It only blew smoke when I deliberately caused it.
No, all diesels are stinky piles of shit ;) Especially pre DPF things like old Pugs… Even if you can’t see the smoke, you can sure as shit smell the bloody things.

No, all diesels are stinky piles of shit ;) Especially pre DPF things like old Pugs… Even if you can’t see the smoke, you can sure as shit smell the bloody things.
Our pre dpf 2007 1.6T HDI C4 does not stink at all. I've followed it closely in my DS, no detectable fumes at all.
However, those rotten egg petrol stinkers, that lay down a trail as they try to accelerate past..... they are the worst.

Our pre dpf 2007 1.6T HDI C4 does not stink at all. I've followed it closely in my DS, no detectable fumes at all.
However, those rotten egg petrol stinkers, that lay down a trail as they try to accelerate past..... they are the worst.
Your nose may need recalibrating… I can smell a current DPF VW 100 metres back on the freeway.