Darlington Park Track Day

Might be ready for the next one of these. Engine out on Saturday. New one in ASAP.

Cal.

Cal,
I don't think Ken hand cut those Silverstones, although he does have equipment to do this.

Unfortunately my BMW has some problems, through it being 4years since I put the motor and gearbox together. Basically, I stuffed up and now have the gearbox out, and going through it.

There was some dyno tuning done. Showed the equivalent of 240 Hp @7000 and rising at the engine, comparing his chassis dyno to his engine dyno. A very good 2L sports sedan makes 280 on his engine dyno to make 160 on his chassis dyno. His chassis dyno must only measure Clydesdales.

No top end tuning was done. Only makes about 60 HP at the wheels at 4000. At this stage 8500 will be red line. Peak torque was at 6200 rpm. It's a revver, not a slugger. The pipes may too large and a little short.

It does not feel very fast on the road, as mostly you never get over 4500, as it is very noisy, and very yellow and tends to attract some attention. I will need to get the back guards massaged to accomodate the larger rear tyres, and the track width extension with the addition of the vented rear discs already fitted. Each addition always seems to bring in more problems to solve.

You'll get there Alan. Really looking forward to seeing it finished. You should think about doing the Top Gear race series at QR in that when it's ready. I did the 1st round the other week. Got creamed, but had a good time. Details are on their site under "Entry Forms" : http://www.queenslandraceway.com.au/ We ran all 4 configurations of the circuit, with 2 x 5 lap races on each.

Cal.

Many thanx to Candellan for the invite as it turned out to be a great day.
cheers again, jr20516v

Had a blast though I wish I checked my tyre pressures when they were cold. Candellan's organizing another track day out at Darlington in April so anyone who missed out this time can come along for that one. Good bunch of guys and they let you ride shotgun with other drivers (just have to sign on the form) so even coming out for a watch would be good... just bring a helmet. Took one of the twincam guys for a ride, "That was awesome!". :roflmao:

Big thanks to Candellan for the invite and I hope to see more froggies out there next time! Thanks again to JR for letting me ride shotgun, I'll have to repay the favor. :D

Rich

Glad to have you guys out there. It was good to see the Pugs vs Rollas, they were a good match. Sadly my Bluebird just wasn't up to the task. Next time I'll be in something a lot faster & more nimble.

The next event at Darlington Park has been booked for 29 May 2005. Same deal as last time. $165 for the arvo session (11:00am - 5:00pm). Sign up with Twincam.org to register interest & I'll organise it from there.

Sounds good Candellan !! Is it $82 odd for ppl that have been before?
cheers jr20516v

jr20516v said:
Sounds good Candellan !! Is it $82 odd for ppl that have been before?
cheers jr20516v
No it's $165 ea. The special price was a once off for people who came last October & 1/2 the track couldn't be used, so they offered those people a discount for the next event only.

Okey Dokey then,,,may give this one a miss. Starts to add up when one goes say twice in 3 months [$330 ]
Its a good day for sure but one has to watch the pennies, may try for another one at a later date.
cheers JR

Is this an open track day on the full circuit or must we sit through the seating position talk and BS like last time I was there?

Cal.

What is this seating position talk? Is that to discourage people from driving lying down, with one arm stretched out onto the wheel?

It's the full 3.8km track split in half with 2 sessions running on each 1/2. Then you swap tracks. For the final session they open up the whole track. As for seating position talks....there are none. There's a very basic talk just saying to keep a cool head but that's about it. It only goes for 5 mins then you're let loose. There are also instructors on hand all throughout the day.

Is there a limit to the number of cars the track at once? Last time I went we did a seating position talk for about 20mins, followed by some witches hats stuff to encourage people to look further ahead, then 3 cars at a time with instructors and blah blah. Great for people who have never been to the track before, but a pain for people who have been circuit driving or racing for years. Sounds like this is more of a track day than the driver training type thing I did. Now all I have to do is get the car finished.

Cal.

Cal said:
Is there a limit to the number of cars the track at once? Last time I went we did a seating position talk for about 20mins, followed by some witches hats stuff to encourage people to look further ahead, then 3 cars at a time with instructors and blah blah. Great for people who have never been to the track before, but a pain for people who have been circuit driving or racing for years. Sounds like this is more of a track day than the driver training type thing I did. Now all I have to do is get the car finished.

Cal.

Yah, I know what you're talking about, Cal. I went out to the last one of these and it's totally different to the driver training course. They pretty much let you go loose on the track. There's an instructor there for people who haven't been out on that track before to show you the lines, etc. There's no official timing though.

Rich

Sounds good. Exxy but I'll probably go if the car is ready. Bloody car better be ready...it was supposed to be ready this weekend.

Cal.

Yep. There's no real lectures aside from a basic safety talk for 5 mins then you're let loose. It's not a driver training course as such just a track day. There will be up to 10 cars on each track for teh first 2 sessions & whoever is left for the final full track run split into appropriate groups. Last time we found everyone & their cars had had enough by about 4:00pm so we didn't bother opening up the whole track. This time I'm sure people will have prepared better & will be able to go all afternoon. It is quite busy & tiring if it's a hot day, or maybe I'm just a worn out old fart.

I'm trying to organise some timing but it's not going to be QR accurate. Just a couple of laptops & timing software that's triggered manually each lap by the operator.

Come on Cal I want to see that beast in action. My S12 is still in bits, but I'm making a huge effort to get it finished in time.