Damn C5

Pierre anthony

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Got everything in and working, now the pump won't stop. Going to check the under-dash fuses this weekend and see if the problem is there.

Dear me LHS, LHM, LDS - it's all too much for my brain to hold.

Cheers, Ken

Dear me LHS, LHM, LDS - it's all too much for my brain to hold.

Cheers, Ken
LHM is Mineral oil.LHS is Synthetic as is LDS. LDS is recommended by Mercedes, Rolls Royce, BMW, I use LDS in my C5, it's green like LHM which confused George at Paris motors when he replaced my R/H front suspension bushes, he told me that I was using LHM. Some mechanics should check their information before arguing with a potential customer. He lost me.

He may have been confused as LDS is supposed to be orange. It depends how closely the manufacturer's stick to the Citroen specification or if they are trying to appeal to a broader customer base by changing the colour to match another manufacturer's specification.

LHM is Mineral oil.LHS is Synthetic as is LDS. LDS is recommended by Mercedes, Rolls Royce, BMW, I use LDS in my C5, it's green like LHM which confused George at Paris motors when he replaced my R/H front suspension bushes, he told me that I was using LHM. Some mechanics should check their information before arguing with a potential customer. He lost me.
Without prior knowledge of your use of a different fluid in the C5, it was prudent & appropriate for George to point out the suspected wrong oil. If it had in fact been LHM, & it had caused damage, he would have been legally liable for not warning you.

How’s that working out for you your car is still stuffed but yet your the expert 😂

Without prior knowledge of your use of a different fluid in the C5, it was prudent & appropriate for George to point out the suspected wrong oil. If it had in fact been LHM, & it had caused damage, he would have been legally liable for not warning you.
I see your point but he didn't have to argue about it. When I got home I checked the bottle again and it is green. LDAS is orange but that is a power steering fluid. I rang Penrite and asked them if there is any difference in the fluid specs before I started using it. They recommended using LDS. When my mum had her 1975 DS21 it a hydraulic line ruptured on the way to Brisbane. It was rubbing on a cross-member. After a very kind country mechanic came to our rescue I had to fill the hydraulic tank with automatic transmission fluid, because there was no LHM available anywhere nearby, which I continued to use for another 10 yrs at which point we sold it. I never had any problems with any of the seals and every 12 months I changed the fluid.

Last edited:
Penrite LDAS is a weird creation. It claims to be a replacement for LDS and LHM type fluids but is coloured green and specifically states that it is not suitable for use in mineral oil (LHM) systems. It does however meet the PSA specification for LDS.

1611114108419.png

LDS was coloured orange to avoid exactly the problem you had. Paris Motors are well aware of the problems that can come from using the wrong fluid and it becomes a warranty problem for them.

Back to your original problem. Seeing as the obvious problems have been exhausted, you need to find someone with the appropriate diagnostic equipment to interface with the car's computer. It may be expensive but a trip to Bayside Citroen might not be a bad idea. Just be prepared for the same discussion about fluids

A few months ago I did a bit of a search about LDS..... and after reading several product tech sheets from a variety of manufacturers/repackagers/snake oil merchants, I came to the conclusion that a large portion of its composition is in fact mineral oil. Yes its purified, and added to but still mineral in origin.
I do not doubt the possibility of a fluid that is a satisfactory replacement for both LHM and LDS.

Just exploring some aspects of fluid chemistry..... from an armchair position, possibly with tongue towards cheek.

Obviously if one is going to create "synthetic" material, one must start with some matter found in nature.
What may be a bit variable, is where in the long line of chemical processes imposed on that natural matter , does the term animal, vegetable or mineral get dropped in favour of the sexy marketing term of "synthetic"?
It might be like the foodstuff marketing term of "organic".
We know from highschool chemistry that the term "organic" refers to the carbon and hydrogen based chemistry of life on earth.
The hijacking of the "organic" term for the sexy marketing of disease ridden garden produce, has almost completely obscured the original and correct meaning.
Indeed most of the chemicals found in mineral oil are organic.

So......in relation to oils and similar fluids, can anyone explain where mineral ends and "synthetic" takes over?