D Special headlight assembly

I guess I'm only joking up to a point.
Because... I haven't got one of those in decent condition, but if anyone got around to actually having one scanned, and uploaded the .stl file, we could all have them printed cheap.

I mean, well, they do seem to fail a lot, and you can't friqqin' find them...

I'm sure they are available, but like you I haven't been able to find them :confused:

I've got a few stashed somewhere, and we have our resident 3D Printerman Scotfrog so I'll make contact and see what can be done.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/111105-dee-plastic-bits-9.html

Othello in Switzerland is right into reproducing plastic parts for the D but doesn't appear to have these as yet
FABRICATION DE PETITES PIECES PLASTIQUES EN 3D. | Citrothello

Cheers
Chris

I'm sure they are available, but like you I haven't been able to find them :confused:

Yes, well, :confused: is just how I feel too.

I've got a few stashed somewhere,

Have one scanned! :wink2:

and we have our resident 3D Printerman Scotfrog so I'll make contact and see what can be done.

Keep in mind that nylon filament is as cheap as any, but it needs a slightly "hotter" printer than most...
But really, if we could have a .stl file for it... I can find nylon printing services in the area, so I guess everybody can too.

Yes, well, :confused: is just how I feel too.

Have one scanned! :wink2:

Keep in mind that nylon filament is as cheap as any, but it needs a slightly "hotter" printer than most...
But really, if we could have a .stl file for it... I can find nylon printing services in the area, so I guess everybody can too.

Nothing is as simple as it first appears, there are two parts. . .

attachment.php

The part you seek is fitted to the bracket on the light rim and held in place by the second part.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That second part could be substituted with a squirt of silicone. . .

I'll get in touch with Scotfrog who may be willing to scan the part you need and send you an .stl.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• D Light clip3.jpg
    D Light clip3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 569
  • D Light clip2.jpg
    D Light clip2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 561
  • D Light clip.jpg
    D Light clip.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 559
Actually nylon is one of the most commonly used 3D-printing materials.
Cheap too. :2cents:
https://www.3dhubs.com/san-diego ;·)
If you click Nylon under "Which material should I use?" you should find quite a few.
I can also find a lot of 3D scanning services there.
Have you got one to scan? :tongue:

That Citroen Classics site looks good. Again those bits don't seem to be in the catalog, but I'll ask. Thanks.
Pity about the eur-gbp exchange rate at the moment...

Printerman here.

I'll undertake to model these parts. I won't be able to start till early next week and hopefully the ones in my DS are good enough to throw a ruler over. (Better than 3D scanning since I can correct my data to take account of any irregularities caused by wear). I'll post a link to the STL file once I've finished. Just download and take to your printer bureau. If someone has a new unadulterated part which they can loan me then the result will be better.

And yes, nylon is becoming more generally available.

SF.

Nothing is as simple as it first appears, there are two parts. . .

attachment.php

The part you seek is fitted to the bracket on the light rim and held in place by the second part.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That second part could be substituted with a squirt of silicone. . .

I'll get in touch with Scotfrog who may be willing to scan the part you need and send you an .stl.

Cheers
Chris

We must have crossed in the mail.

Actually looking at the photos you posted Chris this part could be easily reproduced on a lathe. When I model it I'll also convert to a dimensioned drawing for those who want to go down that path. Thinking further it might be worth while approaching a shop with a repetition lathe and getting a bulk price.

SF

Chris, Could you post one of these parts to me? If I get it this week it will only take an hour or so and I can express post it back to you more or less same day.

SF

Chris, Could you post one of these parts to me? If I get it this week it will only take an hour or so and I can express post it back to you more or less same day.

SF

Done deal, I'll post in the morning and include a screw adjustment rod for an accurate measure of the internal shape.

Cheers
Chris

Surely there must be quite a few if not a s!@t load of main biode headlights that have been scrapped due to faded/corroded reflectors that some nylon retainers may be salvaged.

JAJEA

Surely there must be quite a few if not a s!@t load of main biode headlights that have been scrapped due to faded/corroded reflectors that some nylon retainers may be salvaged.

JAJEA

True!! But after 40 years they're probably brittle, cracked and breaking up - more so when you try and retrieve them as I just did on an old headlight. Don B. Cilly will need 6 good ones. May as well use the technology and resources we have here to produce new. . .

Cheers
Chris

Sample posted to Scotfrog today (express post at great expense to the management) :cry: :D

Hang in there Captain soon you'll be able to corner the market :tongue:

How's your knobs :eek:
Citroen DS Headlight Adjustment Knob by chickenchuck040 - Thingiverse

. . .and your bendy thing

Citroen DS headlight adjustment block by citrofan - Thingiverse

Cheers
Chris

I actually need a bendy thing. My knobs OK, doesn't get a lot of use so could last for while longer. :rolleyes:

That flexible polyester material is quite good and possibly would outlast the original material. I thought about printing a negative (mould) and casting in silicone. Would last for the duration.
My bendy thing at present is a carved Staedtler eraser (no ribald rubber jokes please). Such an easy model too. I might have to add this to the collection.
I think it was you Chris who suggested that Aussiefrogs might host a Dropbox folder into which this data could be loaded for access to forum members. Could be useful.

SF.

I actually need a bendy thing. My knobs OK, doesn't get a lot of use so could last for while longer. :rolleyes:

That flexible polyester material is quite good and possibly would outlast the original material. I thought about printing a negative (mould) and casting in silicone. Would last for the duration.
My bendy thing at present is a carved Staedtler eraser (no ribald rubber jokes please). Such an easy model too. I might have to add this to the collection.
I think it was you Chris who suggested that Aussiefrogs might host a Dropbox folder into which this data could be loaded for access to forum members. Could be useful.

SF.

Well my knobs are a little dirty and won't clean up, if you are happy to run a set in a nice white I could be persuaded to part with more hard earned. . . I've new bendy things so no need there.

I'll set up a dropbox for aussiefrogs files :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Tee hee. Cool.
Knobs look ok and I bought the bendies a little while ago, but it's great someone is putting that stuff out there.

Got your parts Chris,
The images attached are my first pass look at the parts. I'm intrigued as to why Don B. Cilly's part has a 3 cut feature and your is 2 cut. I suspect the 3 cut is original and the 2 cut after-market. I modelled both in case as you'll see in the second image. You will also notice that after assembly and using the dimensions of the parts in my hand the tip of the rod can 'float' inside the smaller plastic part. I think it is designed to be embedded into the soft backing piece to restrict float. If I'm right I bet Don B. Cilly's part allows this to happen. I'll check mine at the weekend to see what's there.

If anybody wants the 3D as an STL file for printing send me a PM with your email address and I'll send. (Usually biggish files). This will work until we get a Dropbox folder running.20150617_SnapAssy.JPG20150617_SnapAssy2.JPG

SF

Got your parts Chris,
The images attached are my first pass look at the parts. I'm intrigued as to why Don B. Cilly's part has a 3 cut feature and your is 2 cut. I suspect the 3 cut is original and the 2 cut after-market. I modelled both in case as you'll see in the second image. You will also notice that after assembly and using the dimensions of the parts in my hand the tip of the rod can 'float' inside the smaller plastic part. I think it is designed to be embedded into the soft backing piece to restrict float. If I'm right I bet Don B. Cilly's part allows this to happen. I'll check mine at the weekend to see what's there.

If anybody wants the 3D as an STL file for printing send me a PM with your email address and I'll send. (Usually biggish files). This will work until we get a Dropbox folder running.View attachment 70852View attachment 70853

SF

That is truly amazing, I suspect you are correct the new part would be a repro, the idea of the two way/ three way split is to allow the adjusting screw to clip into the hole. The two way split is possibly better in that the adjusting screw should be held more firmly?

If you are happy with what you have you can email the file to me and I'll host in my dropbox until we organise something more permanent. I'll then make a folder available to those in need.
greenblood(at)aussiefrogs.com

Thanks muchly, fantastic!!

Cheers
Chris

So I got the files from SF. Thanks again.
Opened them with something called Blender, which looks like an impressive piece of open-source software.
I got a quote from a local (3 km away) printer shop who say they can print nylon and soft materials for about €2 a pop, that size.
Only thing, the "engineer" who does the stuff is away until the end of the month. Oh well.

I'm thinking of printing both versions of the clip, just to see.
The three-pronged... three-fanged... well, the one with three cuts, is it a personal SF improvement?
Might well work better than the two-cut.
Soon as I can get them printed, I'll test and report.

[EDIT] I wouldn't call them "biggish" files. Not in this day and age.
The clips are less than 200 KB and the support is 35 KB (small even by 1980s standards).

Last edited:
So I got the files from SF. Thanks again.
Opened them with something called Blender, which looks like an impressive piece of open-source software.
I got a quote from a local (3 km away) printer shop who say they can print nylon and soft materials for about €2 a pop, that size.
Only thing, the "engineer" who does the stuff is away until the end of the month. Oh well.

I'm thinking of printing both versions of the clip, just to see.
The three-pronged... three-fanged... well, the one with three cuts, is it a personal SF improvement?
Might well work better than the two-cut.
Soon as I can get them printed, I'll test and report.

[EDIT] I wouldn't call them "biggish" files. Not in this day and age.
The clips are less than 200 KB and the support is 35 KB (small even by 1980s standards).

Price is about what you'd expect and would be cheaper in bulk.
These files are small but it doesn't take much complex geometry to sudden;y increase file size.
The three fanged version is actually based on the photo from your post. It's DonB.Cilly_Clip-a.JPGinteresting too that in this photo the face towards the camera looks dished as if to help with the clip insertion whereas the one from Chris was flat faced. I tried printing one but our machine cannot handle the resolution or the material, (lookalike only). If I'm not mistaken your photo also makes the part look like the hole is a blind hole, i.e. does not go right through the part whereas Chris's does. I wonder if there's a drawing in original Citroen documentation which would indicate the correct version.

Greenblood has initiated a Dropbox folder so I'll be dumping files there as they become available. Caveat: At present the fles are largely 'unproven'!

Greenblood also suggested a good idea that we incorporate a look up table with original Citroen parts catalogue numbers referencing what these files are called. This table would incorporate colour code and material specs.

Some of these parts may in fact still be available over the counter but I don't think the exercise is wasted since 3D printing will, if not already be cheaper than what is available.

SF