Cycle project

Well I found out if you energise the system before wheeling the trike around out of the shed, you should be careful not to twist the throttle.🙄
I had it pointing skyward like an Apollo rocket in no time flat.😁

I did find out you can connect 4 x 12V solar panels in series to create a 48V charge, so I'm thinking of going that route. I can get four 40W 12V panels (delivered) for under $100.
Greenpeace, you can connect up the four panels to the batteries individually as you said. However what about a regulator ? you do usually want to stop charging before the batteries cook themselves at the max panel voltage of 20+v. Also the regulator has a disconnect function to stop the current reversing under no sun conditions and the battery being discharged through the panel. This could be done with a diode for each one.
Jaahn

Greenpeace, you can connect up the four panels to the batteries individually as you said. However what about a regulator ? you do usually want to stop charging before the batteries cook themselves at the max panel voltage of 20+v. Also the regulator has a disconnect function to stop the current reversing under no sun conditions and the battery being discharged through the panel. This could be done with a diode for each one.
Jaahn
Yes, the solar panels I was looking at had a battery management function built in. They would be fine connected 1 on 1, not sure what would happen connected in series at 48V though.🤷‍♂️