Cycle project

Well I had a look at my speedo's memory and my trip's average speed this morning was 35.7kph.
That included stopping for the photo shoot with Ned Kelly, and stopping to put it in 2nd gear when the under voltage cut-out triggered in top.
I'm thinking without the stops the average would have been nearer 40kph.
That's pretty much the average speed for the Tour de France winners.
Would I be eligible to enter or would my bike be classed as performance enhancing?😁

Now I'm thinking I could have a bit of fun on the weekends, cos there are a lot of lycra clad cyclists that use the back roads around here.

I could overtake (just turning the pedals slowly), tip me helmet and say "morning" as I trundle past.🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: cjl
I suppose it's always been in the car maker's interests to make the speedos a bit optimistic regardless of ADRS - after all having people brag about doing 100mph never hurt salesl
Now I'm wondering what else may be programmed in the car maker's best interest.🤔

Pre 2006 the odometer had to be accurate to within 4%. This requirement was dropped post 2006.
Now if the speedo is reading 10% fast (and the odometer is set up the same) your fuel economy will appear to be 10% better than it really is and your service intervals will come up 10 % "sooner".

Who would benefit in that scenario?🤔

People bragging about good fuel consumption definately won't hurt sales.
The workshop's service revenue just increased by 10%.🤷‍♂️

Now I'm wondering what else may be programmed in the car maker's best interest.🤔

Pre 2006 the odometer had to be accurate to within 4%. This requirement was dropped post 2006.
Now if the speedo is reading 10% fast (and the odometer is set up the same) your fuel economy will appear to be 10% better than it really is and your service intervals will come up 10 % "sooner".

Who would benefit in that scenario?🤔

People bragging about good fuel consumption definately won't hurt sales.
The workshop's service revenue just increased by 10%.🤷‍♂️

There is a very good way to work out how fast or slow your speedo is, and those who practice navigation in rallies and trials have the knowledge. There are still kilometer posts along our highways and byways and they are actually measured. If your speedo reads over or under a 10km posted stretch of highway between posts there is a 99% chance that your odometer is not reading correctly. :cool:

There is a very good way to work out how fast or slow your speedo is, and those who practice navigation in rallies and trials have the knowledge. There are still kilometer posts along our highways and byways and they are actually measured. If your speedo reads over or under a 10km posted stretch of highway between posts there is a 99% chance that your odometer is not reading correctly. :cool:
Yes I used to rely on the same checks with the old analog speedos (before GPS came to the masses).
I have a feeling with digital gauges however, that the manufacturer could program a % of error into the odometer, that is different to the % of error programmed into the speedometer.🤷‍♂️

Greenpeace you totally need this dog mover..

Tempting, but it only has a 50kg load rating.😉
Bonnie is 63kg and Clyde is 71kg.
Probably should make them pull me around.

This was on their 1st birthday, Mrs Greenpeace was having a rest from gardening and Clyde thought he was a lap dog. The cries for "help, and "get him off" came shortly after.🤣

Resized_20200827_114110.jpeg

Can anyone riddle me this?
If I were to get four 12V solar panels and connect each one to two batteries connected in parallel, would they successfully charge the battery pack without changing the main "in series" wiring? I'm inclined to think they will because if I test each battery individually with the "in series" wiring connected they still test at 13.0-13.2V each.
Secondly if were to do that, (connect solar panels) could discharging the batteries, while the solar panels are connected, damage the panels in any way?
I'm sort of thinking if I build a little tray on the back to hide the electronics I can fit 4 x 40W 12V panels on the lid.
If my math is correct that would be 3.3 amps of charge?

Well I found out if you energise the system before wheeling the trike around out of the shed, you should be careful not to twist the throttle.🙄
I had it pointing skyward like an Apollo rocket in no time flat.😁

I did find out you can connect 4 x 12V solar panels in series to create a 48V charge, so I'm thinking of going that route. I can get four 40W 12V panels (delivered) for under $100.

Hmm good thinking with the solar panels, park it in the sun when not in use, perfect.

I haven't ridden the trike for a few weeks so I took the old girl for a spin again today.
It's as entertaining as ever at speed, yeehaaa!🤠

I went looking for suitable roads to try and break my PB Vmax. Found a nice straiģht "road to nowhere", but trouble is time I get there the batteries are half flat. Or should I say they are only half full?🤔

I haven't forgotten about the bodywork, I got a little distracted by the Carry van I've bought, and had to do a bit of work on both Citroens and fitted dual batteries to the F100 ambulance.
Plus I've been going to my real job in my spare time.😉

Resized_20220717_133308.jpeg
Resized_20220717_133427.jpeg

I've got three 3 wheelers at the moment, but I don't have one like this!!!
I wonder what it would handle like at 70kph?🤔

I've got three 3 wheelers at the moment, but I don't have one like this!!!
I wonder what it would handle like at 70kph?🤔

I don't know, but the front locker could hide one almighty powerplant.

At 70kph.😁
I wonder what the wind rating on the brolly is?🤔

I think it would turn into an ensign long before 70 kph was reached.

I don't know, but the front locker could hide one almighty powerplant.
Just what I was thinking!
Looks like it has a little hub motor in the back wheel at present. I'd say it's only maybe 250W going by the size of it.🤷‍♂️
I've found a 1500W rear wheel kit for just over $300. The child in me is thinking there's no reason the front wheels couldn't have hub motors as well. How to synchronise the 3 wheel speeds, mmm?🤔 4500W makes perfect sense the more I think about it, especially with the AWD safety aspect.👍
It looks like it has independent front brakes, so turning brakes as well. It's sounding more and more like "why wouldn't I do it" rather than "why shouldn't I do it".😎
I'll have to sleep on it. I can only see one real obstacle to the plan at this stage, so I may have to detour past the florists after work tomorrow.😉
I think it would turn into an ensign long before 70 kph was reached.
Yes probably best to fold it down when planning on a high speed run.🤷‍♂️

Well just for the record, saying:
"Do you feel like there's a rickshaw sized hole in your life"? isn't the best conversation starter with the fairer sex.🙄