Colorale 1953 Pick-up 85 (R2091)

Hi :)
Great looking cars ! For the information of those of us who are ignorant, what is the difference between the Colorale and the Prairie. Are they a different model or variations or following on from's. ;)
I guess one way to preserve the patina is to just put on a clear coat, after suitable preparation. There are a couple of oldies around here like that. The guy down the road has an early beetle like that. It has a couple of pop rivetted pieces on some external spots too. (y)
Jaahn

The Colorale was the model name. There were various types, including the Pick-up that started this thread, the Prairie, (a 5-door version), the Savanne with fewer doors, and others. They also offered 4WD (see photo below). If Wikipedia is to be believed, they made 43,000 of them. Early ones had the prewar side-valve engine, later ones the more powerful OHV engine from the Fregate but still they'd have been slugs I suspect.

Colorales sml.png

Last edited:
wow, I remember seeing the panel van at Grand Display last year. Interesting seeing they made a 4wd version. I wonder who did the conversion. Looks prior to Dangel

I'm sure I've seen one somewhere....

I also realise I mis-spelled Savane!! Poor. :(
From what I have been able to find out these cast plaques on the tailgate were only fitted to the Pick-up and Savane models and both of these models were only produced from 1950 through to 1953 so they will be very rare. The plaque actually measure 655mm long and 120mm wide so you would easily know what was slowing you travels down when you came up behind one :confused:.

Search of Google Images reveals quite a number of 4x4 versions. Link below for your viewing pleasure

It was well ahead of its time in several ways. Needed a 3 litre engine though. One of my own photos comes up with that Google search!!
From what I have been able to find out these cast plaques on the tailgate were only fitted to the Pick-up and Savane models and both of these models were only produced from 1950 through to 1953 so they will be very rare. The plaque actually measure 655mm long and 120mm wide so you would easily know what was slowing you travels down when you came up behind one :confused:.
It's very much the pre-war style of plaque. I imagine almost anyone in any car would have come up behind one....

was anyone else wondering how effective the interior rear view mirror would be, with that metal section between the rear windows on the ute ,

Search of Google Images reveals quite a number of 4x4 versions. Link below for your viewing pleasure
Hmm interesting :) but this one looks like an outlier ??
Good worker though with two tracked carriers on the first trailer and a tank on the second trailer. Perhaps the word 'CORORALE' means something in French ? Michelin might have designed this rig ;) Jaahn
RENAULT COLORALE 4X4 PICKUP COLONIAL

1591666013373.png

Jaahn

Last edited:
That's a famous truck. It's in a museum somewhere but I can't quite remember where. A big Berliet? What a GREAT photo.

Note the minaret in the background - Algeria or Tunisia perhaps....

Some 1950s lights wanted.
The discussion on the bits and pieces on the Colorale has prompted me to see if I can source a few bits I don't have, not that I'm anywhere near ready for them.
I am after:
1. pair of tail lights.
I do have a Left one that should be repairable so just a RHS one would do. These may be the same as on other Renaults and possibly some of the Peugeot 203s?

2. pair of side/turn lights.
These I believe are the same as the ones on the 4CV and in the Colorale Pick-ups were fitted just behind the door on the pillar.

With regard to the rear vision mirror discussion - my Pick-up and the spare car do not have these fitted, for obvious reasons. There are some pictures of Pick-ups that show a central window but chances are these are Savane or a Fourgon that have been chopped. That may also explain why some photos of "Pick-ups" don't have the large plaque on the tailgate. All tailgates were the same shape on all models.

Of interest also is that the two rear cabin windows slide open and the trim around them on the outside is made from wood, as is the protection on the bottom of the fuel tank i.e. a matting of wood strips. These are all full of borers so will need to be replaced.

Colorale tail light.jpg
1950s turn light.jpg
Colorale Pick-up turn light.jpg

Grantee.

ebay fr is your friend but you will need deep pockets by the looks..

Thats a LHS one so definitely worth fixing the one I have.
Merci.

I'd be interested to know how many ute versions were produced and how many are still on the road worldwide, I'll do some searching.

Post scriptum: Actually according to a reliable source the numbers appear to be 80 RHD R2091s were made in 1951 and about 9 of the R2093 RHD in 1952 & 1954.

Last edited:
It seems that the Colorale had the ubiquitous flat windscreen too which is a pity cos I am still trying to unload a stash of Fregate windscreens.

Last edited: