Citroen C5 X7 intermitant errors

bmw535guy

Fellow Frogger
Hello Ladies and Germs,
I have a VERY interesting one happening with my citroen 2009 c5 and im confused as all hell, so here is a low down maybe somebody knows where i could start :)
After about a year of owning the car i started to get random beeps followd by messages on my dash ranging from "faulty handbrake" or "faulty dpf" or "low oil pressure" etc etc and followed by "faulty transmission" or sometimes that comes before the others and sometimes it locks up into 3rd gear or sometimes witches the engine off. Now i have lexia and have read the codes and the system shows these errors occured one after the other BUT i suspect its a central component intermitantly playing up due to the different natures of the errors and they follow one another which is impossible unless a central component does this. I fixed this problem before by replacing the battery with a high end Varta battery thats rated at 750cca which 100cca higher then required and it didnt play up till around 8mths to a year latter. Now ive got it happening at random times in random orders. Im not sure where to start, anybody else experienced such issues?
Cheers in advance,
Chris

Could be a fault with the fuse box which on early C5 X7s had an issue with the associated wiring harness being short. This threw up random errors. Citroen were replacing under warranty or recall - has yours been done? Google C5 x7 Fuse box and see if that sheds some light:

Last edited:
You could consider paying a dealer to completely reload the firmware if you can't find a physical fault.

mines definately an early one, and i cannot find any reference to the fuse box being replaced in the books

You could consider paying a dealer to completely reload the firmware if you can't find a physical fault.
reload firmware? hrm but do they corrupt themselves? or is it a case of dry solder etc? what sort of dollars should they charge? where is there a competent dealer in melbourne?

I had a car with inexplicable problems - a nonexistent engine limp mode fault that came back over and over. I changed all sorts of things before realising it was bunkum. I eventually got a dealer to reload the computer software. Problem solved.

Our C5 X7 had a fault under warranty that would light the whole dash like a christmas tree, bring on the Service light and put the auto trans into limp mode 3rd gear. We even managed to get it to the dealer with all the lights on once - the Service Manager was very impressed and suggested we leave the car with him. There was one error code that indicated that it was the engine fusebox causing the issue. Once this was replaced, no further issue.

Cheers, Ken W

It's the engine slave unit (fusebox in engine bay) that you should suspect. Not the BSI, which is the other 'fusebox' inside the car. The problem was to do with a supply relay that could become intermittent.

Hi Chris,

Not sure if you are going to look for a second hand fuse box, or new, but i can order a new factory fuse box for about half the dealer price.

Just need you vin # and I can give you an exact cost.

Can also give you some places to try for a used box if you want as well?

Best regards,

Greg

Hi Chris,

Not sure if you are going to look for a second hand fuse box, or new, but i can order a new factory fuse box for about half the dealer price.

Just need you vin # and I can give you an exact cost.

Can also give you some places to try for a used box if you want as well?

Best regards,

Greg
sweet ill get the vin tonight mate :) thanks so much Greg :)
can you get other parts? my electric hand brake started playing up and i need the wiring going to my centre brake light and i need new inside door handles for the front seats as the coating has worn off and looks shite

Yes can get anything.............

I think from memory, the door pull embellishers are around $70.00. Don't use armour all on them, the silicon destroys the soft touch.

To get accurate prices, send me your vin# I only need the last 8 digits / numbers

Best regards,

Greg

I think from memory, the door pull embellishers are around $70.00. Don't use armour all on them, the silicon destroys the soft touch.

To get accurate prices, send me your vin# I only need the last 8 digits / numbers

Best regards,

Greg
ill private message you then vin number mate, i think you in advance :)

I had some similar, but different probs with my 2005 2.2HDI.
Mainly went into self-defence mode.
(C5s are prone to fuse box issues ...had bad ones with the 2004).

Got better .. I thought...with a new battery. But not 100%.

I also thought is was a bad earth or a fuse box issue.
Maybe it is.

Here's an interesting thing.
Over certain jerky uphill bumps the problem re-occurred (once).

My solution?
A jerky downhill bump.

Fixed. :eek:

I had some similar, but different probs with my 2005 2.2HDI.
Mainly went into self-defence mode.
(C5s are prone to fuse box issues ...had bad ones with the 2004).

Got better .. I thought...with a new battery. But not 100%.

I also thought is was a bad earth or a fuse box issue.
Maybe it is.

Here's an interesting thing.
Over certain jerky uphill bumps the problem re-occurred (once).

My solution?
A jerky downhill bump.

Fixed. :eek:
I ordered a fuse box off Greg and fingers crossed i wont be looking at my big hammer ;) just kidding, i love my c5 :) BTW always loved the cx2500........how are they to live with?

C5 2010 Door Pull embellishers

I'm interested in a set of front doorpull embellishers. I assume you mean the silver strip that runs along the doorpulls on C5s with the grey/beige interiors. The last 8 digits of the Vin are AAL550373. Interested in total cost shipped to me in Margaret River WA. Is there any way new ones can be protected other than not touching them at all? Are they easy/difficult to remove and replace?

Allen

Interested in the door pull embellishes. My 2010 C5's last 8 digits of the Vin are AAL550373. Are they easy to remove and replace, assuming they are available?

Allen

sincerely hoping he won't mind me doing this - you could have found it anyway - posted some weeks back
doublechevron@bigpond.com

I ordered a fuse box off Greg and fingers crossed i wont be looking at my big hammer ;) just kidding, i love my c5 :) BTW always loved the cx2500........how are they to live with?

I'm having a blossoming love affair with the GTi25. It needed spheres and an a muffler, and still has a few more fix-ups to be done. Mine is an auto, with pretty good bodywork. I do reckon the 2500 cars are generally better than the early series. And I also think the CX is a true classic that hopefully will gather respect momentum. The DS is wonderful, but more old school, a CX is a *modern* vehicle. Recommended.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Hi Guys,

The soft touch is a problem for a lot of manufacturers, not just Citroen, though its disappointing that it deteriorates so badly. Our heat doesn't help. Silicon sprays are the worst offender, as are rings (especially big ones). Keys etc in the centre console are a problem as well.

Your best bet is as you suggested, don't touch them.

The light coloured interior is the worst offender, as the dark grey interior doesn't have the soft feel around the inner parts of the console, it's a metallic black gloss finish, and the embellishers on the door trims are the same.

Best regards,

Greg