Citroen C4 VTS rear hubs

GRAHAM WALLIS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've just bought a C4 VTS in excellent condition. It does need a rear wheel bearing though. The car has the bearings built into the disc but I bought a hub without disc which looks like it would go onto a 306. Doesn't have an ABS ring but was listed (and the number WBH 1291 confirms this) as for the VTS with ABS. Any ideas?

My R25 had same issue, worked out how to get them out, can't remember how at moment
Maybe later, I am an old bloke :)

I have changed rear pads and discs on a C4 and a DS3. I used the included bearing type. Got them from EAI. What is the problem?

I have changed rear pads and discs on a C4 and a DS3. I used the included bearing type. What is the problem?
Trying to find them and preferably here. Found some slotted ones here but they seem to be just the disc, I could say just fit them to the hub I was sent but no ABS ring even though it was supposed to be ABS. I've the local supplier my rego number, maybe they will be able to come up with something. Might look at fitting 306 discs and hubs tomorrow.

Have a look at the Run Autoparts website. I don't know anything about them, but they seem to have discs. EAI stocked the ones I used.

eg

Run autoparts had them, thanks for that. Helps to have a photo of the actual items as they did.

I've just bought a C4 VTS in excellent condition. It does need a rear wheel bearing though. The car has the bearings built into the disc but I bought a hub without disc which looks like it would go onto a 306. Doesn't have an ABS ring but was listed (and the number WBH 1291 confirms this) as for the VTS with ABS. Any ideas?
Hi Graham sounds like you have this sorted. A comment on ABS rings ! Citroen and other makes did move from ABS rings to bearings that have magnetic poles in the bearing seals. So that may be the confusion.
The ABS wheel sensor will be different and the bearing will need to be installed with the correct side facing facing the sensor. AHHH the march of ever cheaper technology. :rolleyes: ;)
I guess it shows that you must supply the vin for checking on a parts website to be sure these days.
Jaahn

Hi Graham sounds like you have this sorted. A comment on ABS rings ! Citroen and other makes did move from ABS rings to bearings that have magnetic poles in the bearing seals. So that may be the confusion.
The ABS wheel sensor will be different and the bearing will need to be installed with the correct side facing facing the sensor. AHHH the march of ever cheaper technology. :rolleyes: ;)
I guess it shows that you must supply the vin for checking on a parts website to be sure these days.
Jaahn
Thanks Jaahn, that may partly explain it. Just a hub though, I checked it this morning and it seems a perfect fit for 306/205/309 so will keep it as a spare for my 309 rally car. The disc/hub units from Run auto were $344 a pair, SKF, which seems reasonable for what you get.

The hub you got may use a separate 'ABS Radial Target' - item5 below.
The original TRW/LUCAS/BOSCH hub for your VTS depends on whether it has ABS/ESP 8.0 or 8.1, the build date and also the factory 77, 88 or UW.

1709946559828.png

It's all a bit confusing. These are the new rear bearings I purchased for my 205.

Attachments

• 205 Rear Bearings 2.jpg
    205 Rear Bearings 2.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 205 Rear Bearings 1.jpg
    205 Rear Bearings 1.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 34
306 GTi 6 with ABS ring on the right. So called C4 one on the left, yes there is a flat surface for the seperate ring but doesn't look like the GTi 6 one will fit there. Looks very much like both will fit the 306 or 205 though. My C4 has the disc and hub in one piece though, haven't removed the present one yet to see how the ABS ring is mounted.

IMG_0886.JPG

The ones I bought, on my second try, listed as being for VTS 2004 to 2009, if it's not to this description they should accept returns.
vkbd1012_1_1.jpg

one piece or separate depends on whether it has ABS/ESP 8.0 or 8.1, the build date and also the factory 77, 88 or UW

Use the full RPO date+factory number on your door pillar and this shortened link to parts catalogue.
https://tinyurl.com/44wxbta9

View attachment 238015
Nothing on the door pillar, Australian plate in the spare wheel area. This behind the windscreen UF7LARFKC74259957

Nothing on the door pillar, Australian plate in the spare wheel area. This behind the windscreen UF7LARFKC74259957
Is there a tyre placard below the A pillar next to drivers door bottom hinge?
If not, then the Citroen Factory Plate is likely riveted to the chassis rail support for the Right Hand Side engine mount and has the build month and year which you can use to create the RPO.

The vin will start with a V not U
VF7 LA = Citroen C4 (series 1) 3 door saloon
RFKC = EW10J4S RFK (Euro4) 130kW/180hp BE4/5L manual gearbox

Found it build date 05/05
So no tyre pressure sticker visible anywhere in the drivers door opening?
Was the Factory Plate riveted to chassis rail support for engine mount ?

1st May 2005 = build date 10401
I use https://cats-citroen.com/citroen/organumber.html to convert RPO/OPR/DAM/MAD to build date, there are plenty of other websites and I think @seasink has posted a excel formula.

You'll have to do some research and see where other 2005 C4 VTS cars were built, I reckon it'll be Mulhouse so your
DAM would be 1040188

If we return to the rear axle catalogue tinyurl I posted above, the correct parts for your car is the first row, which is one piece hub+rotor
Until OPR 10897 = 09/09/2006
DAM 10898UW = 10/09/2006 built at CENTRE DE WUHAN
DAM 1089888 = 10/09/2006 built at CENTRE DE MULHOUSE
DAM 1101877 = 08/01/2007 built at ARGENTINE BUENOS AIRES

And if you navigate to the ABS section it'll show the separate ABS tooth ring in my first screenshot.