Cheap registrations

I don't like these threads where poeple claim "there is poeple abusing the system everywhere" ..... To this I call "bullshit". I'm sure it happens, but I'm guessing 99.99999995% of the cars on the scheme are just poeple like you and me that want to tinker with there old cars.

Now the bit I REALLY hate is where other poeple claim "XXX car isn't a classic, they are abusing the scheme.". Especially if its something like a crappy old commadore .... Just because YOU don't care about these cars, doesn't mean others don't. The generation that grew up in the back seat of these "plastic era commodores" ... or drove them when they were teenagers are now wanting them as project cars. Each generation considers the cars they grew up in the backseat of as a "classic" in there eyes. The old stuff has less and less popularity around the world every single day as the generations that grew up with them slowly die off .... eg: How many want to own and restore pre-war cars these days ....

Just let poeple enjoy what they like, and if its not your cuppa tea .... just move along, its nothing to do with you :)
Agree about choice of car - no accounting for taste, especially mine.

BUT tradie‘s utes full of tools on their way to a job? Clear violation of Victorian scheme

Similarly use of car every day when scheme allows 40 or 90/year

ONe bloke was stopped by Mr Plod. Showed logbook filled in in pencil with the right date.

Cop „Outta the car, you’re busted“

„But I‘ve filled it in for today“

„Yes but we‘ve got you on number plate cam for the last week. Nothing here in the logbook about that“

AT least in Victoria they are starting to get serious, so the dodgy logbook trick may not fly quite so well, but I do still worry about the scheme being spoiled for those who really need it

THey have also raided a few car clubs on monthly meeting night, finding few had logbooks filled in, so care is needed.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Dad's Hijet was just like this one, same colour and all. The advantage of having us kids rolling around in the back on the bare metal floor was; we could warn him when the little 2 stroke twin (which was under the rear floor) was about to seize for the umpteenth time.🤣
images (27).jpeg

Of course owning one of these little vans has other advantages too.😉

gcb58jhdl1q61.jpg

Agree about choice of car - no accounting for taste, especially mine.

BUT tradie‘s utes full of tools on their way to a job? Clear violation of Victorian scheme

Similarly use of car every day when scheme allows 40 or 90/year

ONe bloke was stopped by Mr Plod. Showed logbook filled in in pencil with the right date.

Cop „Outta the car, you’re busted“

„But I‘ve filled it in for today“

„Yes but we‘ve got you on number plate cam for the last week. Nothing here in the logbook about that“

AT least in Victoria they are starting to get serious, so the dodgy logbook trick may not fly quite so well, but I do still worry about the scheme being spoiled for those who really need it

THey have also raided a few car clubs on monthly meeting night, finding few had logbooks filled in, so care is needed.

Best Wishes

Andrew
Don't worry about it .... Its the polices job to police... Just enjoy your cars and forget it. I'm just blown away by how good the scheme is in victoria. Every sunny day come spring its like a state wide car show. Everywhere I drive I see some old classic that's appears from nowhere.... Who would have thought I'd ever think "wow a 120y" .... or "look at that, a white camry, haven't seem one of them in decades".

Hmm that article is a bit light weight and short on details but may help some to get on to it. I suggest you look up the registration department of your state for the real genuine information.
I am in NSW and have historic rego on a bike. Yes sure cheap and the insurance is much cheaper too. Great:cool:. But I do have to belong to a motoring club that is listed, and that will accept my bike and certify it. That is free if you use the clubs certifying official. I must carry the "log book"(just a little paper booklet) and club member certificate and produce it if asked. I am allowed unlimited use for club outings or they list as an outing EG associated club runs, as well as 60 days independent riding. Gees that is much more than I do. Note using a historic vehicle for commercial use eg weddings, hire or similar is NOT allowed nor as a work vehicle. These are probably the rorts mentioned. Some people just look at the dollars to save and forget the fun, and f*ck it for the rest of us !:oops: You know who you are !
Jaahn
Victoria is similar but different. We have a 45 day or 90 day log book and you can use it as much as you want within those days. My cars are on 45 days and I've never come close to using them all, 45 days is almost 1 day a week and not many people take there car out every week.
Just to clarify, you can use your car for weddings but your not allowed to get paid for it. No commercial use at all. A few times I've bought one of my cars into work to work on it and then been asked to drop off a part to a customer and that's illegal.

These cheap regos aren't all they're cracked up to be.🤐
I've had a couple of days off and figured I'd better take a few things for an overdue run.
Studebaker's brake pedal went straight to the floor.🤦‍♂️ Strip and rebuild the M/C and away.
Jumped on the Harley Servicar, back brake pedal went down and stayed down.😡 Strip and rekit the M/C and away.
Into the white Mini, pulled up at the gate and it pulled hard right, got up the road a bit and I could smell.brake lining, front left wheel hot.🤬
Strip and rekit the L wheel cylinder and away.
The DWK took about a 1000 kicks to get it started.🥵
The Douglas started OK but the rear stand clip vibrated loose on the ride.🥺
I heard the stand start ting, ting ringing on the road halfway through the ride, bit of fence wire to the rescue.
I'm going out to try and start the Mustang now.
Pray for me.🙏

These cheap regos aren't all they're cracked up to be.🤐
I've had a couple of days off and figured I'd better take a few things for an overdue run.
Studebaker's brake pedal went straight to the floor.🤦‍♂️ Strip and rebuild the M/C and away.
Jumped on the Harley Servicar, back brake pedal went down and stayed down.😡 Strip and rekit the M/C and away.
Into the white Mini, pulled up at the gate and it pulled hard right, got up the road a bit and I could smell.brake lining, front left wheel hot.🤬
Strip and rekit the L wheel cylinder and away.
The DWK took about a 1000 kicks to get it started.🥵
The Douglas started OK but the rear stand clip vibrated loose on the ride.🥺
I heard the stand start ting, ting ringing on the road halfway through the ride, bit of fence wire to the rescue.
I'm going out to try and start the Mustang now.
Pray for me.🙏
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I must have half a dozen cars here that need 1000minor jobs. That's retirement right? I haven't driven the DS's in a couple of years as there simply isn't enough hours in the week to get to them. My wife wants to drive the CX .... all I really need to do is fix the damn LHM leaks .... still haven't got to them. It didn't help some numpty dismantled a traction on the ramps, so I can't easily get under the other cars (A hoist in the shed will fix that?? .... maybe ?? ..... that's another project in itself).

I'm guessing someone with both a hoist and ramps in there shed, will just end up with two cars in bits ... and no-where to work on the cars they need to actually drive :rolleyes:

Some might be surprised that much like the general population many Law enforcement Officers drive motor cars for enjoyment and exist in car clubs and motor sport, but a few will be like those that were hell bent on changing the very simple and effective law that regulated the Victorian motorists and enable them to access an extremely generous category that legislators permitted enthusiasts to drive and display their old cars much to the delight of most citizens who would gather about them to marvel over the appearance and recount stories of their ownership.

I tried hard to convince motoring clubs in Victoria to leave things as they were at that time, the funny thing (well to me at the time) I never ever came across anyone "abusing' the concessional legislation of the day. And I was young and keen to follow up such things! :)

I did ask the reason some wanted tighter laws as I wanted to understand this obsession people had that "someone" was getting away with something. Now they all alluded to stories they had heard on the grapevine? But not a single one ever pointed to an actual person with a name, just a dark suggestion that someone knew "someone" doing the wrong thing.

Maybe it was the Australian way then to never dob in someone that accounted for this reluctance to give up these terrible abusers that were so bad we needed draconian laws or regulations.:eek:

So of course if you ask for stronger laws and cite the idea that recreational car clubs needed the legislation, politicians will oblige and as I thought at the time that wont reduce such complaints at all as the "someone who knows someone, told them etc" stories will still be recounted and police will be motivated to "crack down"... it is inevitable and promotes other emotion like if you can't beat them join them. Human psychology!. And no matter what tighter more draconian fines, revenue imposts are imposed they will continue in the future accommodating those that complain. Hanrahan lives.

But then "I told you so" and lived long enough to point that out..:ROFLMAO::rolleyes: ! PS I have several cars on full registration and have never accessed the permit system!

Ken

My personal view on the matter, is that only original cars should be entitled to Historic/Club rego and to maintain that integrity, only marque car clubs should be able to approve cars. Having said that, my 1992 Patrol is now on club rego and I had to use a different club as the local Nissan club are not registered.

My personal view on the matter, is that only original cars should be entitled to Historic/Club rego and to maintain that integrity, only marque car clubs should be able to approve cars. Having said that, my 1992 Patrol is now on club rego and I had to use a different club as the local Nissan club are not registered.
Mmm, now to find that QLD Reliant club?🤔

Mmm, now to find that QLD Reliant club?🤔

I used to think that way .... but I've realised I love seeing the old hot rods and "mildly personalised " :clown: on the road as well...... eg: old 1940's sloper fords that were hotrodded in the 70's/80's ..... and still around.

If the intention is to preserve motoring history then no special registration regulations are required. The simple act of driving a nicely restored and even modified vehicle around your 'burb (or someone else's) allows people to appreciate your hard work and for you to accept kudos for your efforts. I don't know about you guys but I can identify a running, registered Invicta 4 1/2 litre S type as a historical vehicle without it needing to display Club plates. (https://insider.hagerty.com/car/1931-invicta-41-2-litre-s-type/) I suspect that Club plates are just a fiddle, because real clubs have metal badges!
Invicta Club badge.png

Don't worry about it .... Its the polices job to police... Just enjoy your cars and forget it. I'm just blown away by how good the scheme is in victoria. Every sunny day come spring its like a state wide car show. Everywhere I drive I see some old classic that's appears from nowhere.... Who would have thought I'd ever think "wow a 120y" .... or "look at that, a white camry, haven't seem one of them in decades".
Agree. Vast improvement on old scheme

Consequence is that they get used, which prolongs the life of the car - no better way to kill an oldie than to let it sit half protected and unused.

Best WIshes

Andrew

I like the Tasmanian "SI registration scheme" (Special Interest Vehicle Registration) No need to be a member of a car club, just need to meet the following requirements stated below.

I use to think that we had the worst scheme of all the states comparing cost with days but since they doubled the number of days and reduced the cost I have changed my opinion on that.

Special interest vehicle registration​

Special interest is a scheme that allows you to register certain vehicles for limited use at a lower registration cost. Find out more.

Which vehicles can be registered under special interest?

Special interest is separated into three classes: A, B and C
To be registered under class A your vehicle must be:
  • made at least 30 years from the date you apply
    • or be a street rod vehicle.
  • in exceptional condition inside and out either in original, restored or modified condition.
To be registered under class B your vehicle must be:
  • adapted and suitable for rally competitions; and
  • you must hold relevant rally competition licence (CAMS or AASA).
To be registered under class C your vehicle must be:
  • adapted for charity events
    • including TasBash, Variety and other recognised events.

Please note​

Campervans cannot be registered under the special interest scheme.

How often can I use a vehicle on special interest registration?

Special interest allows you:
  • one hundred and four days of using the vehicle if registered for 12 months
  • fifty two days of using the vehicle if registered for six months.
You must record all vehicle use within the logbook you were provided with when registering and carry the logbook in the vehicle at all times.

Are there any other conditions?

You must also:
  • continue to have another fully registered vehicle in your name
  • not use the vehicle to carry a load
  • not use the vehicle for hire or reward
  • maintain the competition license requrements of the particular class.

What are the benefits?

Special interest vehicles pay lower registration by having:
  • an exemption from motor tax
  • a lower MAIB insurance rate.

How do I apply?

1. Read the Registration Scheme for Special Interest Vehicles Handbook and complete the Application (MR161).
  2. 1 b. If applying for class B or class C Special Interest Registration submit the application form and necessary supplementary information to Registration and Licensing Services. If compliant with Class B or C conditions an Approval In Principle will be issued.
  3. Take your vehicle to be inspected at an Approved Inspection Station.
  4. If successful, submit your application at Service Tasmania with:
    1. your inspection report
    2. an approval in principle (for category B, C only) issued by Registration and Licensing Services
    3. your previous registration plates (if applicable)
    4. your Tasmanian licence or evidence of identity
    5. proof of entitlement.

What will I receive?

If your application is approved, you will receive:
  • black and white “SI” registration plates
  • a certificate of registration
  • a certificate of approved operations (listing the conditions of use)
  • a special interest logbook.

What if I sell the vehicle?

You are unable to transfer special Interest registration to a new owner.
If you are selling your vehicle you must:
  • cancel your registration
  • return your “SI” plates
  • return your logbook.
The new owner will need to make a new application if they wish the vehicle to stay on the scheme.

More information on all aspects of the scheme can be found within the special interest handbook.

I like the Tasmanian "SI registration scheme" (Special Interest Vehicle Registration) No need to be a member of a car club, just need to meet the following requirements stated below.

I use to think that we had the worst scheme of all the states comparing cost with days but since they doubled the number of days and reduced the cost I have changed my opinion on that.

Special interest vehicle registration​

Special interest is a scheme that allows you to register certain vehicles for limited use at a lower registration cost. Find out more.

Which vehicles can be registered under special interest?

Special interest is separated into three classes: A, B and C
To be registered under class A your vehicle must be:
  • made at least 30 years from the date you apply
    • or be a street rod vehicle.
  • in exceptional condition inside and out either in original, restored or modified condition.
To be registered under class B your vehicle must be:
  • adapted and suitable for rally competitions; and
  • you must hold relevant rally competition licence (CAMS or AASA).
To be registered under class C your vehicle must be:
  • adapted for charity events
    • including TasBash, Variety and other recognised events.

Please note​

Campervans cannot be registered under the special interest scheme.

How often can I use a vehicle on special interest registration?

Special interest allows you:
  • one hundred and four days of using the vehicle if registered for 12 months
  • fifty two days of using the vehicle if registered for six months.
You must record all vehicle use within the logbook you were provided with when registering and carry the logbook in the vehicle at all times.

Are there any other conditions?

You must also:
  • continue to have another fully registered vehicle in your name
  • not use the vehicle to carry a load
  • not use the vehicle for hire or reward
  • maintain the competition license requrements of the particular class.

What are the benefits?

Special interest vehicles pay lower registration by having:
  • an exemption from motor tax
  • a lower MAIB insurance rate.

How do I apply?

1. Read the Registration Scheme for Special Interest Vehicles Handbook and complete the Application (MR161).
  2. 1 b. If applying for class B or class C Special Interest Registration submit the application form and necessary supplementary information to Registration and Licensing Services. If compliant with Class B or C conditions an Approval In Principle will be issued.
  3. Take your vehicle to be inspected at an Approved Inspection Station.
  4. If successful, submit your application at Service Tasmania with:
    1. your inspection report
    2. an approval in principle (for category B, C only) issued by Registration and Licensing Services
    3. your previous registration plates (if applicable)
    4. your Tasmanian licence or evidence of identity
    5. proof of entitlement.

What will I receive?

If your application is approved, you will receive:
  • black and white “SI” registration plates
  • a certificate of registration
  • a certificate of approved operations (listing the conditions of use)
  • a special interest logbook.

What if I sell the vehicle?

You are unable to transfer special Interest registration to a new owner.
If you are selling your vehicle you must:
  • cancel your registration
  • return your “SI” plates
  • return your logbook.
The new owner will need to make a new application if they wish the vehicle to stay on the scheme.

More information on all aspects of the scheme can be found within the special interest handbook.
Col,
Can you tow a trailer or caravan ?
Bob D

Hi Bob

I'm not sure but would say no because that would constitute a load, and carrying a load is not allowed.
That's a shame. With the NSW Historic rego I can tow my race car.

Col,
Can you tow a trailer or caravan ?
Bob D
Hi Bob

I'm not sure but would say no because that would constitute a load, and carrying a load is not allowed.
That's a shame. With the NSW Historic rego I can tow my race car.
Here are the Conditions of use for "Class A" which would be most cars on the scheme. Definitely no trailer towing.

This is a copy and paste from the handbook which can be looked at in full by clicking the italics in the last line of post #33

Class A conditions of use include:
 Restricted to 104 days of use within a 12 month registration period, 52 days of use if registered for a 6 month period.
 The registered operator must maintain the Tasmanian registration of at least one non conditionally registered motor vehicle in their name throughout the registration period of the SI registered vehicle
 The registered operator must maintain the Special Interest and Club Event Vehicles Log Book allocated to the particular vehicle.
 The vehicle cannot carry a load or tow a trailer and must not be used for hire or reward Note: For the purposes of this section a load does not include passengers or general items that are associated with the recreational use activity (i.e. done for enjoyment i.e. not for work) of the vehicle. The carrying of commercial loads or industrial use (e.g. heavy or large loads) is not permitted.

Towing and loads​

Historic vehicles can tow a trailer that is either:

• fully registered or
  • registered as an historic vehicle (trailer) or
  • exempt from registration or
  • has a current unregistered vehicle permit.
Historic vehicles must meet these requirements if carrying a load:

• loads cannot be carried for commercial purposes
  • loads must be the private property of the vehicle operator and/or carried as part of a club event
  • loads must be restrained to the standards detailed in the Load Restraint Guidelaunch.

Here are the Conditions of use for "Class A" which would be most cars on the scheme. Definitely no trailer towing.

This is a copy and paste from the handbook which can be looked at in full by clicking the italics in the last line of post #33

Class A conditions of use include:
 Restricted to 104 days of use within a 12 month registration period, 52 days of use if registered for a 6 month period.
 The registered operator must maintain the Tasmanian registration of at least one non conditionally registered motor vehicle in their name throughout the registration period of the SI registered vehicle
 The registered operator must maintain the Special Interest and Club Event Vehicles Log Book allocated to the particular vehicle.
 The vehicle cannot carry a load or tow a trailer and must not be used for hire or reward Note: For the purposes of this section a load does not include passengers or general items that are associated with the recreational use activity (i.e. done for enjoyment i.e. not for work) of the vehicle. The carrying of commercial loads or industrial use (e.g. heavy or large loads) is not permitted.

Towing and loads​

Historic vehicles can tow a trailer that is either:

• fully registered or
  • registered as an historic vehicle (trailer) or
  • exempt from registration or
  • has a current unregistered vehicle permit.
Historic vehicles must meet these requirements if carrying a load:

• loads cannot be carried for commercial purposes
  • loads must be the private property of the vehicle operator and/or carried as part of a club event
  • loads must be restrained to the standards detailed in the Load Restraint Guidelaunch.

Its a shame that not all states have the same regulations.