Cheap registrations

No mention of Victoria in the article, and Ben Z comes from Victoria. Hmm. Did I not read the article properly?

I only posted for information. Did not check for accuracy etc.

Hmm that article is a bit light weight and short on details but may help some to get on to it. I suggest you look up the registration department of your state for the real genuine information.
I am in NSW and have historic rego on a bike. Yes sure cheap and the insurance is much cheaper too. Great:cool:. But I do have to belong to a motoring club that is listed, and that will accept my bike and certify it. That is free if you use the clubs certifying official. I must carry the "log book"(just a little paper booklet) and club member certificate and produce it if asked. I am allowed unlimited use for club outings or they list as an outing EG associated club runs, as well as 60 days independent riding. Gees that is much more than I do. Note using a historic vehicle for commercial use eg weddings, hire or similar is NOT allowed nor as a work vehicle. These are probably the rorts mentioned. Some people just look at the dollars to save and forget the fun, and f*ck it for the rest of us !:oops: You know who you are !
Jaahn

Last edited:
Reactions: COL
Hmm that article is a bit light weight and short on details but may help some to get on to it. I suggest you look up the registration department of your state for the real genuine information.
I am in NSW and have historic rego on a bike. Yes sure cheap and the insurance is much cheaper too. Great:cool:. But I do have to belong to a motoring club that is listed, and that will accept my bike and certify it. That is free if you use the clubs certifying official. I must carry the "log book"(just a little paper booklet) and club member certificate and produce it if asked. I am allowed unlimited use for club outings or they list as an outing EG associated club runs, as well as 60 days independent riding. Gees that is much more than I do. Note using a historic vehicle for commercial use eg weddings, hire or similar is NOT allowed nor as a work vehicle. These are probably the rorts mentioned. Some people just look at the dollars to save and forget the fun, and f*ck it for the rest of us !:oops: You know who you are !
Jaahn
QLD is a bit different in some regards.
You can attend an event that is sanctioned and advertised by any incorporated motoring club, it doesn't have to be directly sanctioned by your own club.
You can use a historic vehicle for immediate family for weddings, funerals, formals etc.
You can attend, fetes, displays etc.
You can drive any distance preparing for, or travelling to and from the aforementioned events.
There is no log book system.
You can drive within 15 km of the registered address for testing purposes.
You can drive any distance for repairs.

WA is different again and, like all of them, not static with respect to conditions.

My message? Check your local state requirements super-carefully. Here there are two parallel systems, one for unmodified (i.e. original spec) cars and one for modified cars including hotrods (must be OK engineering-wise to comply for licensing first and foremost).

No mention of Victoria in the article, and Ben Z comes from Victoria. Hmm. Did I not read the article properly?
Victoria is mentioned under the picture of the white BMW.

I wish QLD was vehicles 25 years of age for club rego, and not 30.
That way I could run the historic white 1997 Ford Festiva 5 door hatch I've been lusting for.
One owner (this year) and hardly any accidents (this year).
Apply a "Classic Not Plastic" sticker to the back window, start cruising and hitting the car shows.
Isn't she a beauty.😍

20220814_195854.jpg

The other thing to remember is that it is NOT registration ( at least in Victoria ), it is a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle, which has consequences.

While I am a firm believer in Watkins‘ first legal principle - „nothing‘s illegal until you‘re caught“, or at least caught and face a meaningful consequence, if you are not totally compliant with the permit you are a) driving an unregistered vehicle and b) uninsured

If you find this out shortly after driving into the back of somebody‘s ferrari or hurting somebody else, it will end in tears.

Club permits are used as a cheap rego dodge by all sorts and there are dodgy internet clubs galore which will sign you off without question. A goodly percentage of the tradies‘ utes or ratty old Commodes which kept trying to kill me in the days when I rode to work were on club plates, but clearly on their way to work.

The risk is that scumbags like this will spoil it for the genuine enthusiast, who is often old and who can‘t afford to pay multiples of 800.00 or whatever to be able to drive his/her/their pride and joy, especially if multiple cars.

At least in Victoria Mr Plod is quite unhappy about abuse of the scheme, so it is beginning to be policed. The risk is that they will „fix“ it by returning to the dark ages ( have to have written permit form club official for any use on road ). This would be very bad for everybody, especially those who like their old cars but who are not all that club oriented. To say nothing of the poor bugger in the club who will be landed with the paperwork.

I am crap at paperwork , so have all except the Haflinger on full rego, but I am fortunate in being able to afford the choice, at least at the moment. Many can‘t, so we do need to be careful how we use it ourselves and also be willing to notify egregious misuses of the scheme, however much this may grate to most of us.

Best Wishes

Andrew

The other thing to remember is that it is NOT registration ( at least in Victoria ), it is a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle, which has consequences.
QLD's terminology is Special Interest Vehicle (SIV) concessional registration.
spoil it for the genuine enthusiast, who is often old and who can‘t afford to pay multiples of 800.00 or whatever to be able to drive his/her/their pride and joy, especially if multiple cars.
Hey that's me, except for the old bit.😲
At least in Victoria Mr Plod is quite unhappy about abuse of the scheme, so it is beginning to be policed.
I've only been pulled over once in a SIV. The officer wanted me to take a photo of him standing with my Reliant 3 wheeler, arms folded and flashing lights in the background.🤣
I am crap at paperwork , so have all except the Haflinger on full rego, but I am fortunate in being able to afford the choice, at least at the moment.
QLD's pretty easy, dating certificate from the club, (my club just posts it out after I Email either a photo of a rego slip or photos of the chassis and engine numbers).
Then there's only one form to fill in, whether the vehicle is already registered or not. The only caveat on that is if it is new rego (or the existing rego has standard plates) and you wish to apply your own personalised plates rather than use SIV plates, then there is another form to attach your own plates.

Hmm yes i looked at the paper from Service NSW and it says CERTIFICATE OF CONDITIONAL REGISTERATION. Special conditions apply, refer certificate of approved operations, G094, OL3.
It is not a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle as that is listed as another option on the CTP Insurance form.
Jaahn

Last edited:
QLD's terminology is Special Interest Vehicle (SIV) concessional registration.

Hey that's me, except for the old bit.😲

I've only been pulled over once in a SIV. The officer wanted me to take a photo of him standing with my Reliant 3 wheeler, arms folded and flashing lights in the background.🤣

QLD's pretty easy, dating certificate from the club, (my club just posts it out after I Email either a photo of a rego slip or photos of the chassis and engine numbers).
Then there's only one form to fill in, whether the vehicle is already registered or not. The only caveat on that is if it is new rego (or the existing rego has standard plates) and you wish to apply your own personalised plates rather than use SIV plates, then there is another form to attach your own plates.
Good that you had a cop with a sense of humour

Chap in Austin Seven Club years ago got a speeding ticket. Demanded a camera photo, not so he could contest it, but so he could frame the photo

Probably also good that you got one with no idea of how fast your Reliant is :)

A

Good that you had a cop with a sense of humour

Chap in Austin Seven Club years ago got a speeding ticket. Demanded a camera photo, not so he could contest it, but so he could frame the photo

Probably also good that you got one with no idea of how fast your Reliant is :)

A
Even funnier, when I got home I'd just finished telling my wife what happened and my mobile started ringing.
"Hi it's Constable Matthew ***** from the ******* Police Station, do you know your Reliant is unregistered"?
Me "Err no".😳
"It's just expired, best sort it out before someone else pulls you over".
Turned out he was showing his mates at the station the photo I'd taken on his IPad of him with the car and one asked "what make of car is it"?
So he looked up the rego number to find out.
In my defence I have a dozen regos and for whatever reason Transport had shoved the Reliant's renewal in the same envelope as another car and I hadn't noticed it.🤷‍♂️

In hindsight I should have probably gone back to town and bought a Lotto ticket.🤔

Getting my R17 Registered at Vic roads a few years back.
He said wait a minute. He ducked back inside and came our with 4 other blokes.
I thought, here is trouble :(
Nope, they were Renault and other car enthusiasts
They had a good look around, over and under.
Got my full plates :)

Getting my R17 Registered at Vic roads a few years back.
He said wait a minute. He ducked back inside and came our with 4 other blokes.
I thought, here is trouble :(
Nope, they were Renault and other car enthusiasts
They had a good look around, over and under.
Got my full plates :)
Unfortunately up here not every Transport employee is an enthusiast. You don't have to actually present the car/bike to register it in QLD, they go off the safety certificate for the vehicle details. When I first registered my Reliant Regal the lady behind the counter couldn't find the make and model on "The System". She said "just a minute" and headed out the back. She came back with a big smile a few minutes later and said "all good, the boys out the back said it's a 1968 Valiant Regal".
Close but no cigar.🙄

images (19).jpeg
images (21).jpeg

They are pretty close, there is just a one wheel difference

I don't like these threads where poeple claim "there is poeple abusing the system everywhere" ..... To this I call "bullshit". I'm sure it happens, but I'm guessing 99.99999995% of the cars on the scheme are just poeple like you and me that want to tinker with there old cars.

Now the bit I REALLY hate is where other poeple claim "XXX car isn't a classic, they are abusing the scheme.". Especially if its something like a crappy old commadore .... Just because YOU don't care about these cars, doesn't mean others don't. The generation that grew up in the back seat of these "plastic era commodores" ... or drove them when they were teenagers are now wanting them as project cars. Each generation considers the cars they grew up in the backseat of as a "classic" in there eyes. The old stuff has less and less popularity around the world every single day as the generations that grew up with them slowly die off .... eg: How many want to own and restore pre-war cars these days ....

Just let poeple enjoy what they like, and if its not your cuppa tea .... just move along, its nothing to do with you :)

Now the bit I REALLY hate is where other poeple claim "XXX car isn't a classic, they are abusing the scheme.". Especially if its something like a crappy old commadore .... Just because YOU don't care about these cars, doesn't mean others don't. The generation that grew up in the back seat of these "plastic era commodores" ... or drove them when they were teenagers are now wanting them as project cars. Each generation considers the cars they grew up in the backseat of as a "classic" in there eyes. The old stuff has less and less popularity around the world every single day as the generations that grew up with them slowly die off .... eg: How many want to own and restore pre-war cars these days ....

Just let poeple enjoy what they like, and if its not your cuppa tea .... just move along, its nothing to do with you :)
Damn Skippy, no-one is telling me my newly acquired 1989 Suzuki Super Carry isn't a modern day classic. Them's fighting words.👊
Yes they might still make them in India, but mine's the "real deal", made in Japan, genuine original, Hiroshima Screamer.
I remember my brothers and I rolling around in the back of the old man's 360cc 2 stroke Daihatsu Hijet, back in the 70s, no fancy pants seats or seat belts back then.
Those were the days.🤩
The early Daihatsus are hard to find, so I bought the next best thing.😉