car audio

And as a reference point, I have a Kicker IX404 amplifier that is 4x40 watts RMS. It puts out oodles of clean power (power figure is underrated) and happily powers 2 6.5" splits and a 10" subwoofer (bridged).

I recommend them strongly as you can get them for $400 and the quality is excellent. :) I went on someone elses recommendation and have never looked back, it craps all over my 'no name' amplifier, rated at something crazy like "600 Watts".

Cheers,
Adrian

:)

It's funny how RMS is the 0.7071 of the peak of the sign wave but PMPO (if achievable for the given bit of equipment) is any worthless distorted garbage that exceeds the peak.
All to do with sales. Whaddayareckon :confused:

ntrx, I remember owning a "Profile" amp which was the guts of a Kenwood amp & was quoted at 250watts a channel (which was big in those days). It was probably more like 50watts & was quite OK with the gain backed right off.

Jaycar seem to be the most honest of the lot & I think the honesty has paid off in the long run.

Yeah, I must admit Jaycar are the only ppl i know that actually have articals in their catalogues from mags that flame them about their overrated amps. Good on them.

However you do get what you pay for with the Response amps when it comes to quality. No doubt about it that they are good value for money, and fine for pretty much all ppl in this forum, but you just cannot use these amps if you pay big bucks for speakers, headunit and assorted eq's.

'Sine' wave, guys :p

Notice how Jaycar even tell you in their catalogue about how the manufacturer's rating is not right (overrated) for some of the amps?

Sorry about my ignorance, but to run 4 speakers and a bridged output for the sub off one amp, have you got 6 RCA jacks on the amp?

Cheers

Stuey

No, four input. L & R front and rear, then 2 more for daisy chaining anoher amp onto it. Bridging basically takes the + singnal from one output and connects it to the - of another. Becasue you have the smae speaker load shared over 2 channels, the resistance is seen as half to each channel and the output increases anywhere from 30% to 400%(very rare). So then with 2 channels running 'say' twice as much output added together you have effectively quadrupiled the output to that speaker.

Brad