C5 pollution fault

ARCHRIVAL

Fellow Frogger
The ever reliable c5 was feeling neglected this morning . Spending too much money on other mobiles .
So as punishment up pops an anti pollution warning . Assuming it was just a blocked particulate filter I tried the dump on the go pedal to blow the cobwebs out , too late all I get is a throttled wet sock a a near complete loss of power on nothing over 3k revs . Bugger what next .
A 100k thrash up the freeway locked in 4th averaging 3k revs to cook the shit out, but not to be still sick and sad upsetting the auto. Next step do I need to think CAT blockage or Paticulate filter completely blocked requiring removal and cooking or rinsing out
Just after experiencing the car driving so smooth on its new boots . I was thinking of upgrading to a nice 2014 tourer that has popped up
It’s beyond me !!!. Could it be something else .
I know the car only gets short pussy walks of less than 8k per today but that’s its lot in life.

Sorry, I've forgotten if it's petrol or diesel. If it's the V6 petrol, then you may have a dud coil (or 2). The "anti-pollution" message appears because unburnt fuel upsets the O2 sensor(s). Alternatively an O2 sensor maybe stuffed.

PP2000 will tell you which cylinder.

If it's a diesel, then you might also consider the EGR and fuel filter. In any case, definitely need to get codes read.

yep 2l oiler .
the suddenness of the power loss was a shock .
admittedly just filled the tank with Costco cheap fuel don't know whether a bad batch would do that .
have to sparingly use the car for another 14 days before eurocare can book it in .
would be great if it is just fuel filters .
fingers crossed

the EGR rubbish with its intercooler on the bt50 shat me so much that it is now hanging on the fence and the truck is running like a dream

Yes a batch of bad fuel will immediately clog the fuel filter, I got a depollution fault message on mine after I put half a tank of Wollies fuel into the tank a few months ago that was fixed by replacing the fuel filter so I would try that first off. The latest event has reinforced my usual practice of only using Shell or BP fuel.

Cheers, Ken

Some years ago I had a similar sudden depollution fault message appear. I had added some diesel injector cleaner to a tank of fuel ( no real reason for doing so, no symptoms ), and promptly left for Europe for 6 weeks. Upon return the car displayed the dreaded fault. I assume the injection cleaner had released some deposits. Several days of "Italian tune up" and it cleared. That would seem to add to Ken's bad fuel/clogged filter experience.
Not directly connected to your diesel problem, but similar :
I recently had to dismantle and clean the carburettor on a 2 cylinder small 4 stroke black outboard. Youtube contributions reveal many examples of deposits forming on unused petrol outboards after storage ( even when drained of fuel ) in cold North American conditions. E10 is renowned for causing problems like varnish and a gel like formation. I ordered "genuine" overhaul kit ( 2 specific rubber gaskets, 3 O rings and a needle and float, and NO jets ) .. 9 days Melbourne to Brisbane. The backup kit bought online is probably still 6 weeks away. E10 is never recommended for marine outboards.
These diesels like and need a good hot use occasionally. I believe the commonly recommended 20 minutes of highway use is not enough.
Having witnessed a FORCED REGENERATION, it is not a pretty sight. An unloaded diesel sitting till operating temperature, then revving itself to 4000 RPM for 20 minutes ( over a concrete surface as the bitumen will melt ) , then magically settling itself to a normal idle.
Not a mechanically sympathetic or tuneful experience.
For fun, do a Google search on runaway diesels. Scarey.
Even more amusing is watching the starting procedures for Lanz Bulldog single cylinder diesel tractors. ( flame throwers or shotgun cartridges are involved ).

My diesel Peugeot V6 regularly gets this fault code. I have tried the Italian tune-up, more expensive fuel, topping up the additive, the service people to identify the fault (no fault), diesel injector cleaner and long trips. It seems entirely random and will be there one day and gone the next. All I can be reasonably sure of isit does not like idling (even idling down a steep hill), and it prefers long fast trips.

The Pollution Fault isn't a specific code - a range of combustion and exhaust system states can trigger one. Hence the need for an actual code read.

The Italian tune up in a diesel is a waste. So are so called premium fuels. I wonder if you have an intermittent problem with a sensor.

pulled the codes

Attachments

• PXL_20220909_055640940~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_055640940~2.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20220909_055631933~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_055631933~2.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220909_055610742~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_055610742~2.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220909_055601858~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_055601858~2.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220909_055550110~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_055550110~2.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20220909_055539401~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_055539401~2.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20220909_055525951~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_055525951~2.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 76
does indicate that she is all bunged up .
I know it comes in 3's but the accumulator on the humble d special has now just shat it's self .
2 steps forward 3 steps back

Which engine? Any older C5 with 6 speeds is most likely going to have RHR in the VIN, which is the DW10B engine. Try testing the vacuum system and see if it will hold a vacuum as on RHR it affects turbo boost and the air mixer (doser) valve and there is a Y-piece near the oil filter that often breaks. EGR is electromechanical on RHR, but still fails.

Re the V6 interjection! Which engine? 2.7 HDi? If so, each bank has a small vacuum capsule on the inlet manifold controlling an air valve and they and their vacuum pipes break. Jaguar sells a repair kit, but PSA never did offer it separately. Worth checking these.

To add to David's comment:

Your codes show too much EGR, also a boost fault and an oxygen sensor fault which may result. The rough idle goes with this..

To add to David's comment:

Your codes show too much EGR, also a boost fault and an oxygen sensor fault which probably result. The rough idle goes with this..
the car still purrs but that's as far as it goes .
my querie is can this be solved without resorting to spanners and wads of pineapples .

An RHH engine. The EGR in these is on the front of the engine, with both electric and vacuum controls. You can easily see the shiny water cooler.

There's a well illustrated account of replacing one at https://www.scribd.com/document/511348447/Z-EGR-105-en, but hopefully it will be an electrical/vacuum issue.

The vacuum system in the RHH is as this diagram
vacuum.png

There's a service bulletin that might apply here. Look at the air mixer (doser) valve and see if an actuator rod has come off. Try to refit the rod as you are otherwise advised to replace the mixer, the solenoid valve and its vacuum pipe.

I assume that this is only visible after removing the inlet manifold as 6he EGR seems to be hiding under that ?