BX Time - '89 16v project

faulksy,

Why didn't you consult the parts page on catcar or ssg.asia?

Yes only one part number listed for the wheel arch liner item 9 on diagram.

Cheers, Ken

1700113332326.png

Thanks Ken, didn;t know those sites existed. I've got a hardcopy parts book but it's not to hand at the moment. Now to find a set of lliners

Likewise! Just used them to find a part for our Subaru FatBastard and saved an absolute motza. :love:

My 16V has just failed it's WOF due to rust at the back of the rear wheel arches, and I've seen other BX's with rust in this area. A problem here in NZ and probably much less so over there. Another area of concern are the A pillar door hinge top mountings - from memory rusting from the inside, how or why I don't know.

Only just picked up this thread - your car looks great. The clutch cable is designed for LHD, so for our RHD models they've simply re-fed the cable across to the right, complete with a sharp bend through a o-ring wire holder. My cable failed at this point.

I had a cambelt fail on me some years back, fortunately able to replace some bent valves, and no piston damage.

Attachments

• BX16V left hand rear wheel arch rust copy.jpg
    BX16V left hand rear wheel arch rust copy.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 55
  • BX16V right hand rear wheel arch rust copy.jpg
    BX16V right hand rear wheel arch rust copy.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 58
My 16V has just failed it's WOF due to rust at the back of the rear wheel arches, and I've seen other BX's with rust in this area. A problem here in NZ and probably much less so over there. Another area of concern are the A pillar door hinge top mountings - from memory rusting from the inside, how or why I don't know.

Only just picked up this thread - your car looks great. The clutch cable is designed for LHD, so for our RHD models they've simply re-fed the cable across to the right, complete with a sharp bend through a o-ring wire holder. My cable failed at this point.

I had a cambelt fail on me some years back, fortunately able to replace some bent valves, and no piston damage.
they wouldn't know to look there for rust in australia. So even if you had a rusty one .... I bet they'd never notice unless the exhaust fell off while they were checking it ..... :clown:

That's not rust, reminded me of this bucket being tower around. Never understood what they were thinking of salvaging from this

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_214926_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_20231117_214926_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 69
Think I’ve got a lead on a set of wheel arch liners. Slowly inching towards a roadworthy. This weekends fun was to reattach the lower brackets to both front and rear bumpers. Turns out one of the front bumper mounts had torn off the bumper when I wasn’t looking so that was also reattached. For the first time in a long time both bumpers are now securely fixed in place!

Next question is, does anybody know where Citroen/Peugeot decided to stamp the engine number? Hunting with a torch doesn’t reveal anything on a part of the engine that’s actually visible. I’ve found a small tag riveted to the block near the alternator but it only gives the DFW code.

Random thought, seeing as RHD 16V clutch cables are NLA has anyone tried converting the BE3 gearbox to a hydraulic clutch setup? I think some versions of the BE gearbox came with it from the factory.

Random thought, seeing as RHD 16V clutch cables are NLA has anyone tried converting the BE3 gearbox to a hydraulic clutch setup? I think some versions of the BE gearbox came with it from the factory.

I think you could, the BE3 on a 306 already has threaded hole for the hydraulic clutch fork pivot (blue arrow) in place of the Clutch Fork shaft, and opening with a plastic plate where the bellows around the clutch fork would go. You could possibly use the clutch fork and bellows from the BE4 in a 206 or C4 VTS but will have to look for a slave cylinder to mount on the black arrows, which is slightly different to the 206 BE4 slave cylinder.

BE3_forked.jpg

1713513533973.png

Yes! What a great idea. I’m sure if you scrolled through the Peugeot parts catalogue you’d find something. Maybe a diesel commercial?

Alternatively, see if a cable from a 306 or xantia, xm shown in the attached pdf can be made to fit.
I reckon the differences will be the firewall grommet and picking the right outer cable length to get the right distance from firewall to hook on pedal.

Attachments

• Citroen_clutchcables.pdf
    58 KB · Views: 22
some great ideas there. I’ve got to get under the car to top up the gearbox oil so I’ll have a nose around. Finding space for the master might be interesting but could always look at a remote setup

No go on simply removing a blanking plate and fitting the clutch slave. Shouldn't be surprised really as Citroen never do things the easy way. There's no opening on the side of the box for a clutch arm and the slave cylinder mounts are used by the pressure regulator. Looks like a more custom approach is needed. Perhaps a pull type slave mounted to the top of the box

Have you considered whether it is possible to fit a concentric slave cylinder / release bearing as used in many later models? Then you only need to run a hydraulic pipe out of the bellhousing.

This is the arrangement from a DS4 with an EP6 engine and Piloted 6 speed ...

1713587343485.png
1713587453459.png

Last edited:
I suspect it is an interesting but difficult project. I’d stick to the original cable. You could get a new one made up locally

some great ideas there. I’ve got to get under the car to top up the gearbox oil so I’ll have a nose around. Finding space for the master might be interesting but could always look at a remote setup

I think looking at the details in the clutchcables pdf I posted and working out how to recondition the cable self adjust mechanism is the way to go.
But if you're keen on the work needed, the Xantia Turbo uses the ML gearbox with hydraulic clutch pedal, maybe one of these setups could work?

1713695150556.png

My plans to do something about the clutch have been sped up a little owing to the cable having snapped in the middle of Kings Way on the way home from the club's show and shine. There was another 16V at the show and shine so it was a good moment for comparing some things. The other 16V's clutch cable looked exactly like this NOS one

s-l1600.jpg

The cable fitted to my car is a Lecoy part but is missing a most of the spacers/rubber bushes and weights.

So the question is, does anyone out there have a 16V clutch cable they don't need hanging around? Also the lower speedo cable snapped

My plans to do something about the clutch have been sped up a little owing to the cable having snapped in the middle of Kings Way on the way home from the club's show and shine. There was another 16V at the show and shine so it was a good moment for comparing some things. The other 16V's clutch cable looked exactly like this NOS one

View attachment 240828

The cable fitted to my car is a Lecoy part but is missing a most of the spacers/rubber bushes and weights.

So the question is, does anyone out there have a 16V clutch cable they don't need hanging around? Also the lower speedo cable snapped
What is it about clutch cables that seem to snap in the most in opportune places🙄
I’ve only had two occasions…one in my DS in Lygon street Carlton, and another in a Fiat 124, again in the city.
😊

What is it about clutch cables that seem to snap in the most in opportune places🙄
I’ve only had two occasions…one in my DS in Lygon street Carlton, and another in a Fiat 124, again in the city.
😊
Fiat 124 clutch cables break on a regular basis, but usually during or after a club event. But then I also cracked the firewall untill it was strengthened 🤷