Buying A Xsara VTR

me too

mattg said:
I found this too in the VTS but now when I'm in the drivers seat I reac down with th right hand and i'm not pulling any sholder muscles now.

Matt :2cents:

I am also contemplating buying an older Xsara - will be test driving one on the weekend - but I'm a complete novice with the model. Do they share common parts eg engine with the Peugeot 306?

And do noisy fuel pumps indicate imminent failure... noise I can live with

Chris

Last edited:
acreid said:
I am also contemplating buying an older Xsara - will be test driving one on the weekend - but I'm a complete novice with the model. Do they share common parts eg engine with the Peugeot 306?

And do noisy fuel pumps indicate imminent failure... noise I can live with

Chris

Peugeot and Citroen being a part of the same parent company there is a lot of platform and part sharing. All the engines are shared with other Peugeot models. On the Mk1 Xsara's the 1.8L 8V and 16V and 2L 16V engines are same as those in the 306. There was also a Mk1 1.6L Auto, which replaced the 1.8L Auto with the SOHC 8V engine, this was the same as the engine in the first series 206 1.6's.

As for the noisy fuel pump, I cannot really say. I suppose it would depend on how noisy and what sort of noise. It would be best to get some sort of professional inspection on the car to find out if that is potentially a problem.

Troy.

Go for the VTS

I had a glance at the other posts - and I feel obliged to tell ya that the VTS/VTR models ain't as glitch laden as they might sound. The only real problem I had with the VTS was the oxygen sensor, which after being replaced(under warranty) went away. I believe it was a result of using poor fuels anyway. That's something you do need to be careful of. Performance/running costs etc. are all to be recommended for the class. My wife has the 2.0L auto and it's pretty damn dependable too. Looks-wise the Xsara is a real grower. Not too many other four wheeled critters like her out there. As for space, i've got three children(admittedly all under ten), and they're all pretty comfy back there. Who wants a Mazda/Holden/Toyota anyway?. I think for price and perfomance, the Xsara is a great deal. After test driving the C4 last weekend, my wife and I have agreed to cling to last years model(figuratively speaking) for a little bit longer.

regards,
Keith
p.s. the C4 sucked a big one

TroyO said:
ABS was an option in the VTR (mine had ABS). The ABS unit is located under the bonnet behind the left headlight.

Troy.
Square silver box with leads coming out of it? Then this car has ABS :) ! Deal is done-pick up early next week. This will be the 2nd car and replace a Subie RX. Now I'm also looking at new VTS to replace my Clio RS. Two double chevrons in the garage :eek: At least they will be different colours!
Thx guys for all yr help

David

David, glad to hear you've found what you want.

Chris, my fuel pump is 4years/ 28500ks old and has been noisy since day1 - noise doesn't seem to impede performance.

i thought they had ABS standard - just not the Electronic Brake Force Distribution or whatever that computer controlled fore-aft braking technology is called

XsaraVTS said:
i thought they had ABS standard - just not the Electronic Brake Force Distribution or whatever that computer controlled fore-aft braking technology is called

Not when I bought my VTR in mid 2001. ABS with EBD was an option at the time, only standard on the VTS. Dual airbags became standard all Mk2's (Mk1 1.8L passenger airbag and ABS were options). It might have become standard on other models later.

Troy.

I took delivery of my Xsara VTS on Saturday! I couldn't recommend it enough!

OG15 said:
I took delivery of my Xsara VTS on Saturday! I couldn't recommend it enough!

Congratulations. But be sure to have the dealer's number stored in your mobile. You'll be seeing them quite often in the next 2 yrs. I've never met a Xsara owner who didn't have any claims during the warranty period :blackeye: . Also very nice to your Cit techs, bring the boys some pizza when you have your service. Having said this, I still have no regrets buying my Xsara. At least, all the niggles and defects came out during the first 2 yrs of ownership and all replaced under warranty. All my Jap cars gave up on me right after the warranty period and repair costs came from my own wallet. Honda - exhaust system, aircon compressor replaced, Nissan - radiator, dampners replaced, Toyota - fuel injectors, dampners replaced...major stuff that emptied my wallet.

Juan M. said:
Congratulations. But be sure to have the dealer's number stored in your mobile. You'll be seeing them quite often in the next 2 yrs.

Thankfully Citroens have a 3 year warranty now.

Troy.

Juan M. said:
Congratulations. But be sure to have the dealer's number stored in your mobile. You'll be seeing them quite often in the next 2 yrs. I've never met a Xsara owner who didn't have any claims during the warranty period :blackeye: . Also very nice to your Cit techs, bring the boys some pizza when you have your service. Having said this, I still have no regrets buying my Xsara. At least, all the niggles and defects came out during the first 2 yrs of ownership and all replaced under warranty. All my Jap cars gave up on me right after the warranty period and repair costs came from my own wallet. Honda - exhaust system, aircon compressor replaced, Nissan - radiator, dampners replaced, Toyota - fuel injectors, dampners replaced...major stuff that emptied my wallet.

Thanks. I had the Dealer's number in my phone as soon as I made the purchase.
I'm ready for all the niggles I may encounter, I've read about them for the past year and now it's my turn to... play. :D
I've got the new 3 year 100k warranty so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Took delivery of the VTR last night and I must say quite impressed with the NVH. Good torque but takes a little adjusting too less power after hopping out of the Cliosport :D

Things I need to get done under warranty

*Rattle from drivers window in the fully up position
*Squeaks from somewhere in the rear seat/hatch area
*Bad rattle from passenger side front door/dash

Anybody had similiar issues?

Ta :cheers:
David

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a pug 206xt, but then saw the special on the xsara vts.
The VTS is very tempting, but after reading the comments above it sounds like i should stick to the pug.
I like the sound of the VTS, and am going to test drive one this w/e, but are the mechanics of the car generally reliable?
I don't mind the odd rattle, but if the car isn't mechanically reliable i can't justify it.

Cheers.

ry205 said:
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a pug 206xt, but then saw the special on the xsara vts.
The VTS is very tempting, but after reading the comments above it sounds like i should stick to the pug.
I like the sound of the VTS, and am going to test drive one this w/e, but are the mechanics of the car generally reliable?
I don't mind the odd rattle, but if the car isn't mechanically reliable i can't justify it.

Cheers.

Mechanically they should just as reliable as Pugs, since they all share the same mechanicals.

FWIW, all the problems I have had in owning 3 Xsara's have been minor quibbles, they have been mechanically reliable. My father has my Mk1 Xsara now, and after 5 years it is still going strongly. The only recent problem was the original battery started to die (5 years out of the original battery is a good run), and once that was replaced all was good.

Troy.

I can't really comment from my personal experiences, having only had my VTS a week.
From everything I read prior to purchasing a Xsara, the majority of problems are minor cosmetic ones, and will be fixed under warranty - which is now 3 yrs 100000km.
The Xsara is more spacious and has the performance to match the 206, and a much better price at $25990 drive away compared to $34,990.00 + ORC.

Don't go the Pug

The VTS is a much better buy than the 206XT, with a couple of exceptions. Build quality is a wee bit better in the Pug, and so is driver visibility - especially rear. Things that the VTS has over the XT include performance(obviously), driver comfort - especially if you're tall/long of leg, handling and a much better gearbox, oh, and the headrests in the Pug are like bricks. I owned the 206XT for approx. 8 months and found there was always something bugging me about it. It had only done about 8K when the engine started seizing up everynow and again!. Offloaded it after 10K and got the VTS. Have done about 35K in it over the last 18 months and it's been an absolute joy that whole time. The only downside for the Cit is, it's resale is pretty shabby compared to the Pug.

Keef