Bulbs and globes for lights

Hi.

I notice in the owners manual that H7 12V 55W are used for both the low and high beam.

I might purchase online and add some of these to amortise the postage.

Cheers.

Do you really even use the fog lights? I cant imagine you get much fog even in Ballarat?

But if you're dead keen on keeping them functioning (for the one or two times a year tops I imagine...) and you're not wanting to buy from china, you'll have to spring the dollars for an OEM one, or get one from pick apart or something.

Do you really even use the fog lights? I cant imagine you get much fog even in Ballarat?

But if you're dead keen on keeping them functioning (for the one or two times a year tops I imagine...) and you're not wanting to buy from china, you'll have to spring the dollars for an OEM one, or get one from pick apart or something.

I've never needed them ... well ever in ballarat. If the fog is so thick I need them, I'm getting off the road. You need to crawl along at about 20km/h if your using foglights .... at this speed, I'm going to have someone run up my @rse doing 60+km/h blindly.

I've never needed them ... well ever in ballarat. If the fog is so thick I need them, I'm getting off the road. You need to crawl along at about 20km/h if your using foglights .... at this speed, I'm going to have someone run up my @rse doing 60+km/h blindly.

You're doing it wrong - foglights mean you can do the speed limit in any conditions!

The fog / cornering light on the Peugeot 2008 has blown on the LHS.

According to the owner’s manual they are PSX-24W.
At those prices it could be worth checking your Peugeot dealer, or EAI, the part number is 6216.H0

Someone posted on this forum about an online supplier that they sourced their bulbs from. Can you please repost this.

May have been me...
Powerbulbs - a UK company but they offer free shipping to Australia if you spend over about $28. (Probably a UK Pounds trigger price that varies with exchange rate.) - Just looked it up, it's UK15 Pounds.

Don't forget to put in that discount code, currently it's SHINEON and it takes 21% off the total. This makes it $26.29 per bulb and if you buy two, postage will be free. (exchange rate will vary constantly, so price may fluctuate a little by the time you click the link...)

I've found them great to buy from.

And about LEDs: I'm not so certain that fitting LEDs would be a problem with FOG lights - true FOG lights are quite different from driving lights, they have a wide, diffused spread of light, the reverse of driving/spot lights which have a long, penetrating beam. The whole point of proper fog lights is acceptance that a powerful straight-ahead beam will just bounce back off the fog and dazzle the driver, so the idea is a wide spray of scattered light that picks up roadsides, it does NOT try to beam all its light directly in front of the car. This diffuse light must be mounted very low on the car, to try to shine through the still layer of clear air that often sits below a layer of fog. I suspect that these LED bulbs would work very well in a true fog light, with lens and reflector designed to direct the light wide and low.
However I suspect many modern cars' "fog lights" are just low mounted spot lights, with a strong penetrating beam that is useless in the fog. They are there to decorate the car and make the buyer feel like that are getting something extra. My Peugeot 307 was like that, the standard factory "fog" lights were bloody hopeless. Before that I had a TR Magna with Hella (Or Narva?) rectangular fog lights that did a good job in the fog, and my partner had an SB Barina with cheap Hansa branded oval fog lights I fitted, they were under $50 a set and were bloody amazing, never seen anything better in foggy conditions. (We live in a very fog-prone area, so it matters to me.)

It is illegal to drive with fog lights on except when there is rain, snow or fog (in Victoria at least) and under those conditions, properly fitted real fog lights are not dazzling to oncoming drivers.
Trouble is, too many duffers drive with them on in no fog, or fit driving lights and use them as fog lights.

Last edited:
May have been me...
Powerbulbs - a UK company but they offer free shipping to Australia if you spend over about $28. (Probably a UK Pounds trigger price that varies with exchange rate.) - Just looked it up, it's UK15 Pounds.

Don't forget to put in that discount code, currently it's SHINEON and it takes 21% off the total. This makes it $26.29 per bulb and if you buy two, postage will be free. (exchange rate will vary constantly, so price may fluctuate a little by the time you click the link...)

And about LEDs: I'm not so certain that fitting LEDs would be a problem with FOG lights - true FOG lights are quite different from driving lights, they have a wide, diffused spread of light, the reverse of driving/spot lights which have a long, penetrating beam. The whole point of proper fog lights is acceptance that a powerful straight-ahead beam will just bounce back off the fog and dazzle the driver, so the idea is a wide spray of scattered light that picks up roadsides, it does NOT try to beam all its light directly in front of the car. This diffuse light must be mounted very low on the car, to try to shine through the still layer of clear air that often sits below a layer of fog. I suspect that these LED bulbs would work very well in a true fog light, with lens and reflector designed to direct the light wide and low.
However I suspect many modern cars' "fog lights" are just low mounted spot lights, with a strong penetrating beam that is useless in the fog. They are there to decorate the car and make the buyer feel like that are getting something extra. My Peugeot 307 was like that, the standard factory "fog" lights were bloody hopeless. Before that I had a TR Magna with Hella (Or Narva?) rectangular fog lights that did a good job in the fog, and my partner had an SB Barina with cheap Hansa branded oval fog lights I fitted, they were under $50 a set and were bloody amazing, never seen anything better in foggy conditions. (We live in a very fog-prone area, so it matters to me.)

It is illegal to drive with fog lights on except when there is rain, snow or fog (in Victoria at least) and under those conditions, properly fitted real fog lights are not dazzling to oncoming drivers.
Trouble is, too many duffers drive with them on in no fog, or fit driving lights and use them as fog lights.

Fog lights in rain are a bad idea too - it reflects off the road surface and dazzles you and oncoming traffic alike... Use them in fog - period.

The issue with LED lights in fog is wavelength, not focus so much - although focus is still important otherwise they glare up and reflect back off the fog defeating the whole purpose of low level lights...

Light will refract off all the water droplets in fog, high wavelength (white) light will scatter more and not "cut through" the fog. This is why fogs were always yellow. Halogens are still king here, although a proper yellow led "might" be ok.

The only time proprietary fog-lights seem to be any use is when the water vapour is so thick that your speed is limited to about 3-4kmh (walking speed). I found that in my RX4 and Koleos, properly adjusted low-beam headlights together with the remote headlight adjustment wheel on the dash provide a very good fog-light substitute with the minimum of back-scatter. Add a pair of yellow snow-glasses and you are equipped for the Antarctic!

The heavy trucks thundering through night pea soupers at speed seem to be getting some benefit from their fog lamp arrays.
Progress on minor roads without white lines or reflective posts becomes more difficult. The worst are lightly used unmade bush tracks at night. In a bad fog you can lose the track.

May have been me...

Hi.

Thanks simca1100. Now that I see the link, I can recognise the URL, as the one I had seen previously.

The lamps are not yellow, but white, and are selectable on or off for fog lamps. This vehicle also has a rear facing fog lamp, mainly to alert following drivers of a vehicle. They are also illuminated for cornering lamps at speeds less than 40 kmh. I generally don't have them on, but in the fog I would use them. But then again I don't generally drive the vehicle, Mrs Whippet does, and she would have no interest or understanding of fog lights or even how to turn them on. She doesn't even use the cruise control on the highway/freeway. She exhibits the driving style and techniques that would drive me nuts if I was in a following vehicle, but I have learnt to bite my tongue.

I agree with Kim above, that if you don’t have dedicated fog lamps, main beams on Low are often adequate.

Cheers.

Not sure if the law has changed, but not too long ago it was illegal to retrofit LED bulbs into a light/reflector designed for halogen ones anyway.
It's to do with the way the light is dispersed.
Like many automotive accessories on the market, it's not illegal to sell them, just to use them.🤷‍♂️

I wondered about this, appears they're legal if labelled ADR compliant, at least in NSW.
I looked at some PSX24W LED versions and found none labelled ADR compliant, with the ones from Osram labelled Off-Road only, meaning they are illegal to use yet remain legal to sell.

"Retrofitted LED globes are permitted as long as they are designed as a direct replacement for the original globe, and maintain the compliance of the lamp with the relevant requirements.
Except for a vehicle manufacturer’s approved replacement part, before purchasing an aftermarket
LED lamp or replacement LED globe for a fitted lamp, check that its manufacturer clearly states on its
packaging that the lamp/globe is suitable for road use and complies with the relevant ADR
requirements."
Sourced from attached RMS pdf

Attachments

• rms-20068-aftermarket-forward-facing-lamps-fitting-and-use-standards-information-no-64.pdf
    240.9 KB · Views: 654
The heavy trucks thundering through night pea soupers at speed seem to be getting some benefit from their fog lamp arrays.
naaa, they just know the road, probably. Used to follow the petrol tankers on Geelong Road, they went like the wind regardless, they could have been up 'n down the same bit of road four times a day ! Learnt this one from a retired petrol tank driver.... :)

Bob

Hi.

From AlexB RMS reference document in post #33.

I note the requirement that the light "is not projected above the lamp."

On the Peugeot 2008, the lamps are round, and the neither the globes or lamp have any shielding or cut-offs to shape the beam. The front of the lamp is clear with no inbuild lenses, and the reflector seems to be a conicial/parabolic shape to my eye. So I don't know how they comply with the Geometric Visibility as specified in the below snippet.

Cheers.

1655278492437.png

1655278512748.png

Looks like you have to press in on those lugs whilst ,pulling the lamp holder out ,I'm guessing there's not a lot of room up there , could it be possible to use a cable tie or hose clamp to press those tabs in then leaver out with a flaty ,some lanox could help on the 0 ring

globes or lamp have any shielding or cut-offs to shape the beam
I thought it was the distance of the filament from the base that determines the focus of the beam, and as noted by @Greenpeace a LED in the same reflector housing is likely to not disperse/focus the beam in the same way.
On a N5 306 with round Bosch Fog lights you use a 6mm allen key to adjust the beam downwards so that the geometric 5deg upwards line is horizontal.

I had round foggies many years ago, they put out a trapezoid shaped beam, strong top cut-off and wide. Very effective in fog and heavy rain.

Bob

eBay is cheap 2 for $10 free postage
Hi.

Cheap they may be, but having been caught previously, I don't believe that "xinda.oz" is physically based in NSW, but in China. There are pages of negative feedback if you click on the online store.

I want to buy from a legitimate supplier where I can have confidence that the supply chain is intact and I am purchasing genuine products made by a reputable manufacturer, and that I am not purchasing "knock-offs".

But I don't think that legitimate domestic suppliers are doing themselves any favour with high pricing strategies. It tends to direct customers to try lower cost alternatives.

Cheers.

1655344276492.png